Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Float Moose Hunting Partner May be needed. Pristine Ventures hunt

Red face Float Moose Hunting Partner May be needed. Pristine Ventures hunt

I may be in the market for a hunting partner for a pristine Ventures Float Moose hunt. Fly out of Fairbanks on 7 Sept. return on 16 or 17 Sept. Cost estimate $4000.00 for non-resident

Cost examples

airfare to Alaska 722.00

Charter flight in to bush 1900.00 if pilot has to make 2 trips. If we keep weight under 750 cut that in half.

Charter out. we float to a town and plane can make it in. 1000.00 if biggest plane is needed.

Tags 500.00

Raft rental 1050.

Pristine Ventures Fee 800.

Shipping stuff 500.00 a piece

River is a class 1 river. and has already been decided.

Reason for needing possibly needing a new hunting partner. Son was suppose to be coming along. But has used all his vaction time and is short on cash. I have 1 more person to ask here but he is around 70 years old and not sure if I should ask him. Very good shape for 70, I mean very good shap. If you were to look at Dan you would think he is in his mid 50's, great guy.

I am 46 and very easy going, Never been on a hunt in Alaska. But not a novice to hunting. Been hunting for 31 years, mainly whitetailed deer and elk.

Do you Alaska hunters think I should ask a 70 year old to do a moose hunt, no matter what kind of shape he is in? I would hate for him to over do it if we get a big moose down.

If anyone is interested please PM me. I am leaving for a week long turkey hunt in Kansas tomorrow morning. You can also call me on my cell phone.
    417-766-1706.

Please do not ask what river We will be floating. Larry has a non-disclouser clause. I have already paid 1300 of the fee's so far. $800 to Pristine Ventures and $500.00 on deposit for air charter into the bush. So if you say you are going to go. Your share so far is $650. When I get that I will let you know what river. I will send Maps to you then also. If you have any questions about Pristine Ventures just ask in the forum. I never heard any bad comments about Larry and Pristine Ventures.

Default just wondering..

what is the $800 fee for?

Default For

Quote Originally Posted by sh View Post
    what is the $800 fee for?
    Larry, Does all the work. He puts you on a good river, Sends you maps, sets up air taxi's for in and out.

You tell him what your skill level is for the river and he matches you with the river.

I thought I could do this all on my own, but found out trying to find a good river to hunt and one that I was capable of floating that isn't hunted hard. I could not find this information out. But with his knowledge of the area he is able to. He also tells you how to hunt the river. This river is also very remote. Once you get dropped off your there for the duration. Know where to pick you up till you hit the town. Larry said one of his groups in the last three years has seen 1 plane land on the lake that we put in from. He said that we would not see a sole on this river. He would be very suprised if we did any way. Hope this helps.

I will tell you this the river I am floating had a 63 1/2 moose killed three years ago, they also passed up another bull because they were tired and wanted to get out. Two years ago the guys he put on the river got rained out and they floated out in 4 days. Last year Larry said the guys he put on the river did not hunt it right, or like he told them too.

I changed my turkey hunting plans, well lets say canceled them. I need to get this taken care of before I do anything else. So if you have any questions feel free to call me or msg me, I should answer a msg within an hour if it is not in the middle of the night. If I do not I am at the Archery shop so give me a call then. My number again is 417-766-1706. Thanks

"Last year Larry said the guys he put on the river did not hunt it right, or like he told them too."

Theres some fine print in that sentance..lol
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

BRWNBR
    I guess you are right, I had not looked at it that way. Let me word it a little different.

They did not call much, They did not hunt much of a morning, just packed up there gear and floated down the river. Larry suggests, Making camp in the afternoon and doing some calling, then in the morning do some more calling and get off the river. He also marks the maps and tells you where to concentrate most of your time. And that is what I intend to do. Sorry for making the other sentence sound fishy. And thanks for the question BRWNBR, if it sounded that way to you then it probably sounded that way to others.

ya no worries, as a guide you read stuff someone is selling a little differently.

what i've seen the best results with for moose in the past, dont' move for three days, call early early until about 9am, call for a midge in the middle of the day, the noon rush we call it and then call for the hour before dark and then off and on until you can't see anymore.
    Moose antlers are developed to collect sound and be directional, a moose can hear you a LONGGGGGG ways off, he probably won't be there over night. i think alot of moose hunters miss their chance at their bull cause they give up to quick, it takes a moose some time to get to the call. You hear alot of stories of numerous guys floating the rive, one group leaves and the next one hammers a moose right where their camp was...moose finally got there.
    When i was guiding moose hunters this techinique worked three years in a row, it also gives other moose a chance at coming in, your more likely to see more moose the longer you call from one spot. floating and calling only gets you the moose within 500 yards of the river, spend a few days and you'll be getting bulls outa the hills over a half mile or more away. much much better odds. but don't tell larry, he'll charge you for that information! lol
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I would also tip the pilot a little more, to fly over the river, and sorta give you the lay of the land. It also helps sometimes, if your flying is done at the right time of day, to see where the concentrations of moose are. Bulls are usually very active during the time indicated for your hunt, so they are likely to be on the move. Three days is quite a long time for me to sit in one spot though. Never done it. It is likely though, that if one sits along any river for three days, they will probably have a moose pass by. Getting up early and listening is very important. In early morning hours, the sound travels better and you can hear them sparring and grunting. Cows mostly travel at night, bawling their heads off. Take advantage of any high ground, for vantage purposes. On a river hunt, I would not hesitate to take along an older hunter, as they are about as easy as it gets. River hunting can be very opportunistic, and it is difficult to make things happen. With few exceptions, there are little chances for you to spot and stalk, so listening and calling are your best options. Keep your rifle or bow at the ready at all times. Things happen very fast, and if you are not ready to shoot, RIGHT NOW, the brush along rivers will swallow up a whole herd of moose in an instant. This cannot be stated strongly enough. You sometimes have forever, to get your act together, but most of the time, especially river hunting, you only have seconds. Good Luck

Some very good info from Akres.I can't stress enough about the noon rush.I've was littery ran over by a 57"er just siting next to a creek calling and eating a snack for lunch a few years back.I would say 80% of the moose I have taken have been mid day.Good luck!

BRWBR and AKRES,

Great info.

This is a very exciting way to find a hunting partner. I really didn't think much about searching for a partner this way but it is very exciting. I really am enjoying talking with different people. I can see making some good friends doing this and finding potential hunting partners for other hunts. The bad thing about finding hunters around home is that most say they want to go but when it comes down to it they very rarely come thru. This is my second attempt to come to Alaska for a hunt. The first time it was suppose to be a caribou hunt and there was going to be 4 of us. Four months out two of the four dropped, they just changed there mind. Then my elk hunting partner decided he would rather just go elk hunting. So we went elk hunting. This time my son backed out because he had no vaction time left, and he attorney fee's to pay for custody of his daughter. I have ask a couple of guy's around here about it and no takers. It took my deer hunting partner six weeks to tell me he didn't think so. So I decided to post this thread and see what I could come up with. I canceled my Turkey for next week because this hunt is alot more important to me. I need to get something going on it as quick as possible. I know the both hunters have to be compatible, you can't have one lazy hunter and one doing all the camp chores, it just wont work. I don't care how easy going you are. And I am pretty easy going. Keep the replies coming and all the information. I can use as much as you can give me. Thanks again to all who have replied to the post.

Quote Originally Posted by barko View Post
    This is my second attempt to come to Alaska for a hunt. The first time it was suppose to be a caribou hunt and there was going to be 4 of us. Four months out two of the four dropped, they just changed there mind. Then my elk hunting partner decided he would rather just go elk hunting. So we went elk hunting. This time my son backed out because he had no vaction time left, and he attorney fee's to pay for custody of his daughter. I have ask a couple of guy's around here about it and no takers.
    That's frustrating; I've had partners back out, but I didn't have to suffer a major financial loss. If I were you, I would keep bumping this up to the top every two-three days until you get someone.

Tim

Thanks for the bump.

Default New business opportunity

Barko

When your hunt is completed maybe your should start HuntMatch.com

That might not be such a bad idea. Matching capatible hunters with each other. We will see how it works out. Thanks for the Idea.

Well I think I have found a hunting partner, I just have to talk to a couple of prospects. Thanks for all the information and replies. What a great place we live in.

Listen to what Larry has to say about hunting that area. He put a trip together for me and a friend last year and it was one of the funnest and most relaxing hunts i've ever been on. That was until I shot my moose, then the real fun started!! My best advice is to say take your time and do lost of calling and glassing, enjoy your time on the river and take LOTS of pictures!!! Good luck!!

Thanks AKHunter45, will do what I am told. I intend to hunt very slow and hunt the areas of the river that Larry tells me to slow down on. I am really looking forward to the hunt. This is a trip of a life time for me.

Barko

Over the years I have had a lot of people cancel out of hunts for a multitude of reasons, often leaving me holding the bag finacially or having to cancel the trip. The problem was there was no down side (penalty, consequences...) to cancelling.

Now, for every hunt that is going to cost a few dollars (not small hunts) I make everyone put up half the cost in advance, not refundable, unless they can find an acceptable substitute or unless I do not go. And guess what the number of cancellations went way down.

You could use the half from the person who cancelled to pay for half the trip of a new partner. There are a lot of people that would like to go for half price.

Problem solved.

Good advice by Bearbob. Taking a non refundable deposit is a must. I have been down that road before, either guys showing up late or calling the night before and canceling with a gradeschool excuse.

I drove to ak last summer and stayed for 2 months. I met friends that live there and had a gret trip. I must have asked 10,000 questions but I was still suprised how our hunts went. I will never regret going to ak and hunting with these friends, but I figured out the need for a compatible hunting partner. We really were not compatible at all and I am pretty sure it cost us an animal or 2.

Now I have been there and 4000 miles isnt to far to drive. I plan to do it again maybe as soon as this fall. Problem is the same as Barko's, I need a hunting partner that is compatible with me.

I think it is harder to find that hunting partner than it is to find a wife. Good luck and keep us informed on how you do. Another bump for ya.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast