Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Comments wanted on accurate semi-auto .308's: Value AR's, FNAR, others

Default Comments wanted on accurate semi-auto .308's: Value AR's, FNAR, others

My current rifles are not very accurate. I knew my 90's mini-14 wasn't good at a distance and I've not gotten around to reloading for or tweaking my 91/30 as it's not at the house. I want an accurate semi auto for 300yds and beyond.

.308 seems to be the caliber I come back to after looking at 7.62x54 PSL and VEPR models. I'm leery of accuracy at those ranges with the FAL, PTR, and Saiga rifles I've read about. M-14 models seem expensive and I see alot for sale second hand which leads me to believe maybe the owners weren't quite satisfied. Please chime in if you have a differing opinion on those.

We save our money and don't buy the toys We'd like even though we could so value is very important and I'm not looking for a rifle that is better modified or barbie doll accessorized. I need a rifle between 1000-1500 and then plan to spend 200-300 on optics. Magazine costs differ and I know my budget is on the low end but that's what I feel comfortable spending minus ammo and supply of reloads.

It seems I can get an FN AR for about 1000 bucks and the AR variants...well vary alot. It's tough making the decision with not having shot any of them so please add you recommendations and why.

The real AR-10 by Armalite is the original and IMO still the best AR style 308 and you can put 243, 260, 7mm/08, 338 Fed and 358 WIn uppers on the lower and make it into many different guns. The barrel quality makes the accuracy so if you want to shoot a long ways get the best barrel you can afford. Just MHO.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

At that price point you're outta the SR-25/Noveske/LMT game. You can either build one up from parts from Midway or buy a complete rig from Armalite/DPMS/Bushmaster. Different style mags mean anything to you or do you not care which style it takes?

Go Armalite, lots of options, mags are plentiful (unlike the FNAR), and its the real AR-10. Building is fun, but not any cheaper than buying unless you come across some really good deals. If you are patient, Armalites' sales are a great way to get parts for a little less.

I would say go Armalite as well. A quality product. Good to go out of the box and better than most.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Don't know if this fits the bill, but you can get them "relatively" cheap:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=268597755

On the other hand, like the other guys said, here's the real deal close to your price range:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=268128868
    Last edited by GD Yankee; 01-07-2012 at 13:59. Reason: another listing

I have an older BAR 10 from Bushmaster, that has done me well. I know that there was 'issues' with the bolts but mine has been flawless. I shoot 165 Sierra'a out of it and have taken caribou up to 470 yards.
    My son in law had an AR10T that he likes but he has a 'liitle' more money into it then I would be willing to spend.
    I also has friend that have several different Springfield models that shoot well.
    Try and find people that have the type of weapons that you are looking at and see shoot them.
    Have fun!

GD Yankee,
    That FN looks a whole lot like a BAR dressed up all tacticool like.
    Just went back and read the description and it is a BAR dressed up. Should be a awesome shooter.
    Last edited by sniper3083006; 01-07-2012 at 14:15. Reason: added comments

I appreciate the input fellas. Sportsman's was selling the Winchester version of the FN AR before Christmas 2010 for 795 but I wasn't in the market at the time. From what I read the BAR design was also beefed up internally. I like that it's lighter weight but have you guys seen the break down procedures for the thing? It's ugly.

One of the nicest semi auto rifles I've ever seen, was a 20 in barreled M1A that was somehow rebored to 358 winchester. I'm by no means a semi auto guy, but I'll tell yah this thing shot 3/4" groups at 100 yds. with a leupold
    1-4 power scope. It had a new wood stock too. The guy kept it loaded with 357 pistol bullets/handloads as a home defense weapon too. Some of the lighter ones he claimed wouldn't cycle the action. It's his only rifle, and I think it was his father's rifle, so that is why it's so special to him. I don't know who did his work, but if I were to go for a semi auto, I would have one built like his. When I handled it, it felt about 7.5-7.75 lbs with the scope.

This guy builds benchrest quality uppers for the AR platform: http://www.dtechsuperstore.com/ you may want to talk to him about building a benchrest quality upper that would slap right on to an AR-10 type lower.

You will probably spend all of the $1500 though, and still nee to get the lower.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

I would say accuracy-wise, the AR-10 family is your best bet. Also, commonality of parts, ability to buy accessories, etc gives it top marks. These days, with a good barrel and a free float forearm, you can make one very accurate. The FN patrol rifle/BAR clone is a great value, but there are zero aftermarket accessories. Buy an AR10 and you won't have any regrets.

If you want bullet proof dependability, find a Springfield Armory M1A (semi auto M14). They are so good and reliable, the military has brought them out of retirement and outfitted them with all kinds of fancy stocks and optics. They can be made very accurate and used to be the gun of choice for National Match Course shooting at 200/300 and 600 yards. In the past 5 years lots of accessories have come on the market.

I used to have one, but sold it because I like shooting my M1 Garands more. I'm close to getting an AR10 type gun though. I'd like to see if the military makes a decision on a larger caliber gun than the M4 (5.56) before I buy one. They came up with the 6.8 SPC, but it hasn't replaced the .308. I'm not holding my breath in the current budget climate however. I figure they'll stick with the 308.

As cool as a M1A/M14 is, I don't see how you can go wrong with the AR10 and it's cousins. The ability to upgrade parts is endless. I just replaced my single stage trigger on my AR15/M4 with a Geissele Super Semi Automatic two stage trigger and it is awesome! The M1A is great, but you don't have options like that.

For hunting use try to find Valmet Petra .308 or 30-06. Petra was imported USA about 15 years ago. Very reliable in cold weather and accuracy is much beter than Remingnton or FN BAR semiautos.

MidnightSunRebel,
    Breakdown on my BAR stalker is not that bad really. First time was kinda sketchy but every time after that is like ridin a bike. There are a bunch of breakdown/field stripping vid clips on the net too.

MSR asked a great question, and I've been pondering something along those lines for a while. How picky are the M1A and AR10 about ammo? Not in terms of accuracy so much, but reliable feeding/firing/ejecting. Commercial .308, milsurp 7.62, imports, domestic, brass, steel, etc. Thanks.

I've built probably a dozen Armalite AR-10's and own 2 and they will feed just about anything that has a spitzer bullet. If you get into round nose bullets they will start to act up and don't use semi-wadcutter pistol bullets and similar or cast...they usually don't work well at all. The AR-10 was/is designed to shoot FMJ but if you stay with a soft point with the same design they are at least 95%. Some powders will affect the reliability because they can change the gas pulse and screw up the feeding just like AR-15's but if you stay with medium burn rates like 4895/varget they seem to work fine.

I don't have a lot of experience with M1A's but they are pretty much flawless as long as you don't get into really tight chambers but others can give you better info on them.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

just bite your lip and order a Noveske, then .... don't look back

Quote Originally Posted by back country View Post
    just bite your lip and order a Noveske, then .... don't look back
    That will take a bite out of your wallet too!!

When I had a 308 AR built for me I thought about the cost to operate after the sale, along with accuracy, quality, and the other obvious considerations. I had my rifle built on the DPMS lower versus the Armalite lower. Why? The cost of quality magazines was less for the DPMS lower than Armalite at that time. The cost of Armalite mags has come down over the past few years. Currently I'm using the $19 Magpul 308 plastic mags. Yes, I have a few of the steel ones but those Magpul mags have been flawless and they are definitely the right price. I'm not sure how they can handle extreme cold (plastic) but in less harsh temps they are great.

MyTime

Copied from MidwayUSA.com

The 20LR PMag will fit KAC SR25, DPMS LR-308, LWRCI REPR, Larue Tactical OBR, Bushmaster 308 ORC, Lewis Machine & Tool MWS, Remington R-25, POF P-308, JP Enterprises LRP-07, G.A. Precision GAP-10, Les Baer 308 Semi-Auto Rifles and other rifles that use the SR25/ M110 pattern magazines. 20LR Pmag is not compatible with Armalite AR-10, RRA LAR-8, or M1a/M14 variant rifles.

MyTime

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast