Thread: Bycatch. What a waste!

Default Bycatch. What a waste!

The February meeting of the NPFMC needs your input.
    We all need to comment on these issues before the council. The December meeting listened to public comment. The February meeting may also. Check out the agenda @ http://www.fakr.noaa.gov/NPFMC/PDFdo...0212Agenda.pdf
    Submission of Written Comments. Written comments and materials to be included in Council meeting
    notebooks must be received at the Council office by 5:00 pm (Alaska Time) on TUESDAY January 24,
    2011.V
    Agenda item: Discussion paper on Gulf Of Alaska Chinook Bycatch in all trawl fisheries.
    Halibut PSC (8 hrs) BYCATCH
    Initial review of Fishery Management Plan, amendment to set Gulf Of Alaska Halibut Prohibited Species Catch.

More of the same for 2012. Halibut and chinook salmon bycatch is unacceptable.
    BYCATCH! Help stop the maddness. Keep your testimony current, keep it relevant and keep it actionable. The council knows the situation, they need to hear the problem and the solution!

The solution is that trawling should be banned as a fishing method.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Require them to retain all bycatch and count it against their fishing quota; pound for pound. Require them them to forfeit the bycatch and pay to have it processed it for human consumption. Then, reduce their future fishing quota by the amount of bycatch.

Default The beginning of the end?

Aquaculture, though in its infancy, is already supplying the world with about half its total consumption of seafood. As aquaculture grows and supplies even more, such wasteful by-catch will become even less acceptable, less excusable as a means of harvesting food.

Commercial fishing is decimating the world's oceans. Aquaculture, it would seem, is the answer.

The beginning of the end of commercial fishing?

Quote Originally Posted by LongShadow View Post
    Require them to retain all bycatch and count it against their fishing quota; pound for pound. Require them them to forfeit the bycatch and pay to have it processed it for human consumption. Then, reduce their future fishing quota by the amount of bycatch.
    I agree with the basic gist of this idea, Longshadow, in so as far as it goes to eliminate and account for the waste, once fish are dead and on board. Unfortunately, it does not solve the problem of catching non targeted species in the first place. Many bycatch species are long lived, slow to reproduce, and can not handle sustained bycatch pressure from trawl fishing technique which is indiscriminate and destructive by nature. No amount of good intention or skill on the part of the trawl operator, nor threat of financial penalty can ever turn a trawl operation into a species selective, non-destructive fishing technique. Trawling is a bad idea, no matter how you slice it.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
    The beginning of the end of commercial fishing?
    Personally, I don't think so. Nor do I hope so. But, a change is in order, to be sure.

#Resist

Marcus, have you done any reading/research on the results of Aquaculture,....??? You have got to be kidding, right?
    Or seriously uninformed

Bycatch is ridiculous, and a travesty, to be sure, easily avoided, by those who care,...

but to ignore the naturally provided resource of Ocean Raised Seafood, for something we can raise in pens locked into bays along the shoreline,..... (fed with pellets, and meat dyed to fool the customer, C'mon,....)

Dial it in NMFS, eliminate wasteful harvesting methods,
    so we can get on with sustainable, clean provision of the worlds finest meat source,

Not that difficult, if we could eliminate the political influence, along with the Big Money Players

Good Thread Flatfish, "Get your testimony out there folks, just Say Something, that you care, for example."
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Unhappy Confusion . .

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    Marcus, have you done any reading/research on the results of Aquaculture,....??? You have got to be kidding, right? Or seriously uninformed

Bycatch is ridiculous, and a travesty, to be sure, easily avoided, by those who care,...

but to ignore the naturally provided resource of Ocean Raised Seafood, for something we can raise in pens locked into bays along the shoreline,..... (fed with pellets, and meat dyed to fool the customer, C'mon,....)

Dial it in NMFS, eliminate wasteful harvesting methods,
    so we can get on with sustainable, clean provision of the worlds finest meat source,

Not that difficult, if we could eliminate the political influence, along with the Big Money Players . .

Sorry for any confusion, kodiakrain, but I am not talking about fish farming (raising fish in pens), I'm talking about aquaculture (fish/seafood raised in the wild). Nor do I mean to deprecate the efficient harvest of wild seafood. All I'm saying is that as aquaculture matures and becomes more and more productive, there will be less and less reason to justify the inefficient harvest of wild seafood (read "by-catch").

Hope that helps. Personally, I buy my salmon from commercial fishermen and intend to continue to do so. I don't and won't eat farmed salmon.

Got it,
    that was my error, trying to imagine wild harvest replaced by anything really,
    in my own passionate argument for cleaner commercial fishing

Yet, I can't see the Ocean Dynamic, that provides the exquisite dining experience that is Wild Salmon,
    replaced by anything we can do, even with our most exotic science

While the ability to clean up Fishing,(to great degree and affect) is
    just a relatively few, "Voices Heard, and Official Representative Signatures," away, from reality,"

The Waste Incurred in Mass Harvest Trawling, is something we could radically alter, Now
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Question Who knows . . .

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    . . Yet, I can't see the Ocean Dynamic, that provides the exquisite dining experience that is Wild Salmon, replaced by anything we can do, even with our most exotic science . .
    That may well turn out to be the case, kodiakrain. I suspect that some animals/species will more readily be adaptable to aquaculture than others. For instance, catfish, which could likely be fed a vegetarian diet of agricultural by-product or other such inexpensive feed.

That said, I've dipped (aquacultured) reds at China Poot in years gone by, and they tasted exactly like the "wild" reds we dip at the Kenai.

THis is something we should all be able to agree to.

Any chance the charter guides and halibut coalition can mobilize the masses (like they did for catch sharing) by submitting thousands of comments with form letters, etc?

The buy catch is just unacceptable.

There is no excuse for it but it keeps going on. Take a chunk out of their wallet for all the bycatch and it would drop like a rock. Right now there is no REAL motivation for them to be URGENTLY looking for ways to cut it.

Quote Originally Posted by AKJOB View Post
    THis is something we should all be able to agree to.

Any chance the charter guides and halibut coalition can mobilize the masses (like they did for catch sharing) by submitting thousands of comments with form letters, etc?

The buy catch is just unacceptable.
    I agree that By Catch is a wasteful practice that seriously affects other sectors. There is a real possiblity that the two groups work together on fighting to reduce by-catch.....After the CSP gets finished and a few other issues are settled between sectors. This will likely happen this year. As those sectors keep taking reductions and the trawl fleet's by catch number stay the same - the exact same type of defacto realllocation that charters were doing to the long liners will be occuring to both sectors in a time of very low abundance.....You can bet that we will be standing side by side with them making the case for serious reductions. We do have a few issues to settle between wectors before that happens though. Hopefully sooner than later.

IPHC states!"The existing GOA Prohibited Species Cap (PSC) limits have been in place for trawl fisheries since 1986 and for fixed gear fisheries since 1996. The Commission staff believes that
    these limits were based on inadequate data, that monitoring of both historical and current bycatch mortality is similarly inadequate, and that the PSC limit for trawl fisheries should be reduced as a precautionary measure until the improved observer procedures are implemented, at which time the estimated bycatch mortality levels can be re-evaluated in the context of halibut stock."
    Written comments must be in to NPFMC by 1/24/12 Public testimony is also possible for the Feb 1, meeting.

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Trawling is a bad idea, no matter how you slice it.
    Ten best words in the entire thread.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Bycatch in the Gulf of Alaska will destroy the ecological diversity of one of the richest marine environments on earth.

The June NPFMC meeting will be in Kodiak With GOA trawl bycatch on the agenda. Attendance at the June NPFMC meeting in Kodiak should be one of your top priorities. We all need to learn all that we can about why there are fewer king salmon, smaller halibut and crashing king crab #s and tanner crab #s. This is our chance to make a difference. Go to the meeting and testify, submitt written testimony or now you can email your testimony to: : npfmc.comments@noaa.gov