Thread: ? About fly gear for Reds

Default ? About fly gear for Reds

Hi, I am going to try a fly rod for Reds on the Russian and Kenai this Summer and wanted to ask if people use fly line or regular mono...and what the pros and cons of each line are.
    Thanks
    Robert

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I have 2 8 wt rods, one is set up with fly line and the other with 18 lb mono. I think the pro to fly line is that it is easier on the hands when flipping and the con is it takes more weight to get down to the fish. The mono gets down easier and I believe stays in the fish zone longer meaning more hook-ups. I don't really use the fly line much anymore and will probably switch it out and pass the old lamiglas down to my 10 yr old son this year. Also when you break off it is much easier to re-tie and get back to the fishing.

I was thinking about going with 20 lb, do you think that would be too heavy? Also, how much line do you put on?

Thanks
    Robert

I have done both and prefer fly line. I suggest to try both and see what you prefer.

If you go with a long leader there isn't much of the fly line in the water. I'm using a loop to loop connection this year so I can change leaders really fast , make up some before hand , couple different pound test to match what your fishing for .That way you can go from flipping to casting faster.
    chugbugs are for big bass -topwater!

So goes the evolution of fly fishing.

Hey poer drifter, what does sockeye fishing and fly fishing have to do with eachother?????

Reasons for using a fly rod on sockeye:
    * Longer rod to control a short line
    * Waters require some assemblence of fly fishing
    * Any more........I got nothing.

Sure to taste better when fly caught?

G

Yep , They taste better , fight better , and if its your own fly its all better !!!! Why winch them in with a ocean rig when you can enjoy them on a fly rod !!
    chugbugs are for big bass -topwater!

I used to use 80 lb braided line in place of fly line and leader for Kings and Silvers or most anything. It is a little easier on the hands than mono and casts pretty good. Does anyone use that?
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

What the saying...I choose not to fly fish because it's easy, but because it's hard??

Seriously, it is a lot more fun on a fly rod then some heavy stick, and trust me your shoulder and arm will appreciate it more when you use a fly rod. Since all your doing is flipping and the fish don't know what you are using, I would just head over to Freddies and pick up a cheap green lamiglas 8wt rod and match it with an okuma reel with some good drag, unless you want to go all neanderthal and use a stick and string.

As far as fly line vs mono, I personally use fly line as it is much easier on the hands. Others say mono is better because it drifts in the zone longer, but after a day of using it your hands might have a few line burns in them. As far as how heavy your mono is depends on where your fishing, if you are fishing the cow line at the Russian confluence then I would go heavy, if you've got some space between you and the next guy then you can go a little lighter and play the fish more. I guess it boils down to if you want to have fun while fishing, or if you are truly meat fishing. Personal preferences, lots of options. Hope this helps.

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Thanks for all the information.

Robert

As I stated in my first post mono is quite hard on the hands, as for the "fly" fishing thought yes I prefer to fly fish but as it stands onthe Russian you aren't using a standard "FLY" so it is not really fly fishing. I like the action I get out of the 8 wt and like someone said in another post it is much easier on the ARM and shoulder! Try them out and see what suits you.

I have often heard this question, and I often ask my self why would some one buy a fly rod and put mono on it? IMO fishing for reds on the russian isn't "really" fly fishing, so with that being said do what you want. Mono sinks better, faster, less drag on the line in the current, fish can't see it was well, or easily, and it is cheaper. It also gets knicked up faster and stretches.