Thread: RV Trip to Valdez End of August or September?

Default RV Trip to Valdez End of August or September?

We are planning to rent an RV from Anchorage and then go to Denali and then to Valdez for a 2 week trip.

A few of us want to hunt but everyone is a fisherman.

We really want to hit the Valdez silver salmon run and wonder which is better
    the last week of August 24- September 7th or Sept 1-14.

Also are there areas that we do not have to use a campground during the trip?

Any information on the river fishing as well as the salt water fishing is welcome.

Also how would the fishing be from Anchorage to Denali and Denali to Valdez.

Thanks in advance!

Timing the silvers at the beach is difficult to do. Given your 2 date ranges, I'd pick the earlier one. Silvers tend to hit in decent numbers over a fairly narrow window in the later half of August. Of course you'll be wading through thousands of Pinks to find any Silvers from the beach. If you're just looking to catch fish and not so concerned with keeping them, you can have plenty of fun with the Pinks.

I can't speak to the Anchorage to Denali side as I've never fished that region. There are few decent fishing opportunities coming down to Valdez, especially that late in the game. You could try one of the Copper River tributaries up in the Copper Center area. Depending on your route to Valdez (are you planning to drive the Denali Highway across to Paxon and then head down the Richardson?), you may find a stocked lake or two that could warrant a try for a trout or grayling. Once you're south of Copper Center (Glennallen area), there won't be anything worth fishing until you get to the saltwater in Valdez.

Allison Point has a campground where many RVers stay. There are several RV lots over in Valdez. Not too many places to camp for "free", though you'll see a few folks drive out beyond the airport and park in the gravel pit of the glacier stream area at the end of the road.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

The earlier date. The commercial fishermen clean up the silvers after Labor Day. Don't come now. We have 6 feet of snow on the ground and 22 feet for the year.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    Timing the silvers at the beach is difficult to do. Given your 2 date ranges, I'd pick the earlier one. Silvers tend to hit in decent numbers over a fairly narrow window in the later half of August. Of course you'll be wading through thousands of Pinks to find any Silvers from the beach. If you're just looking to catch fish and not so concerned with keeping them, you can have plenty of fun with the Pinks.

I can't speak to the Anchorage to Denali side as I've never fished that region. There are few decent fishing opportunities coming down to Valdez, especially that late in the game. You could try one of the Copper River tributaries up in the Copper Center area. Depending on your route to Valdez (are you planning to drive the Denali Highway across to Paxon and then head down the Richardson?), you may find a stocked lake or two that could warrant a try for a trout or grayling. Once you're south of Copper Center (Glennallen area), there won't be anything worth fishing until you get to the saltwater in Valdez.

Allison Point has a campground where many RVers stay. There are several RV lots over in Valdez. Not too many places to camp for "free", though you'll see a few folks drive out beyond the airport and park in the gravel pit of the glacier stream area at the end of the road.
    Thanks for the information. Yes we plan on driving the Denali Highway. I heard the Tangle lakes area is good for grayling so we will hit that area and maybe the copper river area if it is productive that time of year.

We really want to hit the silver run in Valdez so I may call up the visitors bureau in Valdez and see if they can help me out.

I think you are right in that the last week of August would be beter.

Quote Originally Posted by jlbuddha View Post
    Thanks for the information. Yes we plan on driving the Denali Highway. I heard the Tangle lakes area is good for grayling so we will hit that area and maybe the copper river area if it is productive that time of year.

We really want to hit the silver run in Valdez so I may call up the visitors bureau in Valdez and see if they can help me out.

I think you are right in that the last week of August would be beter.
    absolutly no need to call the visitor bureau... you have already been told all you need to know for fishing silvers in valdez... if your there the last week in august and not catching silvers, you have no buisness holding a rod

Quote Originally Posted by aktyler View Post
    absolutly no need to call the visitor bureau... you have already been told all you need to know for fishing silvers in valdez... if your there the last week in august and not catching silvers, you have no buisness holding a rod
    Thanks I think??? Are you always this nice to new people on the board?

LOL... don't sweat it man. It's 40 below with 6 feet of snow on the ground and we haven't seen the sun in 2 months. Folks get a little "grumpy" around here in the dead of winter.

If you haven't already, get a current copy of the Milepost. It will have every shred of info you need along the route of your trip.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Actually the visitors bureau is a good place to stop. My girlfriend works there and she knows whom is catching what where, usually. They have lots of brochures and information. Although it is not hard to find your way around town, they have maps and such to assist you. Follow the main street into town and look for the building with silvers on it on the right hand side.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

You have gotten good advice here. I would definitely pick the last week of August. After September 3rd this year the silvers will mostly be gone from the Valdez area. Also, there is some great fishing along the parks highway going north from Anchorage toward Denali. There will be salmon running in many of the streams as well as opportunites for grayling and some rainbows. Check out a book called The Highway Angler it documents access points and salmon run timing throughout the state. The drive to Valdez provides spectacular views and the fishing there can be excellent. Enjoy
    Greg

didnt mean to come off that way... just that all you need to know is allison point, end of august... they are usually very thick

You will enjoy the town of Valdez, several excellent restaurants, some fine museums, the RV parks in town have lots of amenities, great harbor with super fish cleaning stations, places to package, freeze and ship fish, etc. You might want to consider taking a charter at least one day if your group can afford it, or even a sight seeing cruise. Prince William Sound is a beautiful place, and so is Valdez being surrounded by mountains with glaciers. It can be a zoo out at Alison point, but a fun one with lots of people catching fish. It does rain much more in August than earlier in the summer; you could have a week of rain every day or a week of sunshine...and sometimes heavy fog. When that fog lifts and you see the mountains, it's a fine sight! So be prepared for rain and have a good time.

Thanks for all the replies.

We have decided on Aug. 20-Sept. 5 as our trip dates.

We plan on going to Denali and then take the Denali Hwy to Tangle Lakes and then head toward Valdez.

Maybe do a charter for a day or two and try Allison Point as well.

Probably drive back by the Richardson Hwy and then back to Anchorage.

Hopefully it doesn't rain too hard during that time.

Thanks for all the replies.

We have decided on Aug. 20-Sept. 5 as our trip dates.

We plan on going to Denali and then take the Denali Hwy to Tangle Lakes and then head toward Valdez.

Maybe do a charter for a day or two and try Allison Point as well.

Probably drive back by the Richardson Hwy and then back to Anchorage.

Hopefully it doesn't rain too hard during that time.
    That should be perfect timing, that is around the time I head that way myself each year and always catch fish. Good luck!

Be aware that your RV rental place may tell you to stay off the Denali Hwy. Some car rental agencies as well. If you break down, or have a wreck while on the Denal, you may be on your own. RV rental insurance may not cover while on the Denali either.

If you hit Valdez after labor day the fish will have been scooped up by the commercial netters for recovery of the hatchery.

On September 4th this year they will drop nets. You will not catch many, if any, silvers on Sept 5.

Our rental company will allow us to be on the Denali Hwy.

It is called Great Alaskan.

Quote Originally Posted by Akbpilot View Post
    Be aware that your RV rental place may tell you to stay off the Denali Hwy. Some car rental agencies as well. If you break down, or have a wreck while on the Denal, you may be on your own. RV rental insurance may not cover while on the Denali either.

Quote Originally Posted by FishAddictAK View Post
    That should be perfect timing, that is around the time I head that way myself each year and always catch fish. Good luck!
    Do you fish Valdez or Tangle Lakes or any places inbetween?

We will leave Valdez on Sept. 3 and head back to Anchorage.

Maybe I will just do some freshwater fishing From Sept. 1-3.

The whole Denali hwy has lots of places to fish, so don't just push on through to Tangle lakes. They are almost at the end of the Denali, but all the streams and lakes along the way have big fat grayling in them. Stop anywhere you can find a pulloff, and wet a fly in a creek or pond. I have fished Brushkana and Tangle lakes, but never made the drive all the way through. Bring small dry flies or #1 silver spinners. Summit lake and some of the other big lakes in the area also have burbot, lakers and rainbows in them. Have fun, and bring the camera. The drive through the pass to Valdez is one of the most scenic in Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcticmayhem View Post
    The whole Denali hwy has lots of places to fish, so don't just push on through to Tangle lakes. They are almost at the end of the Denali, but all the streams and lakes along the way have big fat grayling in them. Stop anywhere you can find a pulloff, and wet a fly in a creek or pond. I have fished Brushkana and Tangle lakes, but never made the drive all the way through. Bring small dry flies or #1 silver spinners. Summit lake and some of the other big lakes in the area also have burbot, lakers and rainbows in them. Have fun, and bring the camera. The drive through the pass to Valdez is one of the most scenic in Alaska.
    Thank you for that. We will take our time going through the Denali Hwy as I think that may be the highlight of the trip.