Thread: woods meals.

Default woods meals.

In response to my post in "what are you having for dinner tonight" I decided to post some pictures....

Ya start with, say a grouse.

then start a fire and cook it on a kabob. if you want to save some for later only cook small bits, cause they cook faster that way, and if your evading the law or what ever, small is good.

Ya could do the same with rabbit.....

and put it whole on a kabob

Or some moose steak in the stove

Mmmmm...

Or even a marten in your buddys home made stove

Or you can catch a nice trout

and throw it right on the fire

Also, although this isn't a "woods meal" I like some pulled porcupine fried in BBQ sauce on a bagel.....

thats how I roll. HeHe.

I make a seasoning of johnnies season salt, Old bay, some lemon pepper, regular pepper and a tiny bit of oragino and thyme I use it pretty universally, it is 60 percent johns season salt, 20 percent old bay, with 10 percent lemon pepper and a varying amounts of the rest.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Supporting Member

What a great post. I got hungry just looking at the pictures. :-)

Thanks...does anybody else cook this way?
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Great post. NIce pictures.
    I like kabobs because you can keep your dirty fingers off your cooked food and don't have to put your food on the ground.
    I prefer to let my fire burn down to coals so the meat isn't as smoky. I don't put fish right in the fire, I pinch it between some green branches. If you skewer a fish, it can fall in the fire too easy when it gets done.
    I usually set my snare, then go start a fire without using matches. By the time I have my fire going, I have caught some meat.

I like the smoky flavor! plus if the flames are high in the beginning, it sears the meat and keeps it from loosing a lot of moisture.

The one thing i don't have a picture of is cooking it in mud. the best way to cook fish and such things is to mix some mud and roll it out kinda like dough, and the roll it around the fish like tin foil, it keeps the juice in and when its done cooking it comes right off and takes the skin with it and leaves perfectly clean meat.

Never heard about the mud trick sounds neat,That rabbit on a stick sure looked good!My favorite is still a rack of ribs over some fire mmmm....

Some little bit chewy tastey goat ribs on a willow grill

well, I have honestly never cooked big chunks of meat like that as any time we shoot a big animal we are trying to get it home as soon and we get it down, never really go on hunting trips....

Wow thats good stuff, any tips on cleaning small game ? I've only cleaned fish so far hehe
    Alaska bound !

depends on if ya want to save the hide or not, I can get some pictures up here, I'll PM a moderator to see what is "legal"

jst now seeing this post.

goy u gotit goin on! i love the "natural" way! soo good for the spirit, soul, mind, body-all that!