Thread: Anchorage shop or KGB?

Default Anchorage shop or KGB?

Don't know if this is an appropriate way to ask this question but trying to find the best archery shop to suit my needs. I have a 2007 bowtech alliegnce with a rip cord drop away and Montana black gold 5 pin sight. My bow seems to do a lot I've untuneing it's self and I don't like sportsmans working on it anymore. I shoot good groups excepty at 50 yards I shoot high right. I need someone to look it over tune the hell out of it and then determine if my bows having trouble or I just needed to return my sight. Everything should be warrantied. I'm wondering who's going to be more efficient cheaper faster better or what have you. Thanks for any tips and hopefully I don't offend any shop owners.

Maybe it's you Are you saying that it hits center, then hits high right at 50 yards? Field points or broadheads? No shop is going to be able to "tune the hell out of it" in the winter in Alaska. You might be able to pay them to go to a longer distance range when the weather is good, but neither shop you mentioned has a long distance range to test at. They will check for fletching clearance, cam timing, and then they will paper tune it with you shooting it and once it shoots bullet holes they will send you on your way. There just isn't much tuning to be done at 20 yards in a shop. My favorite tuning for long distance is called "walk back" tuning. Do a google search and follow every step to the letter. Nobody I know that gets to the level of competency to hunt at 50 yards with a bow allows anyone else to tune their bow. That is one of the great fallacies about archery. Nobody can super tune a bow unless the archer using it is present and the bow is tuned to that person.

Trust me Doug I can shoot past 50 this is the first time I've had this particular problem I'm guessing my pins bent but I do hit where I aim and tight groups for my ability but when I'm at 50 yds it hits and groups high right about 6-8 inches. I've never learned how to tune my bow I get the concept of paper tune but don't have a way to do it at my house. I do have a range out to 70yds

AKDoug is right past 20 yards no one but you can tune. If you drew a line threw your pins 10-60 depending on how many pins you have would it be straight. If so its not the sight. What range or club are you shooting at?

Like AKDoug said I would start with a walk back tune. If you can get to a indoor range on a week day during everyone elses workday it should be a little less congested and you might be able to walk back up to 20. Another tuning is creep tuning you can find ALL sorts of video clip's explaining all sorts of tuning, rest installs/adjusting and just about everything on you tube. Search for Ike'soutdoors or grttaxi (maybe gtrtaxi) i If its shooting good at 30-40 50 should be good too. Might be a minor flaw or quirk in shooting for too. There is also Screaming Eagle over in Wasilla also. I hear they are pretty good too.
    Is you 2nd and 3rd axis good? Is arrow spine matched to the bow.
    If I couldn't get it right myself I would seriously contact Dave at Full Curl Archery a shout. It's a drive for you but they are great people doing great things for us Archers.
    Last edited by sniper3083006; 01-08-2012 at 01:24. Reason: Left out something

Bent pins would be immediately obvious. All the pins should line up along a verticle line. The walkback tune method will show a bow that has the rest that is slightly off center and that could possibly be your problem.

Swing by FullCurl. They are a both a BowTech and a Black Gold dealer.. Plus the indoor range for $10 gives you a whole day to work it out yourself if you choose to go that route...

Quote Originally Posted by fishingyoda View Post
    I have a 2007 bowtech alliegnce with a rip cord drop away and Montana black gold 5 pin sight. My bow seems to do a lot I've untuneing it's self and I don't like sportsmans working on it anymore. I shoot good groups except at 50 yards I shoot high right.
    Where are you shooting to 50 yards? as that location would be best suited for getting sighted in.

I have the same sight and love it as it doesn't have a rheostat and the pins are some of the easiest to see in low light...the pins adjust up down (brass wheel screws) and horizontally (using a small allen wrench) so you should be able to get it on at 50 yards. Are you thinking you're run out of play (in the adjustment) to adjust the pins?

Edit: Which of the Black Gold sights do you have ...Mine is similar to the Vengence - http://blackgoldsights.com/Bow_Sight_Vengeance.aspx

Wet enuf my sight looks similar the vengeance. It doesn't have micro adjustments. I shoot in my back yard I have a pretty nice setup. My sight will only adjust horizontally with the bracket not by individual pins

If you can shoot to 70yds in your yard than you have about 60yds more than you need to paper tune. I built a stand out of scrap wood to hang the paper, make it shoulder height and your good to go. I think some people get nervous about tuning their own equipment but it's a really easy, straight forward process. Since you think your bow needs to be tuned anyway practice tuning it. If you don't get it right then you haven't lost anything but time. I don't take mine to any shop to tune. Not so much because I don't trust them but because i get better satisfaction out of tuning my own gear and if it's screwed up then it's nobody's fault but mine.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

Thanks for the replies. I was hoping a shop would show me how to tune it. I learn better hands on not so much reading. My dad taught me how to shoot and hunt but there was never much for tuning with the older equipment we had.

when the weather gets a little drop me a note and I would be willing to meet up and show you a few tuning tricks
    dave