Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stainless Props??????

Default Stainless Props??????

So, I've made up my mind to go with stainless props for my 26' Alaskan with twin 115's. I've been researching several different brands and they all look alike to me. I know I need (or think) a 17 pitch. What do you guys run on similar boats? More importantly, what brands are good, bad or ugly? I'm looking at Solas, Ballistic, and Michigan Wheel props. Also, is there a benefit to 4 blades versus 3?

Rob
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

With our 26-foot Hewescraft, we ran aluminum 4-blade 17's and liked them quite a bit. We never did get around to putting stainless wheels on that particular boat, but I think a set of stainless 3-blade 17's would be about perfect for your setup.

With our new boat, we bought stainless props from PropMD.com. Their prices were A LOT less than anyone locally. PropMD will allow you to return props, but you need to pay the return shipping. Here is a link to the Apollo Stainless props for your F115's; they want $247 a piece and that price includes the hub kit. Shipping cost us $60 for a pair of props.
    http://www.propmd.com/pc-1673-542-ap...propeller.aspx

Thanks for the link and the info. I've been looking at this website, http://www.boats.net/propellers/Yama...ent/props.html and found great prices too. Glad to hear you had good results with 17 pitch. My current RPM's maxed out at 5900 and the boat does really well with the Ally 17's now, but I can tell they flex some. Also they are needing to be replaced anyway.
    MMSI# 338232859

Yamaha Reliance Stainless props are designed for Yamaha's fourstroke motor's powerbands. I have also seen some great preformance reports on PowerTech stainless props (also designed for fourstrokes).

A point to make is if you are beaching your boat a lot the risk of hitting a prop on a rock may not be worth the fuel savings because a stainless prop has a higher liklihood of damaging your boat's lower units. On my hewescraft OceanPro because I used it as my commuter between my remote cabin I went aluminum. But that is a side point to make.

4 blades are better for load hauling, 3 blades for speed. I have seen this personally on my 22' landingcraft and I go between both.

Sobie2

SOBIE2, that's exactly what I was wanting to hear. I read that 4 blades were for load hauling but wasn't sure what was lost to gain that ability. I'm not really planning on beaching the boat much or at all. I have a raft for that. I did check out the PowerTech props, but haven't heard much about them.
    Is there a big difference between 2 and 4 stroke props? Cup design maybe?
    MMSI# 338232859

Cool

Read a test article comparing aluminum and stainless, the gain was minute in a minute range. In other words, didn't make that much of a difference. Motorheads like em' of course, along with anything that is suppose to be a modification or performance enhancer. Being a motorhead myself, I use to paint my prop, shine it, smooth it, whatever, because it always seemed to get pits in the paint. The pits were cavitation bubbles coming from the prop itself, the prop had a quarter-size chunk missing for years, I had smoothed it out long ago. When I got a new prop, it didn't really make a difference in fuel or power, what did make a difference was removing unnecessary gear that was making the boat heavy.

I have the same boat as you, but with twin 135 Honda's. I run 17 pitch Honda Stainless props, and they are perfect. Not sure who makes the Honda props. I haul quite a load sometimes, and while I notice a little difference, performance is still great. I max rpm between 5500 and 5900 depending on load, wind, current, other sea conditions.

I had another boat and switched to a 4-blade prop on it. It was a mercruiser outdrive and I had trouble getting on plane with the 3 blade props, even the lower pitch. What I found was much better "hole shot"...getting on plane, with the 4-blade. But, I lost about 8-10 knots on top end speed and still maxed out at about the same rpm. Lots of other threads on this subject comfirm similar 4-blade vs 3-blade performance.

What is written about stainless props and rocks is very true, and I had that happen once, but hopefully never again. I do use my boat to get to a cabin where I beach when I load and unload a lot of gear, but a tender the rest of the time. I don't have any rocks in the way, but do have a gravel/cobble beach that I could hit if I got too shallow...that is just a matter of being careful and tilting the motors up to max going in and coming out, for just a bit...the beach is pretty steep and with that 26' boat and extended transom, I am often able to beach with the motors all the way down if I want.

There is some difference in performance between brands of propellers, IMO, depending on the shape of the blades, cup, etc. as well as between stainless and aluminum, at least on some boats. I am pretty happy with my Honda props and my Honda motors, but don't know who makes those props for Honda, but I suspect Honda still provides the specs for that. You might just go with the Yamaha props that Sobie2 suggested, and I would bet they would be just right for your Yamaha 115's.

Great Info. Thanks for everything guys. Now time to place the order and add them to my stack of spring time upgrades. I'll be looking for the Yamaha props first then on to the link that Dan In Alaska gave me. Ya just can't beat that deal. Sounds like I'll be keeping my aluminum props for bear/deer hunting trips where I know I'll be beaching more often.

And after reading older post on the same subject, it looks like I need to check my motor height too. I saw last night that they are hanging on the lowest position possible and it looks like the cav plate is below the bottom of the boat.
    MMSI# 338232859

Quote Originally Posted by robbentler View Post
    I can tell they flex some.
    I have read about aluminum props flexing, just wondering, how you can tell?
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Maybe they weren't flexing but cavitating instead. However, while cruising around slow, but on step and then powering up, it seemed to be sluggish a times then grab a little more. The motor RPMs were staying the same though. Also, from a dead stop it would rev pretty high and plow for awhile but churn a lot of water. That's where I was thinking the props were flexing and not keeping the pitch. Maybe I'm way off and just used to the jump up and go 200 SJ I used to have in my last boat.
    MMSI# 338232859

The reliance series of props from Yamaha that Sobie suggests are designed for the F150 and V-6 motors. You have twin 115's which have a smaller gearcase and run a smaller diameter prop. In a twin application with that boat you shouldn't need 4 blade props, you already have 6 blades in the water. What props are you running right now and what is your max rpm at wide open throttle? If you want those engines to live a long time, your WOT rpm should be as close to 6000 as possible, this ensures reduced torque on the motor at all operating rpms. There are a lot of factors that go into propping a boat, so make sure you have given as much info as possible to whoever you take your recommendation from. Four Stroke motors that run overpropped will fail sooner.
    Casey
    Yamaha Dealer
    Petersburg, AK

I'm running 5900 WOT with 17 pitch 3 blade aluminums now. From what I've read, 3 blade stainless won't make that much difference if I stay with the same pitch. That's what I'm planning on getting now. Especially after hearing from you guys. I'm not interested in being a speed boat or pulling skiers, just getting good all around performance and not wasting money doing so in the process.
    MMSI# 338232859

5900 is great. The stock Yamaha 17pitch aluminum props are a cleaver design without much cup, just be aware that a lot of stainless props will have more cup to them and different blade design. More cupping, more blade surface or more prop diameter will decrease your RPM, but a stainless prop that still lets you get 58-5900 RPM will probably give you better fuel economy.

Sounds like you are on the right track, happy shopping.
    Casey
    Yamaha Dealer
    Petersburg, AK

If you're just looking to upgrade to stainless by swapping your 17 pitch 3 blade aluminums for 17 pitch 3 blade stainless, my experience is you'll gain a few rpms but not alot. I certainly wouldn't step up in pitch and go 19 pitch because you'll lose about 400rpm. Like folks have said here, you want to be as close to 6000rpm for longevity of your motors. Of course that assumes your going to put 1500-3000 hours on your motors. Just my 2 cents.

I've got a 26ft Hewes Pacific Cruiser with twin 150hp Yamahas with 15 pitch 3 blade aluminums. I would like to upgrade the props to get better mileage so I'm definitely interested in how this works out for you. Keep us updated on how it goes.

PatrickL, Will do. Also my buddy has the same setup as you but in 24'. He's gonna give 17 pitch a try in April. I'll let ya know how that turns out too.
    MMSI# 338232859

That would be great. My rig is hitting the rev limiter when at full throttle so I know I have a little left. I'm getting about 2mpg pretty much no matter the tide or wind unless its really rough. Sure would be nice to get a little better. Good luck with your setup. Look for me on the water and we can do a little fishin or shrimpin together.

I've always spent as much time out there as possible. This year I hope to be off on weekends and spend even more time exporing PWS. No name on the boat yet, but pretty much set on KNOT TOO SHABBY! And I'll be flying the impossible to get AOD flag........
    MMSI# 338232859

Same here, except for the flag. I haven't named the boat yet, mostly because I'm not creative enough. The guy who owned it before me was going to name it white pearl but never did and I'm not a huge fan of it. Anyway, feel free to use or just flag me by name. Hope to see you out there.

Hmmmm.....after reading Patrick's posts, I might be trusting my memory a little too much...I know my props are correct for my boat and the conditions I run in, but they might be 15 pitch, not 17....boat is in Valdez right now and I am in Idaho...but I could have my friend that keeps it take a look. At any rate, I get closer to 2.5 mpg, but I cruise mostly around 4000 rpm or a little higher, maybe 24 to 26 mph, in average conditions. Sometimes it gets as high as 3 mph...now those numbers are what the gauge shows, but I know the distance between Valdez and my cabin and it seems to confirm this mileage. If I push up to 4500 or more rpm, which a lot of folks seem to run at, I then get about 2 mpg or even a little less if there is a chop.

I have the the AOD flag too, didn't see another flag all last year but would be glad to do that! We hail to the "Muckle". Naming a boat is a lot of fun, one of our boys came up with this, a muckle is a fish whacker used by the cod handliners in "Captains Courageous" book.

The one and only time I had my boat out so far, I ran it at 4300 RPM / 28 MPH and burned 12 GPH or close to it. The water wasn't the best, but not bad either. I'm happy with those numbers for now, but I would love more top speed just in case of an emergency or to beat some weather, but I just don't see that happening with twin 115's on my boat.

We are planning on spending part of July in Valdez this summer and hope to meet as many forum members while we are there and explore that area too. Muckle! That's a good one......
    MMSI# 338232859

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast