Thread: Maclaren River

Default Maclaren River

I want to focus my questions about floating the Mclaren river in a 16 foot NRS CAT. I really want to float this area. Fell in love with the Tangle lake area this summer and going back next summer and want to incude a Maclaren in the mix in preparation for a possible hunt in the fall. I hear there is a rock garden half way.

Question are:

What is the general Class of the river? Would be helpful to compare it to the Kenai flow and portions with rapids as not all class I II and III are created equal.

Rock Garden: How is this area.

Overall I am a beginner rafter. Not poor but beginner. Will brush up several times on the kenai before going.

Thoughts?

Thanks

The very best source I know about the Maclaren River is Al at Maclaren River Lodge. He runs the river all the time, and lives right there. Here is the website: http://www.maclarenlodge.com/

Good luck!
    Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Are you looking to fly in and float back to the highway or float from the highway and get picked up by plane? Two very different sections of river from what I've learned.

I was originally looking to put in at the bridge and go down from there...but I am open to anything. Primarily wanting to do a float that is not extremely hard. I am still new at this and learning -- need to branch out from the kenia though but the class iii water on the kenia (if that is class iii below the lake and the bridge) is not very long and your in and out pretty quick so really not sure what my skills would be in long stretches. Wanted to do the Gulkana but think that might be above my level for now -- not sure.

How do the two sections differ?
    Can you compare the rapids to something that I know --kenia... more intense less about the same but longer etc. I know the river is not as wide and that makes it more difficult just being that different alone.

Thanks for the help---