Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1200 yard shot Moose 7mm RUM

Default 1200 yard shot Moose 7mm RUM

Ok I dont want to hear any losers telling me how unethical this is. Most people can't shoot past 200 yards on a rest.

I'm looking for a bullet with a good BC to beat my last record of 936yards. I hit that moose with a 160 sierra, it ran 200 hundred yards and fell over from my 7 RUM! Im so confident with this rifle!

anyone have experience with 180-190s in the 7 rum or 7 mag?
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 01-04-2012 at 21:25.

Don't know about bullets maybe try the berger vld's bullets. But I love your screen name LOL. Most guys won;t get it but it is hilarious! But again Berger VLD I do beleive sportsman sells HSM ammo with the VLD already loaded they also sell the bullets themselves so you can load your own.

Yea I saw those Berger VLDs, I'll check them out. I figure my bullet will be crawling at about 7mm-08 velocity at 100 yards by the time it gets their. My rifle was shooting .22 groups at 300 yards. I wonder how the Berer bullets open up compared to the sierra

there is a show on tv called "best of the west" they do alot of long range shooting with the berger bullets. i saw them shoot a moose over 1000 yds the other day

The bergers are designed for long range hunting and the 7 mag bullets have some really high bc's . They can be picky on the seating depth though

I'm assuming you're hunting in an any bull area?
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Default Sure

Well I see the Nay sayers and Debbie Downers are in full swing here, like I said most people can't shoot past 200 yards so naturally they are envious and want to talk trash. I'm not trying to toot my own horn here, I could have bragged that I shot my sheep last year at 1239 with my 300 RUM, but I'm not, I am new to the 7mms and looking for real advice from longrange shooters.
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 01-04-2012 at 21:26.

Troll1.jpg

How far away can you hit one of these?

Quote Originally Posted by tundrawooky View Post
    I'm not trying to toot my own horn here, I could have bragged that I shot my sheep last year at 1239 with my 300 RUM, but I'm not...
    Lol! You just did!

MAybe 1500

Well I see the Nay sayers and Debbie Downers are in full swing here, like I said most of those losers can't shoot past 200 yards so naturally they are envious and want to talk trash. I'm not trying to toot my own horn here, I could have bragged that I shot my sheep last year at 1239 with my 300 RUM, but I'm not, I am new to the 7mms and looking for real advice from longrange shooters.
    Easy TW.... Don't you know your not allowed to get defensive on here unless your join date is much earlier and you have a few thousand posts? I believe it's in the forum rules! Sorry... Couldn't resist

why in gods name do you want to shoot that far anyways? what happened to stalking and getting close to the game? all you people who want to shoot 1000 yards go ahead. I don't care if you can shoot that far, you shouldn't! it's not ethical and it makes no sense. just wait until you wound something and then you will think twice about it. if you want to shoot that far, do it in a competition and not at game.

Not to sound snide but it would seem to me if anyone was actually that competent with a rifle at that range they would not be asking what bullets to be using. No, I don't shoot very far at animals- I take into consideration the wind, my error, and the fact that animals move unlike paper and steel targets. If you are indeed that good with a rifle I applaud you but I also wonder how many animals you have either missed or injured while trying to establish a record.

Well I see the Nay sayers and Debbie Downers are in full swing here, like I said most of those losers can't shoot past 200 yards so naturally they are envious and want to talk trash. I'm not trying to toot my own horn here, I could have bragged that I shot my sheep last year at 1239 with my 300 RUM, but I'm not, I am new to the 7mms and looking for real advice from longrange shooters.
    Funny, only 4 people had responded and only one with anything somewhat negative toward your post and you claim "the Nay sayers and Debbie Downers are in full swing here,...." You havn't seen anything yet if you think what you had by that point was a negative response.

Personally, I wouldn't take the shot anywhere near that distance (350 is about my limit), but part of that is that I want to start the cleaning process before you would even be able to get to an animal shot at 1200 yards. To each their own. If you have the ability, then do whatever you want. Just not a risk I would every consider myself.

OK guys calling people idiots, losers, stupid and such is not going to get anyone anywhere here. We have been down that road with posts before and it isn't going to start again here. Please try to keep the post on track.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

sorry, it's just my opinion. if he doesn't like it then sorry.

It's unethical... There's lots of things in life we don't want to hear
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

thank you Milo, glad someone agrees with me

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Anytime someone preface's a new thread with, "Ok I dont want to hear any losers telling me how unethical this is. Most people can't shoot past 200 yards on a rest." there is obviously intent to immediately put others on the defensive. If I believe you shooting a moose at 1200+ yards is unethical because of the exponentially increased risk of improper bullet placement resulting in a lost animal, that doesn't make me a loser so much as an individual with a difference of opinion.

Anyway, go get 'em with your amazing shooting. Anyone who shoots a sheep at more than 1200 yards probably knows enough to not need input from a web based hunting forum. I was pretty pumped this fall at shooting a blacktail doe at 250 yards in the neck...
    Experience is the name every one gives to their mistakes. ~Wilde

In before lock!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast