Thread: looking at buying my first ATV, and would like your options

Default looking at buying my first ATV, and would like your options

Hi Guys, I'm looking at a Honda Rancher, 2012. The opt. I thinking about are electric shift and power steering. Also are there any opt. I should be looking at. I'll use it in Seldovia mostly on the roads. The dealer gave me a price of $4800.00 plus &100 for the shift and 300 for the steering. I have a plow on my Dodge so I'm OK there, maybe a winch though. Thanks in advance, Tom

While I am not a Honda fan, some other 'goodies' I would be looking at are; upgrading the tires, a good winch and depending on your weather/riding times hand-thumb warmers.
    If I can not get upgrades tires in the deal, that is the first thing that I change. While stock tires maybe be OK, my personnel thoughts are they 'suck'!
    Have fun on your new 'tool' and enjoy your riding time.

If your running the roads in Seldovia you should be fine with that machine. I wouldn't pick it up from the dealer without a winch. Tires are the next important upgrade as already stated. Those Hondas run forever when maintained, and sometimes when there not maintained. Have fun!

I've had a couple of Ranchers and used a couple more off and on...good machines.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

The 4 trax rancher gets my vote too. Have not used the electric shift option, but would shy away from it myself, just on principle. Am not a fan of added complications, especially electrical complications. I think the simplicity and lack of extraneous gizmos and gimmicks is what has given the Honda it's reputation of reliability for the past 20 years. I am a huge fan of the original tried and true 5 speed transmission. In my book, Honda's rate right up there with the Toyota re22 engine. Hard to go wrong with them.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Pretty hard to beat them off the road system. On it I would go Polaris 6x6.

One other thing- I rather liked the electric shift option, it does have a feature where you can shift the tranny w/o electronics if it craps out on you.

Personally, the power steering is a waste of time for what you're talking about. Those machines are light and on a road system like Seldovia has, you'd get almost no benefit out of it, but he is quoting you a great price on the whole machine.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Thanks guys, never would have given the tires a second thought. I did call the dealers around So. Centeral and they all quoted me around $6100.00+/- a few dollars. Guess Al Gore's work isn't done yet, he could bring his discovery of the internet to these guys. Shipping just isn't that expensive any more. Tom

I can say for me having IRS, independent rear suspension and fuel injection were both reasons I upgrade my last ATV. The ride of a machine with IRS is so much easier on my back than one without. Also with the wide range of temp changes we get my ATV with a carburetor would not run right about half the time.

+1 on good tires, they really increase a machines capabilities, when I upgraded mine, it was like a different machine.

Have fun and be safe

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I have a 2005 Rancher and it has been a great machine. At some point you will get off those roads in Seldovia and will be glad you got the winch and the upgraded tires. Sometimes I think the only thing that can stop my Rancher is the ability of the rider. Be sure and buy the radial tires not the non radials. The radials make for a much nicer ride.

I picked it up today! It didn't have the independant suspension, but I really like it. I did get the electric shift though. I'll get the tires and winch later this spring. I have to ease the wife into this new hobby. Thank again for the help guys, Tom

Quote Originally Posted by algonquin View Post
    I picked it up today! It didn't have the independant suspension, but I really like it.
    No Photo?!?

Congrats- hope it does you well.

Tires are a good upgrade, but I don't think Seldova has a lot of mud bogs you deal with there do you? If not, you may just be pissing good money away when the stock factory tires will run you for years. I have a Yamaha Kodiak and I run it all over the interior and use it to plow snow for the last seven years and it has been just fine. But I don't know how you're going to use it either.

My daughter bought a new 650 Polaris and had after market tires put on it, they do much better in mud, but are rough riding on the hard pack trail. If your going to be just using it in town for errands, they will wear a lot faster then the factory tires and need to be replaced a lot soon too.

But the Honda is a good four wheeler just the same and you will enjoy it a lot! But the winch is a big plus!

Default Shipping Isn't that expensive any More?

Thanks guys, never would have given the tires a second thought. I did call the dealers around So. Centeral and they all quoted me around $6100.00+/- a few dollars. Guess Al Gore's work isn't done yet, he could bring his discovery of the internet to these guys. Shipping just isn't that expensive any more. Tom
    With fuel costs at a all time high and fuel surcharges at 30% + are you serious?

a 400# machine that cubes out at over 800# costs a pretty penny to ship, not doubt. That coupled with the supply and demand factor of Honda's in Alaska leave us with little room to dicker on price..

That being said... you got a good machine that will more than justify the cost.

Enjoy

Tom

I picked it up today! It didn't have the independant suspension, but I really like it. I did get the electric shift though. I'll get the tires and winch later this spring. I have to ease the wife into this new hobby. Thank again for the help guys, Tom
    No independant rear suspension? What machine did you get?
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

The machine is a Rancher FE. The one with IRS is quite a bit more money, and I'll just be running around on the dirt roads in Seldovia. The shipping for me this year is a freebe as I'm shipping a boat we bought and will be strapping it on the back deck. Last spring I bought a whole house of vinyl sidding for my house in Seldovia and had it shipped from IN. 4'x4'x13' & 2200 lbs for $1500.00. I did it all on the internet so there is a trust thing to deal with but in the end I saved over $5000.00. So if you are willing to shop the shippers it a savings, and i saved $1100-1300 that I got quoted in Alaska on this ATV. I always try to buy in alaska if its close, thats why I called the dealers local first and got prices. If it was within 2-300 I would have bought local.

Thanks for clarifying for me. I was under the impression that all ranchers came with IRS.

Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

ranchers can take a heck of a beating, but the first thing you should do is get eh tires balanced, we didn't and the tires were almost bald form running roughly 3000 miles on pavement with our 05 rancher(the other 6000 miles were on dirt) granted, i ran bald tires till they started bulging cause I didn't have any money till spring, balancing it significant'y helped, but I also quit running on pavement. anyway, I have almost 9000 miles on it (most of um going around 35 or 40 MPH going to work and back) only changed the oil 2 times and it it still runnin, it clicks and clangs and the electric start don't work but it still goes.

one tip.

most car oil has a detergent in it, if you look a the back there will be a ring with a start in it, and it will say something about it being cleaner or something, that stuff hammers the clutch, after 6 onto of runnig it the 4 wheeler wouldn't hardly go anywhere, we switched to non detergent oil and it has worked fine ever since
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.