Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tent reccomdations..................................... ....

Default Tent reccomdations..................................... ....

Hey Gang,

I was wanting some recomendations on tents. I am looking for a multi season tent that that my family and i can use up here in AK and everywhere we travel in the spring and summer camping and then into hunting season. I want something that is water-proof and can stand up to the nasty weather that AK has to offer and that I can stand up in (im 6'1") of at least almost stand up in. I know there are some super expensive tents out their and I dont want to spend a fortune, but i do want a quality tent that can be used a lot and last.

We have had only cheap tents and keep getting wet while camping. Ease of setup is a factor as well because it seems that we set up in the dark a lot. weight isnt a huge factor but if its lighter and more compact it would fit in the boat better.

Any suggestions would be appreciated and any other advise on what to get would be great. If you have a tent you recommend id love to see a pic if you have one.

thanks
    Fin

Get a Arctic Oven, which ever size you need to suit your family. Trust me your family will thank you. They hold their value better than about any other tent and they are just plain worth the money. Add a NuWay propane stove to it and they are like sleeping at home.
    Alaska Tent and Tarp sells both, they give a 10 percent discount if you buy two or more. Many folks go together to get the discount.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

ovens are bad ass tents no doubt, but spendy and better suited for specialty purposes (like winter!) barneys kodiak condo or the larger bombshelter is my reccomendations...cant stand up in the bombshelter but i can in the condo. both stand up to wind...both are very cold in the winter though! i'd go with the arctic oven for sure though if i had winter (or a cold wife...arent they all inclined that way? ) in mind. whatever your choice is i'd reccomend proper maintanence first and foremost...and keep it out of the sun as much as possible. for the average alaskan hunter, if well kept, all three should last you a lifetime...or until you meet up with that "one storm"...in which case they dont make a tent that i'm aware of that wont fail.

the "one storm"...i like it.
    i use the cabela's XWT tents, less than half the price of the above montioned tents, a bit taller but i haven't lost one in a wind storm yet and use them on kodiak exclusivly, so they've seen some stuff. i run a mr buddy propane heater in them in late fall when it single digits and they are comfortable, roomy, but what they have the above tents don't is a VESTIBULE!!! Oh my, huge vestibules, i cook, skin and sort gear and everything right there in the tent so so so so nice. i'll never (unless i start winter camping....) buy an arctic oven for that reason, they don't have a vestibule, least none of the ones i've seen.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Jake the new AO extremes do have built in vestibules. I just don't have mine pulled out because it is on a pad that is too small.

http://www.alaskatent.com/oven/ao10extvest.html
    Founding Member

awesome! the ultimate alaskan all weather all season tent has arrived!! wonder if they take payments....dang thats pricey.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I bought a 10'X10' Kodiak from Cabelas and you can stand in it anywhere. This is not a light tent to pack far but it goes up in minuets

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/produ...AL%3BIK-518889
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

jake...havent used one...right on! i know i've used the cabelas outfitters and its hard to keep them up in a heavy cough, much less real wind. i love spaceous vestibules...but i bet a few of our camps could figure out how to blow em up....theyres brush in kodiak! alders are my friend. camps without alders can lead to blown up tents. (bare tundra ridgetops is where i find myself stuck at times) but.......hencefourth and lose a tent or two my friend:cause theres bears in them there hills! but then again...when i start up and gotta buy those tents, i bet i give your xwt's a try...i bet i do.

I also vouch for the XWT. Very good tent and a lot less $$ than the others mentioned.

I own the 6 person cabelas Alaskan Guide tent. Huge vestible, bomb shelter of a tent. I am 5'10" and can stand up in it. Very secure tent. I usually steer clear of items listed as ALASKAN, if it is not made here! However, comma, this tent rocks and is Alaska worthy.
    I would not get the fiberglass poles though. I spent a lot of time researching this and based off of what I read on here and other sites I chose this tent and it has worked out perfect.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabel...h-All+Products

Huge vestible, bomb shelter of a tent. I am 5'10" and can stand up in it. Very secure tent.
    I would not get the fiberglass poles though

US Military ten man Arctic squad tent.

Great little wood stove can take a multi fuel insert too, easy set up with one pole and pegs.
    awsome year round teant in the Arctcic for sure, withstands blizzersa nd rain, repairable with canvas, thread and some rainseal, the white insides are bright and they weigh 70 lbs. I throow mine in my sled and in my boat if I have the kids along, or just Trap and pole it if its just the wife and I.

Ive had mine in countenious use camping or as a shop behind my house for 13 years now, still a great tent!
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Since it hasn't been mentioned - look at the Kifaru tipi's.
    8 man will sleep 4 (with gear) handily; with a stove, the heat will make you open the doors (even in cold weather camping).
    For family, I'd probably go to a larger tipi - 12 man or larger.
    I've used it more than a few times on Kodiak and never had a problem with the wind.
    It also weighs about 1/4 (maybe less) than the others mentioned above.

I love my Kifaru Sawtooth, but my wife just can't camp without a floor. I love the floorless design, but the wife not so much. They are a palace and so nice with heat.

Founding Member

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    I love my Kifaru Sawtooth, but my wife just can't camp without a floor. I love the floorless design, but the wife not so much. They are a palace and so nice with heat.

How does the sawtooth compare to a 4 man tipi?

Quote Originally Posted by DucksAndDogs View Post
    How does the sawtooth compare to a 4 man tipi?

Don't really know, have not been in a 4 man. I can say that I have 10 or more tents and the sawtooth is my favorite. That thing sets up and comes down so fast. Just stake it and raise the center pole. Cuts the wind like a knife and has plenty of room for two and gear, could sleep 3 without the stove.

Steve
    Founding Member

Don't really know, have not been in a 4 man. I can say that I have 10 or more tents and the sawtooth is my favorite. That thing sets up and comes down so fast. Just stake it and raise the center pole. Cuts the wind like a knife and has plenty of room for two and gear, could sleep 3 without the stove.

Steve

Ok, I was just curious since the weight and price difference aren't TOO much. How much does the stove weigh? I can't find any information on it at all...

Quote Originally Posted by DucksAndDogs View Post
    Ok, I was just curious since the weight and price difference aren't TOO much. How much does the stove weigh? I can't find any information on it at all...
    My entire Sawtooth, liner, stakes, poles, and stove is 12lbs, the stove alone is 4lbs 8ozs. Worth every oz!!!

Steve
    Founding Member

My entire Sawtooth, liner, stakes, poles, and stove is 12lbs, the stove alone is 4lbs 8ozs. Worth every oz!!!

Steve

Ok, that's not too bad. Do you have a link or anything for the stove? If not, what is its fuel source and dimension.

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    US Military ten man Arctic squad tent.

Great little wood stove can take a multi fuel insert too, easy set up with one pole and pegs.
    awsome year round teant in the Arctcic for sure, withstands blizzersa nd rain, repairable with canvas, thread and some rainseal, the white insides are bright and they weigh 70 lbs. I throow mine in my sled and in my boat if I have the kids along, or just Trap and pole it if its just the wife and I.

Ive had mine in countenious use camping or as a shop behind my house for 13 years now, still a great tent!

our dispatcher just got one of those from a guy that had it stored in his hangar for years...everything still new, and it all fits in its own heavy duty fiberglass sled to pull behind a snowgo. the little yukon stove it comes with will run on most any fuel as well as wood, and has a little stand for the jerry can. comes with a heavy duty lantern that looks quite a bit tougher than a coleman, and it even comes with a machete, and a hammer to drive stakes with. havent used the tent, but i was impressed with the overall package and how compact and transportable they managed to make the whole schmere...canvas looks decent quality.

Quote Originally Posted by ninefoot View Post
    our dispatcher just got one of those from a guy that had it stored in his hangar for years...everything still new, and it all fits in its own heavy duty fiberglass sled to pull behind a snowgo. the little yukon stove it comes with will run on most any fuel as well as wood, and has a little stand for the jerry can. comes with a heavy duty lantern that looks quite a bit tougher than a coleman, and it even comes with a machete, and a hammer to drive stakes with. havent used the tent, but i was impressed with the overall package and how compact and transportable they managed to make the whole schmere...canvas looks decent quality.

I HATE arctic ten mans. Do not look into the pot belly to check anything, many an eye brow have been lost that way...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast