Thread: Has anyone been to caribou hills lately? Whats the snow report?

Default Has anyone been to caribou hills lately? Whats the snow report?

Whats the snow report for Caribou Hills? I looked at the snotel and it said there is only 11" of snow at 1150ft elevation. Does anyone know if this is accurate?

I just came into town after spending the last month at my place in the southern caribou hills. The farther south you go (towards Caribou Lake, and the Bay) the more snow there is. I talked to some folks who rode down to the CCL lodge from Ninilchik, and they said it just got better and better the further south you go. At my place, about a mile from Caribou Lake, there's about 4-6 feet with excellent base. The snow's not coming up over the windshield, but in the trees, it's coming up over the cowling.

Do you keep an eye on this page...

http://www.akchch.org/?page_id=5
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

I came across that website earlier. It doesn't tell you what kind of base there is. Thanks for the help! I don't normally ride down there so I was checking out weather reports online. The state has the snotel weather station somewhere in the hills. The site indicated there was only 11" total snow. I suppose that is supposed to mean new snow not total. But I guess if the snotel is in an area prone to wind then maybe the snow around it blew away.

I'm glad you all proved me wrong!

The data on the Cabin Hoppers site is posted when Rick looks out the window of his cabin and sees the measurement stick in the snow. It would be the amount of compacted snow on the ground near the end of Oil Well road. By the date stamp, it doesn't get updated very often; perhaps weekly. And it's not going to tell you how much snow is in various areas further back in the hills or down toward Homer.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by overtime View Post
    Whats the snow report for Caribou Hills? I looked at the snotel and it said there is only 11" of snow at 1150ft elevation. Does anyone know if this is accurate?
    I'm kinda curious which snotel site you are watching? The McNeil site shows 1320' el. and 26-29" accum, and the Anchor River divide is at 1653' and showing 36" accum.

Of course, neither of these are particularly accurate, since conditions range wildly from one ridge/swamp to another, but I'm just not finding any snotel data on the KP showing 11". Perhaps I'm looking at the wrong area.

I know what you mean. I tried to get an idea just where the Anchor Point divide was. When I google mapped the coordinatesd it put it near the 90 degree bend and at the 1600 foot level. There is no way that the site is there, the elevation level is too low. I'm thinking that it may be on top of Ninilchik Dome. Who knows. I'll be down there all of this coming week and will post a true report for ya.

It is definitelystarting to turn out to be a good winter in the hills. I went in yesterday from Clam Gulch to Freddies Lodge for a burger and it was snowing the entire way. We never left the trail but there was plenty of snow on the trails and about 8" fresh snow on the return home. I have heard reports of 4-6' up in the High Country.

Default deep and fresh

All I have to say is get here as soon as you can.

its the snotel linked from the caribou hills cabin hopper website

We went on monday the 9th from clam gulch and there was very little snow. Great trail riding but off trail, not much there yet. We made it past the burn, to the start of high country ( I'm guessing) and yes there was about 4 feet in the leeward side of the hills. There were way too many stumps and brush showing everywhere. But I'm glad I got to put a few miles on the sled!