Thread: Is the 35 remington ok.

Default Is the 35 remington ok.

I will be moving to alaska in a few weeks and was wondering if the 35. remington would be a ok round for bear protection. The 35 is the largest caliber I own its a 1963 marlin 336 marauder with the short barrel.
    Thanks for the comments in advace.

It should do just fine and if you handload for it perfect
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

While not exactly what you're asking this LINK is to a very large bull that was taken with the 35 Rem in a 336. He uses a load by Buffalo Bore using the Speer 220 grain FN and has been very satisfied.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Quote Originally Posted by hoovertx4 View Post
    The 35 is the largest caliber I own its a 1963 marlin 336 marauder with the short barrel
    Nice rifle! Nothing wrong with that!
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

If one of your "smaller" calibers is a 30-06 (or a 338 or 340 Wby) , you might want to use that. Loaded with the heaviest bullets you can find.

Really nothing wrong with the 35 Rem for defensive purposes.

I have one of those and it's ideal for short range quik action if you need it. There is alot of punch and a good bit of energy on inpack with that round as well.
    You work for a hunting gun for most of the big game we have as well.
    Good luck

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

The .35 is one of those rounds that shouldn't do what it does. It can be loaded hotter than the factor loads as there are a lot of rifles out there not as strong as your. It can be loaded almost to .358 WIn. velocities. I love the .35's. A hole that big allows a lot of blood to flow out. Guys in Maine and upstate NY that hunt bears would not question your use at all. Except for purposefully going afer browns, it will do.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

i haven't killed any bears with my .35, but have taken 3 elk with 3 shots....shooting leverevolution ammunition. now that it is available, the leverevolution powder & bullets will match factory specs. it is a big deal. if you reload ( or not ) this ammunition is the best.
    happy trails.
    jh

Hunted with my grandfathers' 336 .35rem this past fall on Afognak Island. I felt comfortable with it and took a couple of deer to boot. Shooting 200gr Hornady.

Grew up hunting with 35 rem. Out of the all the deer and black bear I have seen taken 200 grain 35 under 100 yards did more damage as an 06 165 grain. Would compare it more to the 180. This is looking at the bullet performance after the shoot not ballistics. Know your weapon and abilities, should be no issue.

The .35 Rem is one of my favorite rounds. I would shoot a heavy cast bullet and i would not worry about it. The .35 Rem is one of those rounds that will take deer, moose, bear, and you name it. Its not make for long open country shots but in the woods its hard to beat with anything!