Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you report a 49"er in a 50" area

Default Would you report a 49"er in a 50" area

I thought it might be interesting to see where this might go. Everyone said they would report a poacher in the other thread. Does it still apply to this.

You are hunting and come across a guy that just shot a 49" bull in a 50" area. It was a honest mistake and he misjudged the animal and he shares with you that he hopes the brown shirts dont catch him. Do you make the call?
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Nope, I would tie a knot in his tape measure.
    I'm Pro-Pike.

Real men and hunters would turn themselfs in so if he don't on his own I would help him.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Real men and hunters would turn themselfs in so if he don't on his own I would help him.
    Well said. +1
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I agree with what you said but I also think many people do not because the Judge and brown shirts do not take into account that you self identified. They treat you as bad as they do hunters who shot a 37”. This type of “judgment” will make a honest hunter dishonest. Sad but true.

If he volunteered the info then one would assume he was going to turn himself in. If I'm sitting there with a bull moose, and another hunter comes by with a tape measure trying to put it on him, then there might be issues. There could be more too it also. What if the guys is trying to feed his family for the winter, and if he turns himself in, he loses the meat and possibly his hunting ability. I'd go about my business, since I'm not a brown shirt. Now, if your a guide, I believe there is not a choice in the matter, legally.

I had a good discussion with a brown shirt about this issue this fall. He was clear that if someone makes a mistake, and then turns himself in, it's a $300 ticket and loss of the moose, and that's it. If he gets caught trying to haul it out than the book is thrown at the guy. I would personally turn myself in and hope for the best.
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

I'm not much of a moose hunter but the guy who pulls the trigger on a 49-50" moose without seeing the legal number of brow times knows darn good and well he's taking a chance on the critter be a smidge under legal.

Its his call to make whether he pulls the trigger or not and his consequences when he's wrong.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

No need to get LEO involved.

Instead .... Why not post a thread on Alaska Outdoor Forums that says (How big do you think this moose is?) Then post up photos of the hunter, the story, date and location the moose was shot? LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by FishKing View Post
    I agree with what you said but I also think many people do not because the Judge and brown shirts do not take into account that you self identified. They treat you as bad as they do hunters who shot a 37”. This type of “judgment” will make a honest hunter dishonest. Sad but true.
    Though I've not personally had a game infraction, that's not been my experience in AK. I've not seen someone self report an infraction and receive a warning, but I've seen two different self reports (1 person shot a cow moose, 1 was a geographical issue with a brown bear) and the outcome was on the bare minimum side of the sentencing. The one case that I know of where the perpetrator did not self report he received punishment according to the full extent of the law--jail time, fine and revocation of hunting privileges. IMO, self reporting effects sentencing, and rightly so.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Quote Originally Posted by FishKing View Post
    In the two areas I've lived the hunters were treated very different,thousands and thousands different in some cases.Everyone I know of that turned themselfs in got the minimum fine
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Real men and hunters would turn themselves in so if he don't on his own I would help him.
    that;s the way i see it. I know (from personal experience) that there are brownshirts out there with agendas and issues that have no correlation to the law or severity/intent of infraction. that's their problem, not mine. if i see a violation and do/say nothing, that's my problem, and i got enough already.
    The right thing is the right thing... if someone down the line from your phone call doesn't do the "right thing", it isn't your problem if YOU did the "right thing".
    Saying you wouldn't turn someone in because some brownshirts are jerks doesn't accommodate the fact that most brownshirts are not.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

No. This is not poaching, which is willfully and knowingly killing an illegal animal. Of course it is a game violation, but I decidedly do NOT report every game violation I hear about. I don't report a guy going 30 over the speed limit either, though he is undoubtedly more of a social threat than the guy who unluckily shot a 49er.

Default You bet!

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    I thought it might be interesting to see where this might go. Everyone said they would report a poacher in the other thread. Does it still apply to this.

You are hunting and come across a guy that just shot a 49" bull in a 50" area. It was a honest mistake and he misjudged the animal and he shares with you that he hopes the brown shirts dont catch him. Do you make the call?

I need to sell you my new Rack Stretcher! Guaranteed to gain 1..5 inches to every rack, only $19.99!

Tough call for sure. I have taken some very close bulls and i have passed on some because I did not want to take the risk.

Good question.

Walt
    Gulkana River Raft Rentals
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
    Unit 23 Float Hunts/ Camp Rentals
    Starting in Fall of 2012
    907-259-4290

If I buy two, can I stretch 3"?? Heck, I might even get 10 of em!
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

If I shot a 49"er I'd suck it up, pay the fine, and move on with my life. But I'm not going to report another guy, I'd leave that up to him.

Quote Originally Posted by K Dill View Post
    No. This is not poaching, which is willfully and knowingly killing an illegal animal. Of course it is a game violation, but I decidedly do NOT report every game violation I hear about. I don't report a guy going 30 over the speed limit either, though he is undoubtedly more of a social threat than the guy who unluckily shot a 49er.
    Where in the regulation is the "luck" stipulation? There is no legal allowance for luck, or hoping, or guessing, is there? You are obligated to determine that the animal meets the requirement before you squeeze the trigger. If you fail to do so, and you shoot a 49 in a 50 area, you weren't unlucky, you were negligent. Knowing the requirements of the law, and willfully taking a risk on an animal you can't guarantee as being legal can not be defined as anything other than a willful act.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

somebody gouig over the speed limit does NOT have any affect on my being able to obey the sped limit myself. Someone poaching a 49" moose most definatly affects my chance at getting that moose the next year.
    Bad anology, find another.

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Where in the regulation is the "luck" stipulation? There is no legal allowance for luck, or hoping, or guessing, is there? You are obligated to determine that the animal meets the requirement before you squeeze the trigger. If you fail to do so, and you shoot a 49 in a 50 area, you weren't unlucky, you were negligent. Knowing the requirements of the law, and willfully taking a risk on an animal you can't guarantee as being legal can not be defined as anything other than a willful act.
    You tell them Barney Fife. Hey, some guy just posted that he lost his dog in Eagle River. Why don't you head on over to that thread and tell him how irresponsible and derelict he is.

Quote Originally Posted by PAcWest View Post
    You tell them Barney Fife.
    uh, and your point is what?... under your hat, i guess.

if the guy seems like he really needed the meat, and was hard up, No, I would not. (if he was a rich arrogant pig I might) I would see if the guy wanted help, shoot it between the antlers with my gun and see if it helped, then try to sneak it out. pack it out 500 yards off the road where nobody travels, heck, with how tight money is and the fact that most folks aren't fortunate enough to have their pick of cows to butcher if you don't get a moose I'd help um pack it out. I would hide the cell phone so we would have a reason for not calling it in, too.

if it was a 3X2 like I almost shot this year( I didn't cause it was ill eagle, but if I didn't see that 3rd point) I'd do some horn work with the saw and sand paper and some stain. if the guys were well off, again, I would tell um to report it, but most of the folks I meet are poor folk just trying to make a living on 18 bucks an hour
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast