Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Could Use Some Help on Quality AR-15

Default Could Use Some Help on Quality AR-15

Hello Everyone! Happy New Year!

Well it looks like I'll be hitting the runway in Fairbanks with about 400lbs of my life in tow behind me on or about the first week in February!!! Right near my B-day on the 2nd! Well as soon as I land I'm heading to get my official Alaska license, and soon after buying a weapon. I have been looking around, and I guess Walmart out there started selling Bushmaster, but I've been told that they look cheap and that they have gone to hell. I am kind of settled on a company that in fact is based out of here in Connecticut, called Stag Arms. I especially like the fact that they take us backwards left handers into consideration and give us our own special rifle! Hot brass in your face in the middle of a firefight got kind of old. Connecticut is really tight with their laws when it comes to AR-15's, so I wanted to wait until I got to a gun friendly state before ordering. I was thinking along the lines of this. They will also do what they call a plus package for an extra $100, which would bring the total without tax to $1020. The plus package is listed below:

4150 barrel steel chrome lined
    1/7 Twist rifling
    M4 feed ramps
    Individually MP & HP tested and marked Bolt & Barrel
    M-16 Bolt Carrier
    Heavy (H) buffer assembly
    One extra 30rd USGI Magazine (two total)*

I value your advice and constructive criticism, so let me know what you think and what you might or might not change. Thank you for your time!

God Bless

Jeff
    My Brothers in Arms, I Will Never Be Able to Shake the Hands of the Real Heroes.

You dont need a license to buy a firearm in Alaska, only ID.
    You dont need a license to Concele Carry , either, no matter what your resident status, as long as you can legally own a pistol.

Good luck with the rifle.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Oh, I was under the impression that I had to prove residency before I could walk into a gun store and buy. I knew that I didn't need any special license or certificate, I thought the only prerequisite was that you lived in the state. Well, if you don't learn something new everyday, the day is wasted Thank you sir for letting me know.
    My Brothers in Arms, I Will Never Be Able to Shake the Hands of the Real Heroes.

It can be a state I.D. but the D.L is just as quick.Stag has good chambers 223/5.56nato.Is this your hunting rifle?
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Yes, it will be for a while. I would go for a .308, but it's a little more expensive than I can afford initially. I figured the 5.56mm would be a good all purpose round, instead of buying a bunch of different guns for different purposes. Looking ahead, I'm just going to have an AR-15 and an AR-10 for rifles. If I had more money to spend, I'd consider a rifle for everyday of the week lol, but I think it is practical just to start with a reasonably priced AR-15.

Jeff

You could buy a pretty nice bolt gun and scope that is more appropriate for hunting the bigger animals in Alaska for a lot less than you will spend on that Stag AR-15. The 5.56 is great for varmit but it really limits you on what you can hunt or even protection from furry things in the woods. Just my two cents.

I have to agree with alaskabliss. While I love my SIG556 with all the little bells and whistles, I personally wouldn't want to be walking around up there with it. It can stay here in PA while me and my 7MM RUM and Taurus 44 go on our 3rd trip in '13 for moose. And the Remington with Nikon 4.5-14 cost me a lot less than the SIG with no toys on it

That reminds me, speaking of 7MM, thank you for reminding me. I have been asked to give classes on trauma care in the field, and I guess one of the interested party would like to pay with a Browning 7MM magnum A-bolt, so maybe that safe heavy round will be covered after all! lol! To help you understand why, I have had an intimate relationship for almost 24 years, over half my life, with the AR type weapon. It's a comfort thing I guess as well. My Alaskan sponsors have a .44 magnum that they will sell for a nice price as a bear gun as well, sorry, keep forgetting these little details!

The PX on Fort Wainwright has several different AR platforms to choose from so if you still have an military ID you might want to check them out. Also if you get a 5.56 one stamped on the receiver it will be rated for both 5.56 and 223. The ones that are stamped 223, are not rated for the higher pressure 5.56 rounds.

Have a safe trip and we look forward to seeing ya around.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Corpsman View Post

Well it looks like I'll be hitting the runway in Fairbanks with about 400lbs of my life in tow behind me

Might have her go on a diet before she starts trekking around the Alaska woods....

I'm also in the market for an AR... glad you started this thread!

Welcome to AK!

I am a southpaw and I have a stag Model 2TL and love it. It's a great gun. But for hunting I would consider at least a 30-06.

That reminds me, speaking of 7MM, thank you for reminding me. I have been asked to give classes on trauma care in the field, and I guess one of the interested party would like to pay with a Browning 7MM magnum A-bolt, so maybe that safe heavy round will be covered after all! lol! To help you understand why, I have had an intimate relationship for almost 24 years, over half my life, with the AR type weapon. It's a comfort thing I guess as well. My Alaskan sponsors have a .44 magnum that they will sell for a nice price as a bear gun as well, sorry, keep forgetting these little details!
    After you get your feet on the ground, you could get an upper for your AR in this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.458_SOCOM . The power of a .45-70 in your AR platform. Then you'd have something for the bears.
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

Oh, I was under the impression that I had to prove residency before I could walk into a gun store and buy.
    You can buy AR-15's off these forums, alaskaslist.com or even garage sales with 100 round drum magazines and it's completely legal. Private bill of sale is recommended but not required. As far as I can tell, Alaskas libertarian gun laws apply to all US residents who qualify (anyone who can pass the standard FFL background check is qualified by Alaska law), even if you dont have resident status yet. If you're a gun nut, welcome to Disneyland.

What do you intend on hunting up here? While AR's, AK's and M1A's abound up here, there is so few hunting purposes up here where that is the best choice. 223 Remington isn't much good for anything bigger than caribou (some people argue that that caliber borders on unethical because of it's lack of power). If you intend on hunting bear or moose, I would highly recommend getting something at least .308 power level, and a bolt action is even better IMO.

As far as AR preference, I've heard good things about Stag. My co-worker has one from Olympic Arms (Washington based) and he has very high praise for it, and I believe they come cheaper than a Stag.

Welcome to the Great Land. If you're in Anchorage on the way up, PM me. Don't freeze to death up in Delta.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

For big game hunting, I'd stick with that 7mm Mag. That is perfect for up here and the Browning A-bolt's reputation is excellent.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

As far as your AR is concerned, for that price you can get a 6920 and call it good. I'm lefty and don't see the real advantage of a lefty AR with a brass deflector. Buying a gun through PSA would get you those specs for just over half that price. Shop the sales and you can get a stripped lower for $50, a rifle kit for less than $500. Just put one together for a buddy for around $525....

Corpsman,
    I'm just curious about something. How much better is a civilian grade AR rifle compared to an issued M4/16? I've never really had the urge to buy one. I've carried a m4 or m16 for over 15 years and honestly once I'm home from deployments etc I can't wait to pick up a quality bolt action. I think an AR would be fun to hunt coyote's etc with somewhere out west but to me they just don't seem practical in AK. Just my opinion so if that's what you want by all means go for it.

I love AR's and second hunt_ak on the Colt 6920. Basically a semi auto M4 that is issued to our military, made by the same guys that supply our military.

However...if I had a $1000 to spend on a firearm for Alaska an AR-15 would not be my first choice. Several stainless/synthetic bolt guns can be had, scoped, for $1000. I'd get one in 30-06.

Personally Im a LaRue fan but that just my taste. They have given me great customer service since Ive been a customer. And the PredatAR is one sweet looking machine.

http://www.laruetactical.com/predatar556

With that being said I would second everyone else... if you want to hunt get a bolt rifle in 30 cal or larger and you will be much better prepared for what AK has to offer. My AR is primarily my winter predator hunting rig and works great for it but that about all I use it for.
    I'm going to ctrl-alt-delete you so hard your mama's computer is going to reboot.

I would go for the bolt rifle as well.

There is also the issue that you will be living out in the bush and some towny will encounter you on the trail some winter and there you are with your AR and wild hair wearing your wolf pelt coat, wolverine breech cloth, and moose calf leggings. Said towny would be pretty freaked out at the site. Same sight with a normal rifle and the towny will probably not be too bothered - just some old trapper dude. Of course that 14 inch long pig sticker with the antler handle gleaming in your belt might cause them some concern.

.....do you see that chain I just yanked? sorry about that, but it was just hanging there and called out to me .....

My 2 cents on the topic:

Wolves, coyotes, and zombies: AR Platform

Everything else: Bolt Action in Stainless/composite

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast