Thread: Fairbanks Area Caribou

Default Fairbanks Area Caribou

Hey guys,

I was looking through the fish and game hunting regulations and noticed that caribou season is open for the 40-mile heard until February 28. (It's my understanding that this is up the Steese a ways) This is my first year as a resident hunter and I am unfamiliar with all the heard locations and such. Anyone have any advice regarding this season? My freezer is getting low to say the least and I could use the extra meat. I haven't heard anything about it by way of word of mouth around town. I would appreciate any advice or direction as to whether or not it is even practical to harvest one this time of year.

Thanks in advance

Just a heads up to check the regs really, really close and also the emergency orders. I don't do this hunt but know it is a CF and you better have current info before heading out. More folks will post with better info but all I can say is cover your rear and learn as much as you can before going. If it's even still open.

Here is a link to the Emergency Order, region 3 read EO 3-12-11, this is a registration hunt, so you have to register for a permit. Almost all the area near the road is closed.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=wcnews.main
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I rode over there hoping to take pictures a couple of weeks ago and didn't see the first caribou. If I had a snowmobile and a cabin on the Goodpaster, I'd head that way.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Thanks for the advice. I went by fish and game the other day and they filled me in with the necessary information. Like you said, when the quota is met they put out the emergency order, hence ending that year's hunt. It is still open this year, but the regs state that you have to be south of birch creek, which is at least 10 miles off the road. A snow go is a must unfortunately.