Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baitcaster Reel Question

Default Baitcaster Reel Question

Have never owned a Baitcaster. Am thinking about spolling aAbu Ambassadeur Garcia 6501 C3 lefty with 30 pound braid on a 8.5 foot medium heavy rod for fishing the Kenai.............is this OK

I checked Alaska statutes and it is ok!!!!

Actually I'd suggest mono instead of braided line...otherwise sounds like a good set up for just about anything the Kenai will offer-maybe a little heavy for silvers or reds but will work very well.

Tight lines and good luck!

My opinion would be go 50 pound braid, but I'm a braid maniac, and I don't like my line breaking. Besides that, you've made a good choice. Even the 30 lb. should be fine.
    "Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile." - Homer, Odyssey

My experience with baitcasters and braid is one big head ache that lasted an entire fishing season. If you have never used a baitcaster they are incredibly prone to rat's nest if not adjusted properly, seriously. And braid only makes the nest worse. I would stick with mono! I really like them baitcasters though, been using them for about 15 years now. It takes a lot of adjustment which entails a lot of frustration but I cannot imagine using anything else for salmon.

A little tip of the trade. If you have one of those really small swish armory knives that have that cheesy file blade, cut out a small notch about 1/8" from the tip. Just enough to grab line. This made untangling rats nest much easier than doing it with my fat uncoordinated fingers.

Abu Ambassadeur makes a good baitcaster, I really like them. But you have to make sure and keep them very clean and clear of silt. My reels take a pounding and get very dirty so I go through 1 Ambassadeur every 1-2 years.

Absolutely skip the braided line if you will be flipping or dragging bottom. Mono is a much better choice.
    If your trolling for Kings I do not know if it is a good choice or not.
    Tennessee

You have picked a good all around setup. Here's my .02 on lines. First braided lines offer no stretch where mono does, this puts all the work on the rod or the fishes lips. Braided lines don't usually tangle to themselves but if tangled with mono its time to cut and retie. If you are spooling up with a braided line I would suggest 1 of 2 things, spool up and attach a swivel and hook, hook to a tree and let ALL of the line out and then respool it with a good bend in the rod or jump in the boat, put on a diver and do the same. The point is if you don't load it tight, when its hookup time you will find that line buried deep into itself. Both lines have there uses but if I was combat fishing I would stick with mono. I have always had a habit for replacing mono every year (for a good reason) where braids will last.

Quote Originally Posted by 2PawsRiver View Post
    Have never owned a Baitcaster. Am thinking about spolling aAbu Ambassadeur Garcia 6501 C3 lefty with 30 pound braid on a 8.5 foot medium heavy rod for fishing the Kenai.............is this OK
    Reel

Rod

Line Good luck with the braided line. I spool with mono. Thats why I use baitcaster, I let the reel do the work instead of the line after you hook a fish. No need to horse a fish, Abu Garcia reels have excellent drag system and braking system. No sticking when the fish is taking line. As far as casting braided or mono line on a baitcaster, My friend has convinced me after watching all the trouble and tangles he had from the one time he thought he would try it. NO BRAIDED LINE for me.

Granted I am not an expert, nor have I ever guided anyone except myself. I do catch many salmon. www.salmonslayers.com

Choose wisely, maybe give us a report on your experience after you go with what you decide on.

TSS
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Just in case I didn't state it clearly before......If you don't put braided line on the spool tight, you will have nothing but problems and may very well rip it off and never look back. It can, does and will work flawlessly if used correctly. The choice is yours but there are several things to consider.

Default Combo recommendations

The rod and reel sound good! I would go with mono as well, but if fishing sockeye, I think you are way overgunned with 30# Yeah I like turning fish quickly in the fast water, but a stout rod and line in the upper teens is plenty. Plus it's easier to deal with hang ups and oh you will hang up!

Wyatt

Default respectfully disagree..

I am not an Abu Garcia fan, I've got six of them on my shelf...all retired...don't work! The drag system in them is very poor and easily burned out. Spend the bucks and get a Shimano. Upper end of the Shimano line will run you around $300, and worth the money if longevity means anything to you. The Calcutta series will outlast anything out there and the drag is smooth. All baitcasters require some practice to learn whether you use mono or synthetic braided line. I use Power Pro #30 on a Calcutta 400/7 ft 6inch rod and have caught a good number of Tarpon and sharks over 100# and a lot of smaller fish like salmon with no drag burnout. This reel is going on six years old with nothing other than routine maintenance. I prefer Power Pro over other braids and definately over mono. Most of the problems that people experience with braided line vs. mono are a result of trying to use the same rod that they use with mono. Due to the no-strech feature of the braided line a longer rod with a parobolic curve closer to full is required. Using no strech line translates into sensitivity that can't be matched by mono. Most braided lines have a diameter that is less than half that of mono resulting in greater distance when casting. Braided lines develop no "memory" as does mono resulting in a smoother flow through the guides on the rod while casting which also allows for greater distance. Braided lines are far more resistant to chaffing than even the best mono line. The downside of braided line seems to be it requires some learning. If you don't want to invest the time or effort into learning how to use it, don't waste your money on it.

Default Send me your reels?

Quote Originally Posted by floridafisherman View Post
    I am not an Abu Garcia fan, I've got six of them on my shelf...all retired...don't work! The drag system in them is very poor and easily burned out. Spend the bucks and get a Shimano. Upper end of the Shimano line will run you around $300, and worth the money if longevity means anything to you. The Calcutta series will outlast anything out there and the drag is smooth. All baitcasters require some practice to learn whether you use mono or synthetic braided line. I use Power Pro #30 on a Calcutta 400/7 ft 6inch rod and have caught a good number of Tarpon and sharks over 100# and a lot of smaller fish like salmon with no drag burnout. This reel is going on six years old with nothing other than routine maintenance. I prefer Power Pro over other braids and definately over mono. Most of the problems that people experience with braided line vs. mono are a result of trying to use the same rod that they use with mono. Due to the no-strech feature of the braided line a longer rod with a parobolic curve closer to full is required. Using no strech line translates into sensitivity that can't be matched by mono. Most braided lines have a diameter that is less than half that of mono resulting in greater distance when casting. Braided lines develop no "memory" as does mono resulting in a smoother flow through the guides on the rod while casting which also allows for greater distance. Braided lines are far more resistant to chaffing than even the best mono line. The downside of braided line seems to be it requires some learning. If you don't want to invest the time or effort into learning how to use it, don't waste your money on it.
    Yea, sounds like you got florida fishing down...If your not using those Abu reels, maybe want to get rid of them since they don't work so well for ya, I would be willing to send you the postage for you to send them to me. I have learned how to use them with mono and would but them to good use in Alaska instead of just sitting on your shelf.

I got a wife 2 daughters and a female cat. I can't even afford the box a shimano comes in.

Well just a thought? Let me know. TSS

The braided is nice. Yes it does take some getting used too but what doesn't. It ain't rocket science. I use a floro or mono leader on the working end. When I get a hank-up I only loose the end and I don't worry about stressing the entire length of the line. The little hook on the end of a blade is good. I use a paper clip. The rat nests happen with mono just as much as braid just a different color....I was fishing at night in Cape Hatteras off the beach. Just got done driving 14 hours and wanted to cast a few times before I turned in. FIRST FREEKING CAST!!! I had the biggest nest ever. 20 min later I cut the whole thing out and respooled. Fished that night and didn't do it again. "Must set tension properly ya big dope" I kept chanting. I like the way the drags work on baitcasters on larger fish. Smooth and one less stress point than the spinning reels. Can take a lot more line twist.
    Good fishing, Joel

I'm using the exact setup you are describing and have had great results. I absolutely love the 6501C3 even though I am right handed. The left handed baitcaster makes more sense to me so I don't have to keep switching hands to make a cast.

I used 30# braid last year for kings and never had a break. I found that it doesn't backlash any worse than mono will, and the smaller diameter is great! I have used this reel for many years now and have the "anti-backlash" brake completely backed off and simply thumb the reel which works quite well and it will cast a mile. If you snag something on the windup though (like the boat canvas.... ), look out, you will have the backlash of all backlashes . Unlike mono though, the backlash is rarely more than a couple of levels deep. I've had mono completely lash up and had to respool.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

go with mono and THE FISH WILL COME
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I have two Ambassaders that I've been using since 1989, every season, and one of them was used at the time I got it. But, I semi-burned two other Ambassaders out in Minnesota fishing with the BIG muskie lures in just two season. These two still work, but you gotta give them a swat on the side now and then.

The braid/mono issue seems big up here, but I've been using braid on 95% of my rigs for 5 years now, and LOVE it. The only real issue, which can easily be overcome, is that it will slide on the spool of the reel. So, you just wrap some electrical tape around the spool, and you'll be fine. Also, if you fill your reel spool up to the max with braid, you are much more susceptible to backlashes, so just spool about 75-80% of the way.

I think the guys who don't like braid haven't given it much of a chance. I think it's a miracle product. I feel like I'm in a Chevy vs. Ford contest with the mono guys...hehe. I have mono on one of my reels, and it serves a specific purpose. My other reels have braid, 8 lb, 20 lb, 50 lb and 80 lb. And I caught hordes of pinks, reds, a few silvers, and kings last year with 80 lb. braid...it is 20 lb thickness after all.
    "Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile." - Homer, Odyssey

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    A little tip of the trade. If you have one of those really small swish armory knives that have that cheesy file blade, cut out a small notch about 1/8" from the tip. Just enough to grab line. This made untangling rats nest much easier than doing it with my fat uncoordinated fingers.

I just use a crochet hook. No, I don't crochet, but spent a couple seconds in the sewing dept at Walmart (or someplace like that) and picked up a cheep hook. It works great for backlashes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripface View Post

The braid/mono issue seems big up here, but I've been using braid on 95% of my rigs for 5 years now, and LOVE it.

I think the guys who don't like braid haven't given it much of a chance. I think it's a miracle product. I feel like I'm in a Chevy vs. Ford contest with the mono guys...hehe. I have mono on one of my reels, and it serves a specific purpose. My other reels have braid, 8 lb, 20 lb, 50 lb and 80 lb. And I caught hordes of pinks, reds, a few silvers, and kings last year with 80 lb. braid...it is 20 lb thickness after all.
    There ya go, one mans crap is another mans gold.

TSS

Thumbs up Braid vs Mono

I just bought a new Shimano Curado 201 DPV for my Lamiglas Certified Pro rod. Because of the low profile and small size I loaded it with 40lb Power Pro braid. I enjoy light tackle fishing, and this set up has plenty of power to pull Kings from rivers I like to fish including Deep Creek, Ninilchik, Anchor, Karluk, and Kenai. I like braid for bobber & eggs or jigs because the line floats, which helps me with a drag free drift. Braid definetly works good depending upon the type of fishing.

Pros
    Small diameter
    Hook setting Power (higher hook up ratio)
    No stretch
    Sensitivity
    Strength
    Floats
    Less water resistance

Cons
    Hard to pull out birds nest
    Wind knots
    No line stretch
    line may sink into spool
    Hard to break off
    Last edited by Steelieguy; 03-30-2007 at 15:21. Reason: Spelling

Floridafisherman and a few others have also made some good points about the braided lines. They really are nice and very sensitive compared with mono. They require different knots than what you would use for mono to prevent the knots from pulling out. But in response to FF's statement about Abu being junk, well I wouldn't go that far. For the money you won't go wrong. I have used Abu reels for years, started out with the C3 series. Aside from cleaning and oiling they did require some inexpensive repairs at least every other year. Then I went to the C4 series, they are alot better reel and I haven't had the same repair issues even half as much. They have a better drag and an extra bearing. The last reel I bought was a C5 and it has been my favorite for the last 3 years with no repairs. I should point out that my wife, 2 sons and I are all fishing with those Abu's and between us we have 8 rigged up, 1 each for silvers and reds (5500's) and 1 each for Kings (6500's). Now figure out how expensive it would have been for the other reels. I don't think its worth the extra money in my situation considering the Abu's work just fine.

Note to self: if you switch lure, weight or rig remember to readjust the casting drag or you'll get a dose of ratnest if they aren't the same weight.

It really isn't that difficult to figure it all out. Time patience and read the instructions with both the baitcaster and the braided line. Its worth the attention. If you want help setting it up I'm in the valley and would be happy to meet you at the lake when it softens up.

I am sure I have some 6500 C3's laying around here somewhere.

One last thing, don't neglect the reel. When you put it away for the winter back off the drags so they are in a relaxed state or you'll have more repairs to deal with.
    Last edited by AKBighorn; 03-30-2007 at 17:24. Reason: addition

Default Ambassador bashing...

I reread my post and came on a little stronger than I meant to. As I said in my post I have six Abu Garcia Ambassadors in retirement all in various stages of disrepair. The fact that I have six of them should reflect that they aren't all that bad or else I am really stupid. Why would I have continued to buy them if they were junk? They are a very serviceable reel and parts for them are easily obtained. In fact some of the hard core surf fisherman up and down the East coast prefer them as they are easily modified with aftermarket parts. After popping $250 for my first Calcutta I found it was a far superior reel, at least for my uses here in Florida. The conditions it has been used in are brutal, sand, salt, heat...all enemies of any reel. It has stood the test of time as well as repeated super hot fish burning 200 yds off on a single run. To advise a beginner to spend that much money on his first baitcaster was probably not very well thought out. As to the choice of line I will advise a beginner to choose the Power Pro in 20 or 30# and pick a rod at least 7 ft. 6 in or longer that has an action that is somewhat softer than a traditional "bass" rod. Fenwick makes an eight foot rod for 15 to 20 # line that is usually under $100. There are a lot of good manufacturers out there that make quality rods for that matter....just don't get one that is too short if you use the braided line........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast