Thread: Tanana

Default Tanana

Anyone hear any interesting stories lately regarding crossing the tanana around salcha? The forcasted warm spell might be trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Bsj425 View Post
    The river wasn't terrible but not good either lots of overflow around the edges and open leads full of slush after these 2 weeks of -40 again should be nice and solid...
    .....he was at N-Pole.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Thank you. Read his posts and have to say from what I've seen the river froze up a bit different compared to last year. I should say some froze and some didn't!

You never know with the Tanana around Salcha. It's never the same twice in a row, and it can change from one day to the next. It has been pretty darn cold for a couple weeks now, so the odds of finding a reasonably safe crossing should be pretty good.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

Yeah you never know on the big rivers. Rumor has it some folks had an interesting time getting home a while back. Must have been before the big freeze?

Hadn't heard that, but would have no trouble believing it. Has been consistently way below zero in Salcha for a couple weeks now tho. I hear it's been pretty balmy back down there in gods country the past month, eh?.
    #Resist

Yes it has been a mild winter so far. Was in tok and delta for the holidays and that brought me back to reality. Did a little scouting in -35 on sunday. That was fun. Where you at now? Noticed the "location" changed.

Am a reluctant resident of the middle Tanana valley now, but my heart is still down there.
    #Resist

Ah my condolences People have asked me why I like it here because to them it isn't "pretty". Well I think it is and there are also a ton of bonuses most folks never bother to figure out. Anyways I heard a group was stranded on the far side of the tanana with 6 moose a while back. That's the rumor floating around.

Attachment 56317
    "Pretty" is in the eye of the beholder, I guess. I always thought the CB was one of the most beautiful places in the state...

Somebody with recent info on Salcha will likely chime in later in the A.M. Have a good night
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by mod elan View Post
    People have asked me why I like it here because to them it isn't "pretty". Well I think it is and there are also a ton of bonuses most folks never bother to figure out.
    You know you want to move to Anchorage!

Just duct tape John's throttle wide open and let him find a way across! No frostbite this trip for participants!

Yeah that's a great idea for a test run we will use rob's sled... Hey go buy some salt and teach your students the fine art of throwing salt on ice...

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    Just duct tape John's throttle wide open and let him find a way across! No frostbite this trip for participants!

I think this is a great idea! Now we just have to keep his sled from sucking sticks up in the track when its is halfway across the overflow and he should be good to go.