Thread: Whats the best day pack in alaska?

Default Whats the best day pack in alaska?

I would like to get y'alls opinion on the best day pack for the money. I have looked at all of the badlands packs and emberstock packs, howerver I am open to any suggestions. I wont be hauling much meat with it and would like the option of being able to carry a bow or gun. I would also like a good warranty on one. Thank you for your help.

Not really what you consider a day pack,, but I really like my KU5200. @ 3lbs it is lighter than most day packs and I always have my rifle at the ready. Have taken a number of animals while my friends tried to untie their rifle from their pack.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I've been looking hard at the Eberlestock G29 Tailhook Pack. It looks like a great day pack with enough room but I'm just not sure about the way they carry a rifle. I think they were originally designed to carry a bow which is at least half the weight of a light rifle and the bow would lay flat against the pack better than a rifle...I think. Camofire had them a couple days ago at half price but I missed them.

Anyone use them? What do you think?
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Not really what you consider a day pack,, but I really like my KU5200. @ 3lbs it is lighter than most day packs and I always have my rifle at the ready. Have taken a number of animals while my friends tried to untie their rifle from their pack.

Steve what tripod is that you have straped to the pack?
    Thanks

It is a Gitzo Carbon Fiber Tripod G1028 Manfrotto 484 Ball Head. Did you ever figure out your pack strap issue? It might be because you are so side across the shoulders.

Steve
    Founding Member

Thanks Steve. I didn't get the pack figure out and they are exchanging what I have for a new one. Said it could be the sizing was wrong when they made it.

Sorry to the OP for the conversation here. There is a Badlands on Camofire right now for a great price. The reviews on this pack all sound great and it would make a good day pack.

I have a Eberlestock X2 and it serves me well for wheeler based hunts. The integrated rifle scabbard is nice but I have never tried to use the bow straps. I like the Eberlestock day packs and their tactical packs but don't really care for the shoulder straps on their big packs for heavy loads. Mine is several years old and I have no complaints.

I use the badlands 2200 for the day pack when I hunt alaska...

The badlands 2200, The weight empty is 6 lb. 4 oz, for that one would be better off just using the pack they intend to carry meat with and save the money and weight of having two packs in camp. I'm asking those that prefer a day pack, what is the benefit?? They don't really weighs less than the pack you carry meat with. Plus when you kill a animal you have to return to camp and make an extra trip to get your other pack. Help me understand the thought behind a day pack.

I have just used a frame pack without the bag and strap a dry bag with the stuffed needed for the day on it.
    Founding Member

I really like the Mystery Ranch "Dragonslayer". I've used and abused mine to no end and it's still running strong. Will easily hold a days worth of gear and the 3zip organizes it second to none. I've strapped rifles, tripods, bows, and caribou quarters to it even.

Dragonslayer+rifle.jpg
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I bought the Badlands 2200 yesterday off Camofire...thought it was a good deal ($157 plus shipping) and I looked at Cabela's reviews and most everyone loves it (4.7/5 rating).

Steve,

I have always hauled meat on a frame with a homemade sling or inside the bag. My thought on the 2200 was that I could keep my clothes and stuff inside the bag clean and dry and still haul something like a quarter or less on the first trip back to camp. At least for me when I start carrying meat I start huffin and puffin and get hot real fast so off comes the clothes unless it is really cold then I still shed something along the way.

When I turned 60 a couple years ago it became painfully obvious that I was NOT going to carry a 100 lbs of meat per trip anymore so I have been looking for a smaller pack that can still do 50 lbs and keep my stuff clean and dry. I'm hoping the 2200 will work for that mission.

The absolute best answer is to have 2 sons in camp to carry the meat and I just supervise!!!
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post

I have just used a frame pack without the bag and strap a dry bag with the stuffed needed for the day on it.
    I do the same. Sometimes I strap a small day pack to the frame. And will drop the frame off and just take the day pack. I'll do this if I'm heading to a real tangle of snow brush and coming back out the same way.
    "The older I get, the better I was."

I have used a lot of different packs, I had a badlands 2200, a elberlestock blue widow, elberlestock x2, and I have finaly settled on what I think is the best pack out there, When I move to alaska in a few weeks I will be bringing my horn hunter full curl system, this pack will do it all from day pack to a bivy pack.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
    I bought the Badlands 2200 yesterday off Camofire...thought it was a good deal ($157 plus shipping) and I looked at Cabela's reviews and most everyone loves it (4.7/5 rating).

The absolute best answer is to have 2 sons in camp to carry the meat and I just supervise!!!
    That is an awesome plan and sounds like the perfect reason to use a day pack!!!
    Founding Member