Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For my fellow sheep hunters......

Default For my fellow sheep hunters......

My son Kyle took these pictures today...I was impressed! I'm saying 10 years old, 37" on the long side and 13 3/4" bases...maybe 14"?....what ever he is, it's a cool picture and made me smile ear to ear!

Ramhunter,

Very very Nice !!!!!......that ram has got some age to him and what a nice thick coat on him too.

Thanks Kyle for taking the pics...

Chuck

great photo's im going to guess that he might break 40.....age and bases i would agree
    I ♥ Big Sheep

This is going to be very interesting on what Joe Want and others say for length!.....

If not just for conversation only......that's the length on this ram?

and this one, 13 years this old ram was!......

Awesome photos Ramhunter, great thread to pass time to sheep season.

I added some lines to mark what I think is his age annuli. Do you agree I have them marked correctly?? Trying to help the new sheep hunters.

Last edited by stid2677; 01-04-2012 at 19:33.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

From what I learned Stid, that first ring at the base usually is it's current year and is only a half year. Tough to tell because it goes below the hairline in the back. Again, what I was told by F&G is that ring has to go all the way around the back of the horn and make a full circle with a groove that you can run your thumb nail through. Tough to say?

Mossy Horn,, I would say he has a lot of fur that is covering quite a bit of horn. If you look at the front view I believe you can see that it goes all the way around.
    Founding Member

Steve, I think that the first mark you have on the tip is not an annuli?...if it is then he's 11 years IMO?

I thought that maybe the slight ring between your marks 4 and 5 (from the base back) could be a annuli, like maybe a bad year for him that he didn't grow good?...but I don't really think so!

Quote Originally Posted by ramhunter View Post

I see that to one in my dreams every night,, WOW. I would guess in the 44 or 45 inch class. The bottom one 36 or 37.

Awesome photos and a great way to spend the winter!!!!

Steve
    Founding Member

For judging purposes I'd only go as high as 10 for the first ram. The second beauty 43 4/8 on the rt 42 on the lt. The old boy 35 even. Judged on my iPhone.

Hard to say without holding them but I tend to agree with Steve's assessment. The rings are simple biology, they are created during the winter due to low nutrients in their diet. I think we can all agree on a couple facts. 1 sheep are born in may-jun. 2 sheep are hunted in Aug-Sept. These dates are simply the way it is. The rings are formed over winter so the lamb tip ring happens at about 7-8 mos old then the lamb turns 1 in late may- early june. This goes on for 8 years and when it is 8 years 3 mos old it sees it's first year as a legal animal. There is no 9 and 1/2 year old rams harvested, it is either 9 years 3 mos or 10 years 3 mos. All of the sheep get their rings at the same time. If it has a ring low to its head it counts, that ring was from the previous winter and the rams birthday was clearly before hunting season as they are all born the same time every year. Make sense?

LMAO....claim down Steve, his not that big!....there was a Ram with him that we figured was 2" longer, we saw them the night before together and couldn't get on them, It was my turn to pick, so of coarse I wanted the bigger ram!....in case your guessing, yup I couldn't sleep all night thinking of them two rams!....the next morning we couldn't find the hog, another hunting party camped below the rams spooked him off, Ken shot this one and we hunted five days looking for the bigger ram, but never found him!...at the end of the hunt I shot the 13 year old.....will give lengths on them two after folks give their guess, we'll make it fun!....grin

He's bigger than any I have seen alive and I would not look long before sending some lead his way to be able to put the tape on him.
    Founding Member

Yup, he's a shooter!....the hard part was on the stock Ken fell in the rocks and broke the trigger off his gun! So we only had one gun!.....we come up on the back side of a ridge there we saw them the night before! Found Ken's ram lying in the same bed he was in the night before, only 60 yds below us facing away from us, so we went up and down the back side of the ridge about 200 yds each way looking for the hog, after we couldn't find him and figuring he was bedded below kenís ram. Ken shot his ram dead in it's bed, then he handed me my rifle thinking the hog as below and would come running up to us, well at the shot 3 rams that we couldnít see came running right up to us, a full curl and two half curls but no hog, we run all over the hillside looking for him, but he was long gone!.....and that's hunting!.....

sure not a sheep hunter but would think maybe 33 or 34 at the best?
    wes
    My son Kyle took these pictures today...I was impressed! I'm saying 10 years old, 37" on the long side and 13 3/4" bases...maybe 14"?....what ever he is, it's a cool picture and made me smile ear to ear!

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

38 x 14 and 11.5 on the sheep your son took the pics of...if that's on the way to girdwood I think I saw him last week as I was taking some deer meat to Indian valley...he was in spitting distance of the road just loving the rubber-neckers!

41 on the long and 39 on the short on the big guy, he has great length but doesn't drop down by the jaw like some of the biggest boys. I agree on the 35" guess on the other. They both look like old school Chugach Rams to me...thanks for sharing the pics.
    Experience is the name every one gives to their mistakes. ~Wilde

I'm a sheep hunter and I say great pictures - thanks!

42 1/2" x 38 7/8"

and the 13 year old ram on the bottom: 36" both sides.

Ok....you got the 13 year old, 36" on each horn, was broomed off each side, we figured maybe 3-4" or so!

Where's Joe when you want him?.... I'm wanting him to give his size assessment of the other two rams!....grin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast