Thread: Shooting Bench

Default Shooting Bench

Anybody got any plans for a good shooting bench? I googled shooting bench plans and saw a few. I found one set that I like but thought you all might have a better style. Thought I would research it a little before cutting anything and building one then see one I like better. Thanks.

There are lots of ways to skin this cat, but masonry has no peers in stability. I've constructed several from various kinds of wood for easier transport, but after a number of good benches, I built a bench with 8" blocks (poured solid) and a 6 inch slab for the table. Let's just say its SOLID. Of course this was in NC, but it is still one of the disposable items that I miss most.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

I have a "portable" bench I bought from a guy in Helena about 12 years ago, I'll be darned if I can remember his business name though - the platform is 1 1/8" plywood with 3 2" pipe legs that screw into threaded inserts attached to the platform bottom - it is absolutely solid and very portable, I've used it at at least 100 different locations over the years I've had it - I think I got the original name out of the Varmint Hunter magazine - I can take pictures in detail if you'd like

If it doesn't have to be portable, use old railroad ties. Three side by side sheeted with 1/2" plywood for the top. Cut some more in half and stack 3 or 4 sheeted together under the ends of the top perpendicular to the top for the legs. More plywood over the top to leg joints and you have a quick to build, cheap,solid, outdoor durable bench. Concrete is even better but is more work.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    There are lots of ways to skin this cat, but masonry has no peers in stability. I've constructed several from various kinds of wood for easier transport, but after a number of good benches, I built a bench with 8" blocks (poured solid) and a 6 inch slab for the table. Let's just say its SOLID. Of course this was in NC, but it is still one of the disposable items that I miss most.
    Wonder what fright charge for shipping that to Dillingham would be. 

Iíve seen some good ones but I just use a sturdy folding table with a 2X12 on 4X6 blocks clamped to it for the wrap around and add about 6ď to get the rifle up to shooting altitude. Sometimes I toss some bags of play sand on it for mass to take some wiggle out, not fancy but it works and I take the table camping to use as a table.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I built one last summer using my old Black and Decker Work Mate. I put a plywood shelf on the bottom for a 60 pound sandbag and made a heavy duty plywood top that clamps in the workmate to mount my Lead Sled. The lead sled has holes in the table top for the feet to sit solidly in and I have the sandbags to fit the tray of it also. If I didn't have it packed away for the winter, I would set it up and take a picture for you, but gonna be spring before that happens now. Very portable and sturdy thow. I'll post a pic next time I dig it out.
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

portable vs. on site makes a huge difference in this discussion - which do you want ?

I am wanting to build a new one in my yard. I had one built of steel and needed some pushing done and was going to have the guy running the loader move it so I could put it back later. I had the legs cemented in the ground and the loader folded it up trying to get it out of the ground. I am putting this one in the back yard and prefer to build this one out of treated wood. I have all the posts I need to build one just not sure what size and what design I want.

the guys are right on that one, use concrete and PT 6x6's and be sure to plant the front legs deep and solid enough - I had one when I lived in Joseph and a buddy brought over his shooting rest that hooked over the front edge - we had to fireform 300 .300 Ackley rounds and before we knew it we had lifted the 2 front legs 4" out of the ground from recoil