Thread: Can 2nd deg kindred apply for resident only tags?

Default Can 2nd deg kindred apply for resident only tags?

FYI--I did a search on here for this info because I figure this has already been asked, but I am either not adept enough or patient enough to wade through it.
    I had always thought that I couldn't put my brother (a non-resident) in for resident only tags (i.e. Chugach Sheep, Denali Hwy Caribou, etc...) on a party permit application. I talked with someone who put their brother (a non-res) in with them on a party hunt recently. They said they checked and that is the way they are supposed to do it. Still have to buy the non-res tag, but were allowed to apply as a resident within the 2nd degree kindred rule.
    Has anyone researched this? My brother may have been missing out on some opportunities all these years if true. I don't necessarily agree with it, but if it is legal I probably owe my brother the chance--I have been telling him all these years that he wasn't able to apply that way.
    If someone doesn't have the answer here, I will check with ADFG (probably should do that before next year anyway). Thanks in advance...kr

sure doesn't sound legit but a stop in at ADFG would get it straight.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    sure doesn't sound legit but a stop in at ADFG would get it straight.
    better yet, contact the AK wildlife troopers....doesnt sound right at all to me....i dont believe nonresidents are eligible in any way to apply for a resident only tag.....

Release Lake Trout

In my experience, a non-resident hunting with a resident under the 2nd degree of kindred rules apply for the resident tags for brown bear on Kodiak. Or at least they come out of the same pot. All the other hunts are resident and even 2nd degree of kindred nonresident cannot apply. However, I'd appreciate knowing what F&G or better yet the troopers have to say. I looked through the regulations in 5 AC 92 but cannot find any provisions except the Kodiak brown bear hunts.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    better yet, contact the AK wildlife troopers....doesnt sound right at all to me....i dont believe nonresidents are eligible in any way to apply for a resident only tag.....
    The State of Alaska would likely appreciate the extra revenue.

I doubt the brother could hunt with a resident tag unless he was a genuine resident, which is a different scenerio than posted in the OP, (i.e. "They said they checked and that is the way they are supposed to do it. Still have to buy the non-res tag, but were allowed to apply as a resident within the 2nd degree kindred rule.") note: The 2nd degree of kindred rule applies to guiding requirements.

Would it (nonresident applying for a resident permit) compromise the drawing opportunities for the others in the party? I look forward to hearing what the OP learns.

Sounds like someone is mixing their apples and oranges. The 2nd degree stuff only has to do with NON-Rez guide requirements. They don't get to apply for rez-only tags in any instance.

The only thing I can find in the draw rules in reference to party applications I get from unstated implication, and that doesn't mean it is possible. It would seem that if you have a hunt which has a batch of rez tags and non-rez tags, that the rez could party apply with the non-rez. Having never been involved in a party applicaton, I'm not sure if the 2 party members can apply for separate tags within the same hunt or not. But that's the only thing about such a rez/non-rez party that I can come up with from the regs.

It absolutely doesn't state that the non-rez member of a party can apply for a rez tag just because he's part of a party and there is no mention of 2 kindred status whatsoever (beyond the guide requirements).
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

This would be a great question for the "Ask the Trooper" forum....too bad that went dormant. Last post in November and June before that.

I'm not sure that the residency of the cousin in question was ever specified, but there is a pretty good description of what constitutes a resident and a non-resident in the regulations, and it seems to me that it would take a resident to hunt with a resident tag.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    Sounds like someone is mixing their apples and oranges. The 2nd degree stuff only has to do with NON-Rez guide requirements. They don't get to apply for rez-only tags in any instance.
    The one exception is the Kodiak brown bear tags (as someone previously mentioned). Non-residents hunting with 2nd degree kindred have to apply in the resident tag pool. It's a disadvantage to them, though, in that the resident draw rates are significantly lower on Kodiak than the non-resident draw rates.

SD & BM... The OP's 2nd sentence states his brother is a non-resident and then goes on to talk about putting him in for resident-only tags for Chugach Sheep and Denali Caribou under the party application. It seems pretty clear that we're NOT talking about Kodiak BB, which is a whole different animal. It's a pretty specific case and by anything that I can see in the regs, a non-resident CANNOT apply for a resident-only sheep or caribou tag just because he is half of a party that includes a resident.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    SD & BM... The OP's 2nd sentence states his brother is a non-resident and then goes on to talk about putting him in for resident-only tags for Chugach Sheep and Denali Caribou under the party application.
    Gotcha. I guess we were replying to the "etc." included in the original post and also covering the other possibilities for those who might be reading this thread in the future with the same questions. Not trying to correct you - just adding some detail.

I put in Kodiak BB in my response because that may have been the reason for the confusion from "..Someone who put his brother in..." He did not specify the species there so I thought it might be for Kodiak. But you are correct that the OP stated sheep and caribou. Just trying to see where the confusion may have come from.

I just confirmed with ADFG that they could not apply together as a party permit. They could apply separately for some of the sheep tags, but would have to be extremely lucky to draw because they can't apply together since they are different hunt numbers. I don't have direct contact, but I can get the information relayed to them that they are out of luck and just donated (like most of the rest of us!) to a worthy cause. Thanks for the feedback.

I don't know about the second degree of Kindred rule But I can tell you this first had, My hunting partner a res and I a nonres wanted to put in as a party for an area that had both res and non res tags. I called F&G to see if we could do that and they said we could NOT put in as a party at all . This was for an interior moose hunt with 30 tags on either side res/nres.