Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Almost stranded

Default Almost stranded

I was out predator calling a couple weeks ago and on my way back, my skandic LT started to act up. When I would go to give the machine power while cruising along, the thing would slip. It was almost as if a gear wasn't engaging, or the feeling of the track slipping on something. I stopped and checked out the sled on the trail and everything looked alright. I popped the hood and the belt was fine and everything else looked as it should. It was around 7PM and -20F outside, so I really wanted to get back to the truck, which was still 9 miles away. I went another 1/4 mile and the machine kept losing speed and eventually all it did was make that slipping sound. I called home on the sat phone and told everybody what was going on and that I'd call them back in an hour with an update. I took my action packer off the back of the machine and flipped it up on the side and saw that the track had about 4 inches of slop in it. Upon closer inspection the problem presented itself. The front A support arm has two bolts on each side that attach to plates that mount on the runners. One of those bolts had sheared a head off and then the other side slowly cut its way through the other plate. Upon cutting through, the two torsion springs attached to that A support let loose, essentially taking almost all pressure off the track.

I broke into the action packer and went to work with all of the cam lock straps I carry. I put 4 of them on the A support and tried the machine, but it was still just spinning with no go. I flipped it again and got the two torsion springs held down and 4 other straps around that A support to hold it in place. I was pulling with both hands and feet on those straps to get as much tension as possible into them. Then, I flipped the machine and put two more straps on the other side in similar fashion. Reluctantly, I tipped it back flat and fired it up. Very slowly I gave it throttle and it moved. It seemed to engage like normal, which made me very happy. At this point I was really working up a sweat from tipping and strapping that machine. I quickly put the action packer back on the machine, slung the rifle on the back and very slowly headed down the trail. Here's a quick picture of the strap job on the side that sheared the plate:

I'm sure glad that I carry some of the odd-ball things that I do. Paracord and bailing wire would have been hard pressed to fix this one for me. Tools wouldn't have helped me either unless I had a welder with me and new bolts to fix that sheared plate. The only thing that would have made this field fix easier would have been two of the self retracting ratchet straps. With two of those I really could have sucked up that A frame in a hurry and strapped it down. Those are now added to my list of goodies I carry in the field. My wife was quite happy when I called her back and let her know that I wouldn't have to hike out. She was happy and I made it home in time for some very tasty dinner.

Good job! Be prepared, thats my motto!

nice! didja have stuff to start a fire and such things?
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

very interesting! good thing to know and those are one of the things i carry in my backpack is a pair of ratchet straps.....use em for alot of things but this is new to me....definately gonna pass this on....thanks!

Release Lake Trout

For sure on the fire starting stuff. I carry a small otter case with fire paste, lighters, matches, and enough other fire making tinder to get a raging fire going in a hurry. There are also 3 waterproof flares in the action packer too, just in case. I had enough stuff to camp out if need be, other than my sleeping bag. I could've made a quick snow cave with the small tarp I carry if things were looking really bad, but not needed. If it gets too bad I'd just call the troopers and give my coordinates for the helicopter pickup.

It's nice for guys to share both the problem and fixes so we can learn the lessons too. Not everybody has the ability to problem solve like that, or to think outside the box. Thanks for taking the time to share and give us some good ideas.
    ARR

but, none of that really matters, the only thing that matter was what caliber were you shooting???????you weren't using a corelokt were you??
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

almost..next time call!

Glad ya made it back safe and even more so to hear that ya carry a sat phone out there.
    I'm Pro-Pike.

Glad you made it back alright... and thanks for sharing.... made me put on my cap & coat and go look at all the bolts/bolthead on my Skandic... I usually carry 1 or 3 ratchet straps under my seat.... but I had to look just to make sure... again... thanks for sharing

You the man Snowcamoman. You the man.

FurFishGame,
    I was carrying my 6PPC, unfortunatly it wasn't fired on that trip nor any critters seen.

TradBow,
    Thanks for the offer, I'll take you up on it if I ever find myself totally stranded.

Old John,
    The bad thing is that even if I would've had the bolts, I was out of luck in this case since the one side had a sheared off bolt and the other had a sheared plate. If I had a cordless drill and extractors I would've been able to get one bolt in the one side. I'm reassessing other small items that I might need to carry with me for strange and obscure fixes in the field. I should probably start going with a partner to keep things safer. Many of my trips are last second type things and that makes it really tough to do with somebody else.

Snowcamoman,,

You can add me to your call list as well. All I have is a Mudd Ox on tracks, but if I can get it there I will help you recover your sled if ever needed. I have been stranded and it is not a good feeling. My number is 907-460-1008 if you ever need it.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Pretty Impressive,
    "Make it happen, thinking," there Camoman,

that's a great post,

nothing like that feeling, where you just gotta keep trying,....cause giving up,...
    and starting the walk, or setting up camp is too ugly to be much of an option
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Thanks a ton for the offer Stid, I put you on my contact list, I really appreciate that offer if I ever need it. Those Mudd Ox's look like a pretty amazing piece of equipment, I'd like to check that out one day.

If you are in the Fairbanks area just let me know anytime, I'm retired and around most of the time.

Steve
    Founding Member

I almost called you tonight....thankful I forgot to take the chains out of the truck, would have been a long walk home LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    I almost called you tonight....thankful I forgot to take the chains out of the truck, would have been a long walk home LOL.

Yes Sir,,my offer is good for any forum member, If I can I am willing to try to help. Glad you got home safe, reminds me I need to get some chains or cables. I want to make a run up the haul road in the next few weeks.

Steve
    Founding Member

I always carry lots of weird stuff. I love it when a plan comes together. Great job!!
    Follow me...................

I carry ratchet straps for just such situations but haven't had to use them. I have done the trail side scratch your head and figure out which bolts are less critical than the one that broke and will still replace it deal though! There are some simple truths to remote off road travel. One I have learned is that four 3 lug wheels work better than three 4 lug wheels and one with 0.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast