Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you report a poacher?

Default Would you report a poacher?

That ferry trail article got me wondering how many of you would call in an illegal hunter and why or why not? Maybe you think it's not your business.

In a heartbeat.

They're stealing from the rest of us.

Not a question in my mind. I carry a camera wherever I go and, if at all possible, would be getting photographic evidence to support the report so there would be little left to doubt. Looking the other way does nothing to help anyone but the poachers.

Yup...I sure would (and have).

I would turn them in without a second thought; if i turned my head then i am just as guilty as they are.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

I thought this would be more of a debate I guess the other side is embarrassed or feel guilty to speak up. I was in a pretty popular area this year on the opener I saw one sub legal get dropped there was probablly 20 guys in the area and apparently only me and one other guy called it in and the other guy was ball brave enough to take the trooper out to him. I thought that was impressive but I thought they offered a reward for those tips and they never even called me back to get the rest of my statement. I know there were others who witnessed it but apparently it was turn the blind eye

I'd be on the phone the minute I could, and I would take pics and record any evidence I could as well.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Not a problem. I have even taken pictures of commercial fishermen fishing when the season was closed. Same thing, poachers.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Absolutely, the way I see it is if I don't I am 1.) Guilty as they are 2.) wanting my children to have the same opportunity as I do. Poachers just ruin things for everyone, turn them in and be there to testify if needed.

I had no problem doing it in the passed until……….. I called in a moose that was hurt on the Big Sue a few years back. The Trooper came out and salvaged the moose and talked to the locals about the animal. When I got home there was a message asking me to call. He asks several questions that made no since, until the next day when I realize he was trying to trap me.

Then the Trooper could not find out who hurt the moose, he decided the Good Samaritan (ME) was now the guilty party, that really pissed me off.

I don’t know what I will do in the future, what I now know is you better watch out what you say or you well be the one in trouble.

Depends. I've read of folks killing bears and burying them instead of DLPing them here on the forum. I never heard of anyone turning them in. Somebody on the road system blatantly poaching, I'd turn 'em. Someone in the bush killing a moose the day after the season to feed their family. Probably none of my business.

I reported a group of guys that shot and abandoned a high climbing 5/8th curl ram in the Wrangells in 1998.
    I walked a couple miles to their camp and told them what I saw and that I intended to report them. Quite a scene really, that wasted ram climbing into the crags and expiring. And the idiot shooter with his profusely bleeding 'weatherby' eyebrow.
    They tried to explain that they were in an "any sheep" area which was miles from the actual shooting location.

I walked back from their camp to mine but watched them closely so I didn't also get shot.

I don't know if the Wrangell's ranger pursued them or not, but I suspect he did.
    Proud to be an American!

At what point does one jump to the conclusion that a hunter is an illegal hunter or poacher? I didn't think our legal system reacts so quickly.

I've helped hunters out before. I did ask some questions, assumed they were legal, and helped them out ... but didn't ask to see their tags or match their ID to their hunting license and tags....so perhaps they were poachers.

This reminded me of an event many years ago. A local chap that worked construction, drank and fought and was known to be a tuff SOB was also a known poacher. One night he was spotlighting near a friends house and this friend hopped in his car and caught up and got his plate numbers and turned back to run home a couple miles away to call it in - ya know before cell phones ! Anyway the purp turned around and chased him to his house - got out and grabbed my friend and said in terms easy to understand that he better think twice about turning him in as he should sleep lightly in case his house burnt in the night! My friend decided "not" to make a call... I don't think the bad guy was joking either.
    Kind of an odd twist of fate, this guys son died in a apartment fire many years later and when the father ( who was the above poacher ) learned of his sons fate he had a heart attack and died...
    I have turned two chaps, but there can be ramifications for sure with the wrong poachers....
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

If I see something that doesn't look right, maybe I would make a call when I could. I definitely wouldn't run in and start taking pictures of some one cleaning an animal that may or may not be legal. It's not my call to make, and not my responsibility.

The notion that "I'm just as guilty" for not making a phone call is crazy. Do you make a phone call everytime you see some one exceed the speed limit? If not, does that make you guilty?

This discussion is aimed at hunting violations, and I'd have no problem turning in a poacher. When it comes to fishing, though, I have a hard time getting excited about people "snagging" reds. Is anyone else a little tired of the armchair game wardens on the river bank each summer, eyeballing and calling out where each fish is hooked? We get it.....they need to be hooked in the mouth. Thanks for the play-by-play.

For the record, I do it correctly. I release any reds that aren't hooked in the mouth. I've seen people ticketed for snagging, and I just don't need a fish that badly....much less the embarrassment of a ticket. But, if the guy next to me on the bank keeps one that's not hooked in the mouth, I doubt I could care less. Tens of thousands of reds are scooped out of the river each summer with a 5-foot net, so the exact placement of someone else's Russian River Fly is of little concern to me. And, sockeyes are quite different than moose.....I've yet to see a moose hatchery, much less one that releases millions of moose into the wild each year.

So here's to you <cue the cheesy music> "Armchair game warden that calls out where everyone hooks their fish on the Russian or Kenai River". You're a Real Alaskan Hero!

On the TV the other night with the Alaska State Troopers ... there was the story of the hunter at Point Mac that shot the two moose. They called the Troopers, reported what happened, and the trooper issued a warning. The troopers took the extra moose and gave it to a needy family.

For the Healy situation (and without knowing the real circumstances) ... its bad enough that the moose was taken ... and very unfortunate that the moose was not salvaged.

Quote Originally Posted by Wet eNuf View Post
    On the TV the other night with the Alaska State Troopers ... there was the story of the hunter at Point Mac that shot the two moose. They called the Troopers, reported what happened, and the trooper issued a warning. The troopers took the extra moose and gave it to a needy family.

For the Healy situation (and without knowing the real circumstances) ... its bad enough that the moose was taken ... and very unfortunate that the moose was not salvaged.
    he only let them keep the moose cause they were buddy buddys, we were real good friends with the shooters, and the company I worked for this summer built the troopers hangar(yes there was some complications with me being 15 and using dangerous things such as a nail gun and saws and boom lifts), funny how that works that the buddys (and uhh, very well off folk) get off scott free and I would have gotten a 10000 dollar fine and my one gun I own that is moose capable taken away.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Yup...I sure would (and have).
    Same here!
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

Yep and have. I would do it again in a heart beat. We have laws for a reason weather or not we agree with them they still exist. Would you report some one braking in to your house. Bet you would.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast