Thread: More wanton waste - reward offered

Default More wanton waste - reward offered

...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I hope they catch the criminal. There's no excuse for shooting a moose and leaving it to rot. If you don't want it for yourself give the meat, hide, etc. to someone who can use it. That's really cool of the miner to offer the reward. Smart too since the poacher is likely to engage in other criminal activity in the area.

Is there currently an open season up there for any bull draw tags? I don't really hunt that area so haven't researched it. If there is a season maybe it is just a simple deal where a guy wasn't able to find the animal or thought he missed. I didn't see where it said if it was solidly shot or if it was hit bad. A bad shot means it could be miles from where it was originally shot.

Lujon article said the moose was shot early September.. The newsminer must be having a slow day to report 3 month old news... Wasn't there a period when hunters up in hatcher pass were finding dead moose left to rot well bear feed.

Wanton waste or poacher?

The hunter's story may be interesting... especially after reading the multiple posts about how critters survive quite well with all sorts of injuries. With the offering of gold "for information leading to the conviction of the person who shot and left a bull moose to rot" ... I'll assume the miners gold is quite safe.

Yeah, the poacher they'll never find... but the more important question is, where did that miner fella find the ounce of gold?
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Thanks. I missed that in my first pass. I sure don't like poachers but this could just as likely be a simple situation where something in the field went wrong. I haven't lost a game animal but I am not so prideful to think it could never happen. Look at Stid, tons of successful hunts to his credit and he honestly thought he missed a deer this year on Kodiak. Chance and circumstance lead to him recovering much of that deer but had fate turned it could just have likely gone down a different path.

Drive long enough you will wreck, play baseball you will have an error. Work hard to do right but at some point mistakes will be made. My old man caught a twig with his arrow shooting a cow and stuck it high. He tracked it for several days but finally lost the trail. He never saw the twig prior to the shot and there were wolf tracks on the trail before he lost it. That sure doesn't make him a poacher. He was sick over the situation but nothing else could be done beyond learning from it.

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    Yeah, the poacher they'll never find... but the more important question is, where did that miner fella find the ounce of gold?
    Yeah, and it is not fair that he has gold and I don't. I wish Obama was governor so he could take that greedy guys gold and give it to me.