Thread: Hunter's Ed Courses

Thumbs up Hunter's Ed Courses

I had a few 7th Grade girls come into my classroom yesterday morning and say, "you know a little bit about hunting, don't you Mr. B?" These kids were studying for their hunting safety course and were in need of a little assistance.

The reason for creating the thread is that I just could not believe how advanced (in a good way) hunting safety courses have become since I took it some 13 years ago. When I took it, you were expected to have learned this stuff from a father or grandfather. Now they have a small book covering everything from firearm safety to ethical sportsmen to bow hunting (was never mentioned when I took). While they (and some boys who were too embarrassed to come up with the girls) could not believe that I knew (most) of the answers off the top of my head, I could not believe the great course that had been put together for these young folks. I am not sure who put together the booklet, but they did a fine job. They even incorporate an outing in which the kids handle the firearms in the field with an instructor.

I found this encouraging and just thought Id pass it along.

Do you know where the book could be bought or what the name of it was, or is it only avaiable to someone taking the course in your area? I'm self tought myself and could always use a refresher. I can also think of a few youngsters that it could help out.
    Chris Willhoite

Default HE Info

I'm an HEI here in Kalifornia and we have an OK book.

If you are in Kal. you should have no trouble finding a book to review.

The face of Hunters Ed. has changed a LOT. I spend quite a bit of time discussing Hunter Education AND Hunting Education. HE competes with many things, including TV and this internet thing.

You can even study for your HE test on the internet nowdays.

Regards,
    Shortwave

Ride well, shoot straight and be a man of honor.

Default Hunter Education

To my knowledge, Alaska is the only state that does not require HE before one can get a hunting license. The book referred to is put out by the International Hunter Education Association which has an online course for home study. You can go to www.ihea.com to take the course. The course is mandatory in forty-nine states plus Canada and Mexico PLUS several european countries. Most states are also offering advanced courses in survival, map & compass, trapping, bow hunter education and black powder. The program is really worth while to help kids learn and continue the tradition of hunting and conservation. It's the best tool we have against the "anti's"
    Last edited by MEtracker; 03-29-2007 at 20:53. Reason: link doesn't work

take the course, and have your kids take the course! Its worth it.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Exclamation Online book - check it out!

I looked into getting the book that I spoke of earlier. The title is "TODAY'S HUNTER" and it is being used by some 20 states as their instuctional guide. I was able to find an online version. It is used by the state of Michigan, but I checked it against a couple of the other state's versions and they are all the same. You can navigate the book be the commands at the bottom of the page. There are chapter reviews and tests after each chapter and at the end if you want to test your knowledge or your kid's knowledge. Hope this helps!

The online book: http://www.hunter-ed.com/mi/course/o...arm_safety.htm

To call a state official and get a paper copy: http://www.hunter-ed.com/

Default Hunter ed material

Call or stop by your local ADF&G office for info on the hunter ed classes. Usually you can go by the office and pick up a class packet. It'll have the most current hunting regs, a "Hunt Alaska" booklet, a hunter ed class booklet and a work book.
    Here in Soldotna you can swing by the office any time to pick up one of these packets. Usually costs about $10 per packet...which also cover the cost of the class room & filed portions. There may or may not be a class scheduled, but they can put your name on a call list for the next class and they're pretty good at calling people when a class becomes available.
    Here's ADF&G's link for the hunter ed program http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=he.main