Thread: Purple Doc Spratley step by step

Default Purple Doc Spratley step by step

this fly was shown to us on the water and produced very well for us. this is just my variation of the fly. The original fly was intended for steelhead. enjoy.

http://youtu.be/X2IpuuKyFtU
    -Tight Lines & head shakin

900fusion, very cool video! My son and I just attended a fly tying seminar and needless to say we are both hooked. We tied some flies today while watching the football games. I must say the video makes it look easier than it really is, for me anyways, but I am sure with practice they will become easier! Thanks for the video!

No problem. One step that will help you out is don't over wrap your thread. If you have any questions feel free to ask
    -Tight Lines & head shakin

Great step by step vids.

Quote Originally Posted by 900fusion View Post
    No problem. One step that will help you out is don't over wrap your thread. If you have any questions feel free to ask

Another tip I learned when I was first starting is to throw some half hitches in your fly every now and then. It will prevent your thread from unraveling too much and letting material out if you fail to keep consistent tension (not that I've ever done that) or accidentally break your thread (okay, I may have done that.)

It doesn't solve the tension and breakage problems, but it saves some frustration along the way.
    "If our father had his say, nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him." -A River Runs Through It