Thread: School me on electric reels

Default School me on electric reels

The good ,bad,the best ones and ones to run from.
    Never used one .

I have used the Fish Winch, and the Diawa 500, the blue one. I bought the Diawa. Makes it a lot easier for the older people to fish halibut and I like it when I'm looking for new deep water spots for yellow eye. I forgot the power cord one time and it is very comfortable cranking by hand. I know a few people that have the Diawa and a couple that have the FishWinch. No problems with the Diawa yet but the FishWinch has had some corrosion when the coating has chipped . Thats all I know about them.

I had a guy bring two rods onboard, each equipped with Diawa electric reels (if I remember correctly, they were the orange ones). Each reel went through two batteries about 1/2-way through the day. For the money they guy said he paid for them, and the extra batteries, I wasn't impressed. They spent a lot of time cranking them manually.

They take all the work... I mean fun out of fishing!

Plug them into your electric downrigger plugs or clamp to the boat battery. Seems like it would be a mess but it sure makes fishing easier for the older or physical challenged.

Never fish for halibut deeper than 60ft of water! Had electric reels on my charter boat! I might be able to give you the lat and long of where I pitched them over the side

Default Lat & Long

Quote Originally Posted by MGH55 View Post
    Never fish for halibut deeper than 60ft of water! Had electric reels on my charter boat! I might be able to give you the lat and long of where I pitched them over the side

How about the Lat and Long of your 60ft halibut hole instead????

I have experience with Elec-tra-mates in the Gulf of Mexico on both charters and those owned by friends. They are totally bullet-proof and strong. When bolted to a Penn 114 6/0 high speed senator they will winch big fish up incredibly fast. They have a web site. I think the Model 612 is the one I've used. We use them mainly for amberjack and grouper. The only problem is if the fish is something that either has to or you want to throw back, they usually invert their stomachs because they get dragged up so fast and have to be vented, and I suspect some perish. Well actually, another drawback is they are really heavy.

Can't remember, but wasn't there some legislation a couple years back that limited the total weight of the rod and real for sport use?? Something like 15lbs.

I have one of the blue Diawa reels. It works great when you are deep, and I use it just to be lazy on bait checks since I am usually not watching my gear closely (baiting others hooks, untangling lines, etc.)

I plug it into my downrigger power and it works great. The auto stop in retrieve mode is nice so that you don't even have to pay attention when it is on it's way up. Just turn the lever and your weight stops about 3 meters down. The display in meters instead of feet is a bit annoying, but other than that I have no complaints.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

I've got a diawa mega twin and was also wondering if anyone had found any alternative power sources... instead of boat battery or diawa battery. Was wondering if a jump start battery would work, they are cheaper and a little more portable and not drain the boat batteries. thanks

Electric reels work great for pulling up chum bags.

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

get a Kackemack gear shed jiggin machine, I had electramates and saw a diawa in action. Seems to me the jiggers work great on taking the work out of hauling up fish.
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com