Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Munsey's Bear Camp is the place to go for your adventure

Default Munsey's Bear Camp is the place to go for your adventure

I hunted with Bob Munsey for Brown bear. I could of not asked for anything more. The Munsey family is kind, curtious, and the best people you ever meet. I took a beautiful dark coat Grizzley on a fall hunt. The weather was very nice, and the bear taken on 7th day ended up in the Boone & Crocket record book and Safari Club International. Hide and skull care was excellent. Meals were outstanding. A great time in my life and was so happy to of had the Munsey family to fill my life long dream of taking a Kodiak Brown bear. What a thrilling experience. The bear squared at 9ft 9" and later at 10' 1" in Michigan. I had to have a large addition added to my house where the bear still stands today. The Munsey's are outstanding guides and I hunt with them any time. P.S. Oh you won't go hungrey at the lodge or out in the field. Happy New years Mike and Robin and Bob my Guide.

WOW, a blatent plug, accompanied by NO pictures or story.
    How interesting.
    I am left wondering how the hide picked up 4 square inches in transit. Was it because the guys streching the hide in MI were bigger than the guys in AK or was it just magic???

I agree Gary that it's a blatant plug. In Munsey's defense, I have a couple buddies that guide for them, they are a good outfit.

What year was this hunt conducted in? Spring bears are smaller, Fall bears are a bit bigger and by winter when you made it back to MI, was the largest he was gonna get. Makes perfect sense...If you don't think about it!!!
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

MikeHunter,
    Question- How can a brown bear pelt, skinned-fleshed in Alaska and measured at 9'9", later grow four inches to now square 10"1" in Michigan.
    Note that the bear pelt had to be salted sometime within a few days after being killed. The bear pelt should be measured before being salted or immediately after being salted. Because a salted bear pelt normally shrinks up a full foot or more surprisingly fast! The pelt cannot be stretched out to its "original full size" until after being processed at a tannery, and soaked by the taxidermist just prior to mounting. While some pelts can be stretched out to meet the original squared measurements, many pelts will stretch out and be about three inches less than the original measurements after the tanning process and the soaking by the taxidermist.
    A very fine 9'9" bear later "growing" to hit the legendary 10'1" size....not in my observations.
    Check to see if your taxidermist price list jumps upward from 9'11"s-and-smaller to 10'-and-bigger!

I'm wondering how long ago this "trip" took place...Seeing as how the bear is now standing in the new addition to the home that was custom built for it.....
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Thewolfwatching

Well, can you blame a man to try and make it bigger than it’s or bigger than it seems? I think not, but, such things aren’t an unknown concept to those who actually mind their own business.. I think it must be a confidence matter or a… what would you call it? Glad they could stretch it out to satisfy their own agenda – whatever it may be.. for sure.. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    I'm wondering how long ago this "trip" took place...Seeing as how the bear is now standing in the new addition to the home that was custom built for it.....
    After watching "Mounted in Alaska", it can be finished in a one hour show.

OK, Back to the original post #1.......

MikeHunter,
    Munseys bear camp has been in business for many years and has always provided great service to client-hunters-fishermen-bear viewers. Their guides have a great reputation as being up there with the best of the best.Your initial post did read as though it was a simple "blatant plug" for that guide-outfitter, which really isn't all terrible. But some AOD forum readers would rather not read about about a guide-outfitter business, and would probably enjoy reading about the actual brown bear hunt.
    So I would like to invite you to write out a "hunt story" for us. All of us, well most of us... always enjoy a good bear hunting story.
    And a brown bear that squares 9 foot 9 inchs is a very fine bear. If it is a 10 footer that is even better.
    We all talk about those ten footers as if we all have one or two laying around somewhere. But in reality, few of us have personally shot a bear that large. Tell us about your bear and bear hunt. We always enjoy pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaTrueAdventure View Post
    OK, Back to the original post #1.......

So I would like to invite you to write out a "hunt story" for us. All of us, well most of us... always enjoy a good bear hunting story.
    And a brown bear that squares 9 foot 9 inchs is a very fine bear. If it is a 10 footer that is even better.
    We all talk about those ten footers as if we all have one or two laying around somewhere. But in reality, few of us have personally shot a bear that large. Tell us about your bear and bear hunt. We always enjoy pictures.

Yea..... I'm sure MH is dying to do post #3 and see what happens. Funny stuff!

I think that I remember reading ads for that place in the back of Outdoor Life when I was a kid in the 1980's.

Thewolfwatching

Umm think you and everyone else should quote the "SCI" factor.. **** it! did I say it?. ahh.. where's my tin foil hat? Perhaps I left it at your place hahaha! (Bad Joke) but darn funny!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    What year was this hunt conducted in? Spring bears are smaller, Fall bears are a bit bigger and by winter when you made it back to MI, was the largest he was gonna get. Makes perfect sense...If you don't think about it!!!

i appreciate your joining the forum and posting you experiences with Munsey's. i hope your posting wasn't just a reaction to the info i posted on another thread, ( residents shooting small bears on kodiak ) about the various "big name" kodiak outfitters and their overall kill percentages and percent of sows taken. i realize some outfitters numbers were not as good as others, but the info is what it is. i researched those harvest reports long and hard as research for booking my own hunt on kodiak. the info is out there, why would anyone not use it? that info was not an attempt to discredit any particular outfitter. i even put a disclaimer that i had no way of knowing all the factors that may have led to those numbers. but it is what each and every one of them has filed with the adfg over the last several years. and when i plan on dropping $20,000.00 on a hunt of a lifetime, you can bet i want all the info. i suggest anyone call all prospective outfitters and ask them in person why their harvest data reads a certain way. again, i'm glad you had a terrific hunt and got a great bear and i wish you and all the kodiak outfitters well.

thank you for your'e story. what a wonderfull hunt. why so many wnated to teardown your experience very sad indeed.
    connie.

well said caribou connie.Hide squaring is very subjective, with so many factors affecting it, I can easily see the discrepancy- even tho Dennis is correct about salting shrinking the hide. Maybe a blatant plug, but maybe a post by a hunter who had the hunt of a lifetime and wanted to publicly thank the Munseys.

The Munsey's have been in business since somewhere in the mid 50's I remember seeing their Outdoor Life ads as a young kid. Their reputation has always been stellar, and I am sure the OP was trying to let us know how he felt about these folks with several threads floating around regarding Kodiak Bears. I have often laid out a fresh hide on the ground without stretching or securing in either direction to get a ROUGH field measurement. When stretched and secured the measurements were then larger. Perhaps this is what has happened here ATA is correct that size is relative and salt will absolutely cause shrinkage, It is good to see ATA posting again, Good luck on your Low Sodium Diet Dennis, As Hippy stated it is obvious this was not a recent hunt however a story and pictures are always interesting even if they are not recent. ~Mist~

Thewolfwatching

What the hell do you care anyway?? never saw a bear hide stretched across your wall...
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post

It's called an observation, and a question.

Politely delivered no less.

As to "why the hell do I care anyway??"....Well, perhaps I don't.

Cheers.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

wheres the pictures of such a fine animal?
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Thewolfwatching

Hon, your support is great!! but... umm, lots of hunters dont post on this forum... It's not the end all. matter fact the hardcore could'nt even fathom such a thing. your soo positive it's wonderful - keep posting..
    Quote Originally Posted by caribouconnie1964 View Post
    thank you for your'e story. what a wonderfull hunt. why so many wnated to teardown your experience very sad indeed.
    connie.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast