Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 140 miles, 1/2 with no trail, in the fog, -38 below, 20 mile MPH winds, 5-1/2 hours..

Default 140 miles, 1/2 with no trail, in the fog, -38 below, 20 mile MPH winds, 5-1/2 hours..

140 miles, 1/2 with no trail, in the fog, -38 below, 20 mile MPH winds, 5-1/2 hours in the dark.....

Why??

TO HUNT!!!! Yaaaaaaaaaaaa, thats what its all about!!

140 miles, 1/2 with no trail, in the fog, -38 below, 20 mile MPH winds, 5-1/2 hours..Why??TO HUNT!!!! Yaaaaaaaaaaaa, thats what its all about!!OK,............we arrived last night, cold, frostbit and tired, riding to the Southern end of the Kotzebue sound, staying with th oldest son, his family and hunted Muskox with two other outragously mellow fellows..Woke up before dawn,(LOL!!) warmed the rides, ate breakfast, gassed up and hit the trail at Noon thirty (15 minutes before sun up), and had Ox in site within 20 minutes.....And so , with my Mosin M-39, I caught one today, very very Fat and so did my Friends, Brett (Beaver Hunter, note Beard and fetsh for a fullbush Beaver hat )and Vince. (You know this guy??!!?? Back of a milk carton...poster on the post Office wall??))First we hit tracks and looked ahead to the steam rising off so many animals a mile or so away, across a lagoon and meandering channles and islands. We caught them feeding and milling around , as they do at -30, (better than yesterdays -42) out along a river channel that had a high cliff along the end of it and sorta just rode/waltzed/snuck up to the rivers edge, 150 yards across. After a bit of frustration with our rfile (my firing pin, Vince's aiming apperatus), we sat, fixxed, and carried on. Vince had his choice and the first one was down when the rest had to broadside to us to leave(better target that way) rather than bunch up and stand ground, they didnt like the cliff behind, so they all turned and left lineing up,exiting stage left all a trotting, and I got a nice young bull, then Brett got his as well, but a real 'bulldog' of an OX ----"BEEFCAKE!"---- if I ever seen one ........ If they had been in the open, they would have formed a circle and stood, making it very dificult to shoot them for a quick death and not hit others. Their love of beach grass that grows along the banks and on the little islandsdoomed 3 of them and the other 12 left as fast as Ox trot.Ill get the rest of the pictures downloaded tomarrow, the wife will get one then. Im sure Illpicyure some blood and lots butchering /skinning pictures. The inter net here isnt much better than home, but well see, I have another day yet.
    Last edited by stid2677; 01-03-2012 at 05:25.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Good Job,,,thanks for the write up

Geeeeeeeeeee Frikkin Whizzzzzzzzzz.......

My post is Hung over from New Years.......can it bbe fixxed? Also, it was 12 other Ox, not 22, I just didnt catch that.

Very nice post and write up with pics!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for sharing the scary beaver fetish guy, and Vince too. (I'm checking my milk carton now)
    I'm Pro-Pike.

Very nice hunting, story and results. I find myself hunting in weather that most people would not venture out in as well. It either hunt or stay inside. Hunt it is.

Congrats Stranger,, What an Epic, hunt well done Sir!!

Fixed you post for ya.

Steve
    Last edited by stid2677; 01-03-2012 at 05:54.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

You are the MAN, thanks for sharing
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Very nice pics, waiting for more. Plus to see the others to be caught. Looks like really neat country out there!

Happy bloody new year to you. Second day of the year and you have already taken more game than most here will this year
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Wowwwww. Amazing way to start out the new year. Congrats guys!

Great post Chip and love the pic of all three laid out along the cliff like you described. Sounds like a nice cold hunt but free of other hunters which is always nice. Good seeing Vince out and about haven't seen that ugly mug in some time!

Yup. 22D closed in 1 day here. Heard they might have gone a weee bit over the limit as well with the rush of hunters. I'm a fair weather hunter apparently. This -30 crap isn't my cup of tea, especially when I have a freezer full.
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

Looks like fun..........any colder though,, a fella might want start wearing socks..

Good to see Vince getting in on the Oxecution......
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Stranger- your a better man than I! this long cold spell here on the west coast has been ridiculous. Good to see you out braving the elements and getting your freezer filled with some good table fare! Congrats!

Very well done for sure! I don't ever recall hunting at -38 below, eeek, have had a few around -20 and the hunt was not to bad but handling the meat was interesting to say the least! That is definelty not a hunt for old men and worn bones!
    Looks like you will be dining well for a spell!
    Happy New Year!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Cool, Im glad you liked it

We enjoyed ourselfs so much, the wife went and caught'er herself the Fattest Muskox so far, and I'll post pictures in another post , after we butcher.

Still -38, no wind an the wifes hints are to get to work NOW..........

Today we had the wifes Muskoxen in mind, as soon as the dawn did its thing.....we could seethem comming down the rigde, one bit at a time (Ox speed)We had the Ox in site from the oldest sons front room window .....an hours warm up for the machine, as its -38 below Degrees, thats quite a routiene. Soooooooooo we drove the two or o miles there, and parked on the hill crests reverse, so's The Muskox couldnt see us, and started our "stalk".....LOL!!!!Being Muskox, they do not scare easily, but once frighten, will pile up shoulder to shoulder and a clean, one animal catch is pretty hard then, and Muskox wont budge.Soooooooooooooowe left out whiteouts at the sons house and wore all black. Walking together, they assumed we were just another Ox.......and we got within 50 yards pretty easily before they were thinking twice and as the fringe ones were starting to be moving tward the middle, the wife took her shot.That set the Oxto tumbling, running ,falling,running and into the group She tore out its throat, but it made the 50 feet into the bunch, and the wife and I stood there while they formed up. Then we walked apart, each going away and they took us for Wolves (I guess LOL!!) and turned left and took off. By this time(about 1/2 a minute) the Bull having become tippy and stood there alone, his herd moving away at a trot. A second shot sealed the deal and a perfect Bull Muskox was soon at her feet, 400lbs of FAT Meat Our friend Brett brought my sled and rode Agnes to our ride and she brought it up as I arranged our gear and we gutted right there.Daylight is breif this timma year , and like yesterday, we brought the whole Ox to the Sons house an skinned inthe yard

The TROPHY !!
    !
    4 Ox in the yard.....by the pound or by the ton.....
    Now to ride home tomarrow......it'll warm up to -26 below, and that will be very nice compared to this last couple weeks

Wow, great picts.

Wow!! What a great storyline. They sure have a good store of fat on them. I bet those are excellent eating. Thanks for sharing the experience with us through your photos. Nice job!!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast