Thread: chrome lined barrel

Default chrome lined barrel

Does anyone have a source for chrome lined chamber and bore "hunting barrels"?

How about a chromer who does other makers barrels for special order?

I saw one in a West Virginia gun shop that was stamped "GOODE".

Never found another or even a supplier or source for any others.

Seems like everyone would want one.

Even if you don't know of any supplier or chromer just post a quick"yes" or "no" if you would buy one if available.

jedi

Default nobody?

I can't believe that nobody would want a hunting bolt gun with a chromed chamber and bore that is 10,000 times more weather restistent than stainless and lasts 2x longer for erosion and barrel life.

jedi

Default Been tried

Years ago the US miliyary tried the chrome lined bore on the very premise of wear resistance and increased barrel life. The problems were several. The first problem was evenness of coating, you can get some spots with heavier accumulations of chrome ( tight spots in the bore).The next was that under high heat, pressures and friction it cracked and flaked.
    The SKS and AK series of rifles have chromed bores to deter corrossion from corrosive primers and jungle conditions.
    As to my knowledge no rifle barrel manufacturer chromes benchrest rifle barrels. These shooters would welcome an answer to replaceing their barrels every year or so.
    With modern technology and under sporting conditions it might last a lifetime.The key to haveing one chromed would be ask the chrome shop,what is the thickness of the plating. You might have to start with a .311 bore to end up with a .308 chromed bore.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

Sako used the Bofor steel in their barrels for years. Than came along Garcia and their cost cutting and away went the Bofors steel. Bofors was the Swedish company that came up with the idea of chrome plating barrels. I have a little Sako Vixen in 222 remington Magnum with Bofors steel barrel.

Default easy cleanin and faster

I was just hoping for the benefits I see from my M14 and AR15 and AR10 to be available in a bolt action hunting rifle.

Higher velocity from same barrel lenghts with chrome.

Barrels that clean with as little as 3 patches vs. 10 to 15 patches with stainless or chromemoly.

Barrels that last 2x longer than non chromed with 2 inch groups being considered useless and in need of changing.

Chrome lined chambers and bores are just a pure win win situation.

Thats why you will hear a lot of hard core rifleman state as a matter of fact "GO CHROME OR GO HOME"

jedi

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

Browning has gone to chrome lining their WSSM's like the 223 and 243.

Default smart move

Thanks for the info Allen.

Hmmmm.....smart move......it will help with the extraction and feeding too since it is much slicker than any non coated stainless or chromemoly.

Another benefit of wonderful, awesome chrome!!!

jedi

The old JC Higgins (Sears and Robuck) Model 50s and I think Model 51s had chrome lined barrels. The actions were made by FN and the barrels were made by High Standard. They came in 30-06 and 270. 1950s rifles for a good price back then.

The FNUSA SPR, has a chrome lined barrel. But I have read a couple reports of those going bad much faster than they should have.

Check out these guys. They have an intersting spin on rifle bores.
    http://www.blackstar-barrels.com/body_faq.html
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com