Thread: Anyone else miss the drawing "deadline"?

Default Anyone else miss the drawing "deadline"?

Second year in a row.

Kinda think harvest tickets are all a guy needs. Everything else "subsistence".. drawings are for sissies.. hehehe

actually was at Girdwood and the snow was so good I just forgot.

never drew anything anyway.. good luck to those that put in..

But not all of the hunts are subsistence. There are some really good hunting opportunities out there for sheep, goats, moose and others. The draws are just a way of controlling the number of hunters going after those animals.

It takes me a few days of deciding which hunts are going to be worth the trouble, cost and logistics of pursuing. As a teacher I just can't take a week off and go. I have to plan carefully for time. So some hunts are put in for every year, others if I have enough personal time to take off. I can take a week this year if I need too, I have saved that much time. But each draw opportunity is weighed against the trouble, cost and logistics.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I put my kids in for some of the "easier" hunts like cow hunts in the valley. Then we put in for a some caribou tags that are close to home. Everybody gets put in for the March Farewell Bison tags.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    But not all of the hunts are subsistence. There are some really good hunting opportunities out there for sheep, goats, moose and others. The draws are just a way of controlling the number of hunters going after those animals.

It takes me a few days of deciding which hunts are going to be worth the trouble, cost and logistics of pursuing. As a teacher I just can't take a week off and go. I have to plan carefully for time. So some hunts are put in for every year, others if I have enough personal time to take off. I can take a week this year if I need too, I have saved that much time. But each draw opportunity is weighed against the trouble, cost and logistics.
    Dave, yea absolutely.. I didn't mean to lump drawings in with subsistence.. I fully intended to get it done, and had the hunts I wanted to put in for.. internet was down at the Alyeska hotel, and I kinda spaced it the last day.. skiing was too good.

The drawing system is a good system.. fair.. I just missed it again.

good luck..

How could you miss it You have 364 days to preapre for your donation
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    How could you miss it You have 364 days to preapre for your donation
    hehehe yea, I have my plans already.. so all the drawings I wanted to put in for were back up plans anyway.

In an unrelated event... my buddy saw a guy dragging a road kill moose behind his truck last night... mmmm yummy.. that embedded gravel really adds flavor!! He said he was doing about 30...

'Thank you' to all of those that did NOT get their permits in. That will increase my 'slim' chances of getting a tag. Have not gotten one for several years but that is OK as we still get a chance to get out in the woods with some gret friends.

Quote Originally Posted by anchorrivercrowds View Post
    hehehe yea, I have my plans already.. so all the drawings I wanted to put in for were back up plans anyway.

In an unrelated event... my buddy saw a guy dragging a road kill moose behind his truck last night... mmmm yummy.. that embedded gravel really adds flavor!! He said he was doing about 30...
    Admitt it! You partied away all your draw funds that weekend...... didn't you!
    Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Chinese proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JC in AK View Post
    Admitt it! You partied away all your draw funds that weekend...... didn't you!

hehehehhe I wish.. nope, just an idiot. I must have put 50 hours into this in September looking at options.. I had pretty much decided on harvest ticket hunts.. would have liked to get in a drawing for not cutting up horns, and the standard sheep hunts.. but was skiing everyday, and spending time with family. It's all good.

Don't think you missed a thing, well, beside all the anticipation and "What'd ya get?" threads in winter,
    which is all fun, if you got something,....

I was almost going to blow it off, after procrastinating until midnight on the last night,
    then, I'm trying to put that 50 hrs in, all before the next day, ended up at 5am or so,...
    Kinda had fun, getting all wound up about the probability stats, dream hunts, etc.

All said and done tho, there is so much available by registration across the state,
    my schedule is pretty full as it is. so why am I doing this ???

I think, If you missed it, for some good skiing, hanging with the family, you did alright,
    bet you'll have full freezers at falls end anyway
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

I did mine a few days in advance but forgot my wife's! I scrambled to get the info in before 5... (where is your hunting and drivers license honey?) Right up to the deadline, her reciept back via e-mail litterally reads 5:00PM Dec 31st, so we shall see! Kind of funny I think, I don't know if I could time it down to the wire like that again if I tried.

Mountaintrekker

I didn't miss the draw deadline due to skiing, but it's been freakin' awesome down here!

In an average year, I'll put more days in skiing (alpine + nordic) than hunting. Now if you combine hunting AND fishing it's another matter . . . No nutritional sustenance in snow, but helluva mental and physical boost.