Thread: Hand Pump?

Default Hand Pump?

I'm thinking of mounting an old hand pump on my counter top. Can you simply run pex from the bottom of the pump into a bottle of water? Anyone know of where to get parts for old Sears pumps? I found one from the 30's that was on a dairy farm in NY and may need new internal parts. Any help appreciated.il_fullxfull.198811178.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Boone View Post
    I'm thinking of mounting an old hand pump on my counter top. Can you simply run pex from the bottom of the pump into a bottle of water? Anyone know of where to get parts for old Sears pumps? I found one from the 30's that was on a dairy farm in NY and may need new internal parts. Any help appreciated.il_fullxfull.198811178.jpg
    EBAY, when I need something that's hard to find, Well, you can find just about anything including a "Jet Plane".
    JOHN

hmmmm
    It will work if the pump works just make sure the bottle is vented to let air in as the water is sucked out. Most of those old pither pumps are pretty inefficient. Sometimes it takes more water to prime them than what you are wanting to draw. Might be issues with a limited supply.
    The internals are pretty simple just a flapper valve and a leather or rubber ring to seal the cylinder. If its been sitting around for a long time both will probably need repalacing and if the cylinder is rough it will need to be honed smooth so that it will seal on the suction stroke.
    My advice put it on a shelf for an orniment and get a better pump with a brass cylinder (ebay) or marine supply store