Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger...New American Rifle?

Default Ruger...New American Rifle?

I got an email this morning about a new rifle Ruger is introducing. I started getting a little excited looking at the specs, that is until the picture downloaded.

If possible- its homelier than the Mossberg 4x4 and the worst Savage has yet to produce and I'm sure they'll sell a million of them.

I've always regarded Ruger as a great "budget" rifle already...not a bad rifle but certainly not fit and finished like a Winchester or Remington and never intended to.

But wow. I think Bill is rolling over in his grave as we speak....

Yeah I saw that one yesterday. It looks an awful lot like that cheaper T/C Venture. I wish Ruger would quit bringing out so many new "budget" guns and put some effort into actually making some of their older models for once. You virtually can't find a new Redhawk right now unless someone happens to have one on the shelf.

Brings up the question: Is the Model 77 and other rifles by Winchester, Remington, Savage etc not 100% American made?

I guess Ruger had to compete with Remington on the low end guns- Ruger will price the rifle to compete on price since the features are about the same.

On the positive side - these less expensive rifles will bring out new shooters and hunters - kinda like the cheap surplus guns did decades ago. More hunters and shooter are great for all of us.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Can you post a picture of said firearm? Is it available in 30-30? Smitty needs a cheap rifle setup to use on a brown bear this year....

6901.jpg

Let's see if this works....please don't vomit on your computer.

Yup, I vomited on my computer.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Can you post a picture of said firearm? Is it available in 30-30? Smitty needs a cheap rifle setup to use on a brown bear this year....
    .270, .30-06, .243, .308 only, sorry. though it appears they do actually have two action lengths and not a short box on a long action like other makers are doing.

Yep named well cheap plastic ugly the average new american
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Nice. Everything I don't want in a rifle. Looks like a TC Icon....ouch.

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    not a bad rifle but certainly not fit and finished like a Winchester or Remington and never intended to.

But wow. I think Bill is rolling over in his grave as we speak....
    From the picture and the specs I'm not running to the store to buy one. However, they did an interesting bedding system that appears to wedge the action and provides a free floating barrel. They also have an adjustable trigger, improved recoil pad and included bases and a cheek pad that can be added by the purchaser if desired.

For less than $450.00 MSRP and most likely about $375.00 at your favorite gun store it's half the price of a plastic stock SPS with a break-O-matic brazed bolt handle and riveted ejector. The plastic Remington stocks are a poor fit and rub the finish off the barrel.

Remington copied Ruger's Tactical .308 last year by adding a threaded end cap, pillar bedded rubber over stock, 20" 1:10 twist barrel to their model line up.

I like Ruger's buy American scheme. I would by it over a Chinese import buy any other name if I was in the less than $450.00 market. Give it a chance before the bashing begins.

The new SR22 also announced this week should do well in the fast growing market.

http://ruger.com/products/sr22Pistol/models.html

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    Give it a chance before the bashing begins.
    Too late.

Too ugly. IMHO they should have tried a "Classic American" motif, not "New American". While I tend to be a form follows function guy, at some point I have difficulty getting past "butt ugly". Sorry.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

Ick. The value of wood and blue just went up.

Makes you wonder if they vet these ideas outside the teenagers staffing their design department. Maybe I' just getting old.
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Too late.

Too ugly. IMHO they should have tried a "Classic American" motif, not "New American". While I tend to be a form follows function guy, at some point I have difficulty getting past "butt ugly". Sorry.
    I agree, the plastic stock is ugly but so are the other cheap rifles on the market. I also question the bolt on this thing but I will wait until I get to touch one before I can say.

Ruger's I've purchased in the past few years have been about 30 percent less than published MSRP. If that holds true with this new design it will be about $325.00 with bases.

The bedding, trigger and hammer forged barrel are nice adds for an entry level rifle. Ruger put a 22" barrel on this one, that's plenty of pipe for the cartridges they chambered for it.

They're going against the Howa, Vanguard crowd with this one. At 6.1 lbs in a .308 it's 1 pound lighter and $200.00 cheaper.

Classic motif? Guys in that market don't want a cheap classic copy do they. I mean if they have a classic already they won't run out and buy a cheap copy. They might buy a cheap first rifle for their kid in the 6 pound range. One that won't break the bank if they drop it or get it rain soaked.

OOOh, look, its got an "accu trigger". AAARRRGGHH.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

I agree, the plastic stock is ugly but so are the other cheap rifles on the market. I also question the bolt on this thing but I will wait until I get to touch one before I can say.

Ruger's I've purchased in the past few years have been about 30 percent less than published MSRP. If that holds true with this new design it will be about $325.00 with bases.

The bedding, trigger and hammer forged barrel are nice adds for an entry level rifle. Ruger put a 22" barrel on this one, that's plenty of pipe for the cartridges they chambered for it.

They're going against the Howa, Vanguard crowd with this one. At 6.1 lbs in a .308 it's 1 pound lighter and $200.00 cheaper.

Classic motif? Guys in that market don't want a cheap classic copy do they. I mean if they have a classic already they won't run out and buy a cheap copy. They might buy a cheap first rifle for their kid in the 6 pound range. One that won't break the bank if they drop it or get it rain soaked.
    Good arguments all. And this thing might be a the ultimate tack driver too. But I wouldn't buy it even if just because of the stupid honey comb trigger! I guess maybe I'm not as much a form follows function guy as I used to be.
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Good arguments all. And this thing might be a the ultimate tack driver too. But I wouldn't buy it even if just because of the stupid honey comb trigger! I guess maybe I'm not as much a form follows function guy as I used to be.
    Don't get me wrong, I don't care for the looks either, just saying it's a concept that might fly. For the dollar it may be a better rifle than the heavier more expensive imports.

I have a friend that shoots my rifles a lot. I enjoy seeing new people shoot and hit what they're aiming at. I actually got him to put in for an Elk tag last week, sure hoping he gets one. I would do my best to put him on something worth shooting.

I also wish he could scrape up a few bucks and buy his own rifle. I may steer him down this road and put a Red Field atop and see what it can do. Rifle and mounted optics for less than $500.00 made in the USA and chambered in 30-06, should be OK for a first rifle.

I guess I'm leery about any of the budget rifles despite many good arguments for having such available. I'm, admittedly, something of a gun snob but most of the "sub $500 package" rifles that I've had occasion to fire were all something of a dissapointment.

I guess I'm surprised that Ruger has decided to compete in that market at all... of course since Bill Ruger's death the company is producing a number of new products for them and probably doing OK- of course many of the new things are largely made of plastic.

That is the downfall of something like gunmaking....how do you keep up sales when you produce a product that should last generations?

They're going against the Howa, Vanguard crowd with this one. At 6.1 lbs in a .308 it's 1 pound lighter and $200.00 cheaper
    Good point- I recently bought a Vanguard in .257Wby- I'm surprised. It's really a pretty nice rifle for its price point but it's not hard on the eyes like this thing is.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Man, I gots 3, 30-30s already, and one is a SS. BUT, one in a BA is appealing.

I'd like to have one of those Rem. 788s, that they chambered in 30-30

I seriously doubt if we see any NEW BA 30-30s any time soon.

They're obsoleteR, as I am.

For the bears, I'll stick with my LAs.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast