Thread: Savage 375 Ruger, 5 models for 2012

Default Savage 375 Ruger, 5 models for 2012

First things first... Congrats to Stid2677 for being Voted Member of the Year 2011!

-Subject Change-

So I know this isn't "new" news but I saw the new Savage 375 Rugers on the Savage site and I think the model 19665 is looking pretty good. 20 inch barrel (listed as both 18 -and- 20 on their site???) , 3 rounds, stainless steel, accutrigger, 7.6 lbs. Too bad it doesn't have an accustock.

Savage has the 116 Alaskan Brush Hunter 19665 MSRP at $688. http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/m...KANBRUSHHUNTER. WWW.davidsonsinc.com lists it for $576.91. WWW.budsgunshop.com has it listed for $549.00.

-Other new Savage 375's are...

*24 inch SS 375 Ruger, model 16/116 FCSS 19638, with accustock, listed for $801.00. Thegunsource.com lists this for $669.99. No weight listed.

*23 inch SS Bear Hunter 16/116 with accustock, MSRP of $966.00. The ammo capacity is listed as "0"??? Didn't see it listed when I surfed the web but then again, I didn't look for long. 7.75 lbs with adjustable muzzle break.

*23 inch carbon steel, model 11/111 FCNS 19637, with accustock, MSRP of $696.00. No weight listed.

*24 inch SS, model 16/116 Trophy Hunter XP 19737, no accustock, has a Nikon 3-9 scope package for MSRP of $795.00. 8.25 lbs.

None of these are out to stocking dealers yet.

Can you tell that I've been looking at the 375's, LOL!
    Thinking...thinking...thinking...

MyTime

Big Thank You Sir!!

Don't know if one is in your price range. But I could not be happier with my Sako Kodiak 375 H&H. Holds 4 in the mag and one in the chamber, that is a lot of bear medicine. An action that is smooth as glass, and incredibly accurate, I made 2 shots in the 300 yard range on Sitka deer using 300 grain TSXs. All this in a very short and easy to carry package.

Happy New Year and good luck looking for a new shooting iron, all this gun talk is making me want a new one to play with!!!

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"

Steve,

You have one nice looking rifle. The Sako Kodiak 85 has very good reviews but is a bit over my price range at $1700.00. I already have several other rifles so it's not like I actually need another one, I just want one and I don't have a 375. At 600-700 bucks, I just might make an excuse why I "need" another rifle. Here in TN (Ft Campbell area) there's nothing large enough that warrants a 375. When I saw that Savage had them listed on their web site I thought that there would be a few other folks that might like to take a look.

Another thing...you are most certainly welcome!

MyTime

I am glad other manufacturers are taking up the caliber. That way the brass and factory ammo will stay available for a while longer. I really like the caliber, it is handy to have a shorter action, the case is easy to reload and there are a ton of bullet selections.

Looks OK but I prefer the 338 they show
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

MyTime,

I believe the 375 Savage's hold 2 in the mag and one in the pipe as with the 325wsm and 338wm versions. I love my 338wm Savage 116 FSAK but I am going to pass on the new brush hunter. I like the CRF in the Ruger Alaskan and you can get a 23in laminate stocked one too. I was dead set on getting a 375 Ruger until the 416 Ruger caught my eye. I'm gonna go big as I already have a 338wm and the recoil isn't going to be an issue with the 416 (I like the abuse).

Good luck and have fun!

John
    Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Chinese proverb

How much velocity is going to be lost because of that 18" barrel with the new .375 Ruger Savage Model 116 Brush Gun?
    Lots, I would think.
    Probably lots of muzzle blast & noise too.
    The lack of an accustock is no big deal for a short range bear charge response gun but is not a selling point in favor of the gun either.
    Did anyone chronograph any of the various brands of factory ammo or hand loads in the Brush Guns?
    I don't see a lot of comprehensive range reports and reviews around on the internet gun forums yet.
    I'm going to wait til the trial is over & the verdict is out before flopping the plastic on the counter.
    Always cheaper to learn from the mistakes of others.

Quote Originally Posted by Daved View Post
    I am glad other manufacturers are taking up the caliber. That way the brass and factory ammo will stay available for a while longer. I really like the caliber, it is handy to have a shorter action, the case is easy to reload and there are a ton of bullet selections.
    It might be all a big rave now but 5 years down the road it might be different.
    I bought a 700 in .416 Remington when it was the "be all and end all".
    Along with the gun I bought 200 brass.
    Glad I did.
    Now you have to buy a $150 box of factory loads to get 20 brass.
    Bought a Savage model 116 Alaskan Brush Hunter in .375 Ruger this summer.
    Bought 200 brass along with it..........just in case (pun intended).

"Always cheaper to learn from the mistakes of others."

I've been looking at the Brush Hunter as well. I'm curious as to how it shoots, and how many rounds does the blind magazine hold?

Thanks!