Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 325 Wsm

Default 325 Wsm

I have done a search for this allready and perhaps I missed something but I wanted to get opinions on the new 325 WSM. The article I read listed it as a weapon for large and dangerous game. Thoughts?

Thumbs down 325 Wsm

Its going to be hard to replace the 338 Win Mag............
    Alaska

It would probably work fine except it does not handle the heavier bullets the way the 338 will. I believe it stops at around 220 grains while the 338 just starts to shine with the 225. Jim

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

And what can you do with a 225 grain bullet that you can't do with a 220 grain bullet?

you could always buy a real 8mm.... i.e. the 8mm rem mag.

Jake, you starting trouble?????

Thumbs up 325 Wsm

I have Kimber 8400 Montana in 325 WSM and would have no problem using it for anything Alaska has to offer. The 325 is really a .323 cal or 8mm. It is considered a small bore cartridge and because of that some would not consider it for large bears. Shot placement is the key to taking any big game animal however. Here's a link that I think you will be interested in if you are considering buying a rifle in this caliber.
    http://www.chuckhawks.com/325wsm.htm

I have a 325WSM in a Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker and have not shot it all that much.I have put around 60 rounds through it,and so far it is a very accurate,pleasent shooting gun.The recoil (too ME) is less than a 300 win mag.i did put a LImbsaver recoil Pad on mine however.I have loaded up some of the Sierra 220gr and 175gr Gamekings to see how they will shoot.

So far,I am very pleased with the rifle.It shoots well,very light to carry,and has a little more knock-down power the 30 cals,but not the terrible recoil of the 338's.

Hope this helps-Tim

The .325 WSM, my favorite whipping boy. Other than the desire for another short action "magnum", I fail to see any real usefulness for this one. The 30 cal has a superior BC in the 200-220 grain weights and will push a bullet nearly as fast. IMO even the 338 has no significant advantage until
    250 grain, and heavier, bullets are used. I love the Kimber rifles, having one in .300 WSM, but if I were wanting a Kimber with meaningful increase in power, it would be the .338. Here's a thought; how about the .358 STA? I think Layne Simpson, the cartridge's creator, said "more energy than the .375 and the trajectory of the .300 mag."

Default I disagree...........

I believe it does fill a "void",if you will,between the 300's and the 338.When 300's are loaded with 200 or 220 grain they kick like a mule,just like the 338.The 325 has more knockdown power than the 300's and much less recoil then the 338's,all in a shorter,lighter rifle.My A-Bolt weighs 6.5 lbs,Talley's weigh 3 or 4 oz's,and scope weighs 8 ozs.You could not tolerate the recoil in a 300 Win Mag,WBY Mag or Ultra Mag that light (nor a 338 for that matter).

Dont want to turn this into a Ford vs Chevy argument,everyone is entitled to their own opinion.Mine is based on the fact that when I went out with any of my 300's (Win Mag,WBY Mag or WSM),I felt a little undergunned,nothing more-nothing less.

Just my 2 cents.......................

I have a Kimber MT 325wsm. I wanted a light weight all weather rifle with more snoot than my 06. Didn't want a 26 inch barrel or the kick of a 338. 300win mag aint THAT much better than an 06 but the 325wsm is. With 2.5-8x36 leupold it weighs 7lbs with a handy 23inch barrel. With a good 200gr or 220gr bullet it will kill anything in Alaska out to and beyond 3-400yds if need be. I killed a sheep and moose at those yardages last fall with a 200gr accubond. A 200gr 8mm bullet at 2900fps will kill a lot of critters anywhere. I did NOT buy it to hunt big brown bear. But I would not hesitate to shoot an interior griz at a sane range. Heck, with a 220gr A-frame at 2700fps it would probably do a job on a brownie at a sane range, but....if I were going to hunt them I'd look at a 375 or bigger.

To me it's a perfect all around hunting rifle, just what I was looking for. Light, accurate and packs plenty of wallop. I can load 150 up to 220gr bullets and don't have to pack around a 10lb rifle with a 26inch barrel. For me I don't see any great advantage to having a 338 over a 325wsm. Maybe if I wanted to shoot 250gr but if I can't kill game with a 200 or 220gr 8mm bullet at 2700-2900 fps I might as well stay home. Nothing wrong with a 325wsm.

Have any of you 325WSM guys heard whether or not anybody was gonna make Factory rounds for the 325WSM this year. I know Win made the 3 rounds on initial deployment of the 325WSM but I haven't done any checking up to see if Federal was gonna launch some new loads this year or not. I had one of the Win M70 Ult Shadows in 325 WSM and sold it cuz of the few factory loads available at that time.

Unfortunately I heard Federal is now NOT releasing 325 ammo this year. Doesn't really bother me that much though. I finally got setup to reload so I'm good to go.

These guys have loaded 325wsm ammo for sale. 150-220's 325 wsm ammo

Default Lawsuit

Has anyone heard about a lawsuit pertaining to the WSM. One of the salesmen at one of the local sports shops said that WSM will be hard to come by shortly? Can anyone clue me in to this?

Default No Ammo until 2008

I have heard that federal will not producing factory ammo until 2008.Thay waited so they could get the 338 Federal off the ground and into the stores.I like Snyd,reload so it doesnt bother me at all.

I will start saving for the Kimber MT 325WSM probably going to try out the Leupold VX-L 3.5-10x50 on it(anyone used it?). I will just buy 100 rounds and save for a RCBS kit while burning them up. I think this seems to be a good option a little bigger than the 300 with comparable range in a short action. Should be able to use it on anything from caribou to sheep to the little Griz (if the range was right of course) Can other WSM brass be converted to 325 or is it a specific case? Thanks for the helpful responses the only reason I don't go for the 338 is the lack of smaller bullets and I will buy a 375 or 416 before I venture out against the big bears.
    -Jon

Thumbs up 325 Wsm

I will have to agree with many of the comments above. The recoil seems much less on my Win 325 WSM compared to my .300WIN mag. It is a real joy to shoot and very accurate with 200 gr. Barnes TSX. I don't reload but I paid a professional to work up a load and reload for me and its actually really reasonable. It costs $30/20 round if you have brass, $38 if you need new brass. Plus you get premium bullets.......Factory ammo cost more than that!
    I am very happy with my gun and it performance, even if ammo is not readily available.

Do you get those bullets loaded in anchorage? If so could you post or PM me contact info? We used to use Gary's bullets back in the mid 90's don't know if he is still around but he would print us out the load data with a recomended 0 to optimize the trajectory. I will say that he had my old 7mm shooting like a lazer to 300+ it was point and click with 160 grain barnes x.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I will start saving for the Kimber MT 325WSM probably going to try out the Leupold VX-L 3.5-10x50 on it(anyone used it?)..... Can other WSM brass be converted to 325 or is it a specific case? .....
    This guy has that scope on his Kimber 325
    kimber on elk

The 325wsm is a necked up 300wsm. No other difference.

Default My .325...

I love reading al your "data" concerning the 325 WSM. Like many of you, I felt "under-gunned" going afield with my 7mm Mag. It has been a wonderful cartridge, but in Alaska, a bit light. I have the Kimber 8400 with a Zeiss Conquest 4.5x24x44 on Talley rings. It seems to fill the void between the 300's and 338. I enjoy shooting 338s, but they seem ballistically challenged. I like long, flat shooters, most of my kill shots have been around 300-400 yds. Although I have yet to shoot mine, I look forward to doing so. On a side note, recoil. Just how "bad" are the 325s? I have considered a muzzle break, any of you have one on? If yes, what difference did it make???
    Respect what you do not own but are privleged to enjoy, Mother Earth thanks you...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast