Thread: Halibut Shore Fishing- Juneau area??

Default Halibut Shore Fishing- Juneau area??

I am going to be visiting Juneau in July to welcome the birth of our 3rd grandkid. Exact dates are not yet known, but will be there about two weeks. I have heard that there may be possibilites for shorefishing halibut. Two questions?

1) What would be some locations we could try halibut fishing from shore?
    2) I have a Schimano 4000 reel on a stout rod. With 40-50 lb test line, would this be adequate? Or what would you recommend for tackle?

I doubt you'll catch big ones close to shore. 20-30 pound line should be plenty. I would not use braid where you'll be retrieving line along the bottom.

Locations:

1. Off Crow Point. That's the big long sandy beach out by the Boy Scout Camp. About a 45 minute hike on a well developed trail. You can cast into 40-50 feet deep water. I've caught a few off the beach here casting for dollies and coho's.

2. False Outer Point. I've picked chickens while trolling with the downrigger in 25-30 feet easily within casting range of the rocks.

3. North Douglas. Trail from the very end of the hwy takes you out to the some beaches. Pretty much a low tide show. Moderate hike.

4. Thane/Dupont. Pretty much anywhere from Little Sheep Creek to the Dupont beach. 45 minutes to Dupont. Tricky getting down the to beach off the trail which is 50-100 (elev) above the beach. Traverse the beach at low to mid-tide only.

5. DIPAC. Try from the fisherman's dock. Chums will be in thick. Probably some big butts hanging around. Never seen any fish for them, but 1/2 a salmon head on a circle hook might just work. Here's a place I'd want heavier line as 100-200# fish could be a possibility. A real easy spot top fish, but it will be combat fishing.

I have landed a 40 lb halibut off the rocks that are in the middle of Sunshine Cove before. I was just chucking a pixie or kastmaster for kings. Jeeze that was over 20 years ago.

Sobie2

Definately a good spot to try. Only place I've ever caught kelp greenlings from shore was on the outer rocks (facing the Chilkats) at this location.

Thanks for the great advice. As I'm new to halibut fishing, any suggestions for lures, colors, how much weight, bait, techniques to try? Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by L. G. View Post
    Definately a good spot to try. Only place I've ever caught kelp greenlings from shore was on the outer rocks (facing the Chilkats) at this location.
    Caught a kelp greenling from the beach across from Auke Bay on the NOAA station side....My first year here I tried pretty hard to catch a halibut off the Auke Bay float system....caught a huge scuplin, a halibut skate and a bunch of other trash fish, but no halibut....

I have also tried out the road on the rocks south of Sunshine...I've heard of people trying out there. I don't like it, the fish you hook run right into the rocks...

herring is what just about every body uses. dad used to use squid and octopus with better results most days
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

I have caught many small (<20#) halibut in shallow water using swim baits or plain lead heads with white Kalin scampi tails. The few times I have tried fishing bait (herring, squid) in shallow water I caught only sculpins, pollock, and a few other odds and ends, but no halibut. The reels I have that are similar to yours are filled with 30# spectra with a 50 yd topshot of 20# mono. The liklihood of hooking something big enough to spool you will be very small; there may be a few 100# or bigger halibut around, but not many, and most likely they will be in deeper water. I also like throwing Deadly Dicks for kings and cohos, which may be around then. I have no idea what to use for chums, but some of the other folks on this site do.

Big_E

Big_E