Thread: New traps

Default New traps

Just Getting in to trapping was wondering is there anything I should do with new traps I just bout would think there is a sent on them I need to get rid of

WHat I always did was to boil them to get the factory/ shipping oil off and let them rust up a little, a day or two should work, then get some logwood dye- follow the directions. after that wax them with some trap wax. Next to make sure about smell, put some local vegitation with the traps in a container- cut some black spruce boughs or whatever is around local to the area. Always wear rubber gloves when you're handling them. If you use scent lures that should cover most remaining smell, if any is left.

I boil everything in logwood dye, I also just toss my wax in the top of the pot. When I pull my traps out they are coated.

I also run my traps in my dish washer before I use log wood dye on them, no soap just hot water. It gets rid of the oil on them. Run an empty load in your washer after your traps before you do dishes again

Thanks guys I will give that a try would you put sent lure on foot holds then

Go by Alaska Range Trapping in the valley and buy the book by Dean Wilson. It tells you everything you need to know to get started, and then some. I love it.

If you have an automatic dishwasher and you can keep your wife/mom distracted for an hour or so, just put them in there for a cycle or two in order to remove the factory grease. I always turn off the automatic dry function so the springs don't get over-heated.

Supporting Member

If you are new to trapping, consider joining one of the local trapping associations. A wealth of knowledge can be gained by talking to experienced trappers and you might even get some personal instruction. If you need some contacts, give me a call (907-232-5531) and I will point you in the right direction.

DO NOT PUT SCENT ON THE TRAPS! if you do the animals will roll on um or dig or something and then you have a trap shy critter.

I smoke mine. and then put them in a bucket with what ever I will be trapping in, such as if I'm trapping in a swamp I put them in moss, if I'm trappin in the woods I add a couple spruce boughs. so on and so forth.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Hopfully I will be able to try it out was suppose to have a month or so off and just my luck I got to go back to work but it will give me time to do some reading.