Thread: Talkeetna Kings

Default Talkeetna Kings

I know the majority of you guys don't fish around Talkeetna but does anyone know when the fish usually start showing up in birch, montana, etc? Also is there anywhere around that area where if you walked a little ways you could avoid some of the numbers? Any help would be great.

Matt

Default Timing

Usually no earlier than the first week of June through closing around the 1st week of July. I like the 3rd and 4th week the best, when I dare brave the crowds. You will not typicaly find a quiet area away from the rest as these rivers are heavily fished and most have closed sections as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Kings View Post
    Usually no earlier than the first week of June through closing around the 1st week of July. I like the 3rd and 4th week the best, when I dare brave the crowds. You will not typicaly find a quiet area away from the rest as these rivers are heavily fished and most have closed sections as well.
    Agreed with one caveat you can get away from the groups if your willing to work at it and study a map.

Quote Originally Posted by Armo_Ak View Post
    I know the majority of you guys don't fish around Talkeetna but does anyone know when the fish usually start showing up in birch, montana, etc? Also is there anywhere around that area where if you walked a little ways you could avoid some of the numbers? Any help would be great.

Matt
    I do fish the area. I catch kings in certain locations in Late May, depends on water levels, every year is a little different. There are places to fish without folks around and you may not have to walk at all to avoid the numbers.

Once again, as recent as this last year during the peak of the run (June) I fished right at the sheep creek bridge that crosses the parks highway. From 0700-1100 on a saturday morning I had the entire creek to myself...NO ONE AROUND...not even another car. The kings were chalked up in the creek head to tail and I caught and released 12 kings. This unit is a weekend fishery by that time and I still am amazed only being about 100 miles north of Los Anchorage that more folks do not fish the valley (maybe they all stay at Little SU ) (maybe they are down souht at the confluenece complaining about 2 many people or how only they know how to fish with the bears and everyone else is direspectful to the bears except them?)

If you want detailed examples of how I fish and where (without crowds) you don't need to listen to this Jedi, Just pick up a highway angler....

TSS
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Default Picture

Thought I would add a picture: NO ONE AROUND MAT-SU Valley SHEEP CREEK Parks Hwy Bridge JUNE 2006.

TSS
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

I catch a lot in july
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.