Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Felt Soles?

Default Felt Soles?

It just hit me..........Doesn't the ban on Felt soled waders go into effect this year?

Yes Yes it does GRRRRR

Mt boots are only 2 years old but they weren't real expensive ones , but I did install studs so that raised my cost quite a bit . I've been looking at the korker brand with the interchangeable soles . There pricey but it would be nice to go from stud back to a vibram for leaving boots on and getting in the car or going to a tackle shop . Here is a link http://www.korkers.com/footwear/fishing/metalhead.html
    chugbugs are for big bass -topwater!

Sportamans has them for under 100 bucks in stock and yes this still bites! No Pun Intended. I understand the reason however for those of us who live here, wade here etc.... the likely-hood o fmy transporting rock snot is zero. Oh not to mention it does not cover all user groups. GRRRRRRR.

I agree BlueMoose & just spent the annual Christmas SW card on some new Caddis boots with studs. Nice feeling shoes though...
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

On March 1st (start of our trout season) we (Missourians) will be limited to nonfelt soles on our boots / waders also. As of right now, we do not have a problem with Didymo (rock snot), but it has been noted in northern Arkansas. Don't want to take a chance- that stuff is nasty to say the least

Has anyone tried out the new korkers with the change on the run soles ? would be nice to hear some positive info before buying ,

Quote Originally Posted by chugbug View Post
    Has anyone tried out the new korkers with the change on the run soles ? would be nice to hear some positive info before buying ,
    Yes and they are awesome, the speed laces are even better. No more wet laces and soooo easy to put on and off. Best wader shoes I have tried so far.

Steve

Has nothing to do with my Korkers, other than I was wearing them in this pic, just love the colors.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMoose View Post
    Sportamans has them for under 100 bucks in stock and yes this still bites! No Pun Intended. I understand the reason however for those of us who live here, wade here etc.... the likely-hood o fmy transporting rock snot is zero. Oh not to mention it does not cover all user groups. GRRRRRRR.
    Sportsmans has the KORKER with studs for under $110.00?

Glad to hear someone out there likes them. I received a pair of metalheads for Christmas and they seem pretty well made. They came with two soles: rubber and rubber with studs. The speed lacing should be a great idea. Now I have to go test them out!

I noticed on their website that they have a set of "svelt" soles that look like they are a synthetic version of felt. Anyone have any experience with these? Might they be easier to clean and less likely to hold water than felt while still giving reasonable traction?

Quote Originally Posted by chugbug View Post
    My wife has been using hers for two years. Seem to work fine, but the rubber is cracking and breaking away on the toes of both boots now- not on the soles.

Korker sezz they've never seen such a thing, but the good news is they asked her to send them back for replacement. Could have been a bad batch of rubber on that run of boots, but at least they're good for it.

Alaskachuck and his wife both have them and love them.
    Chuck has had his a couple of years now I believe.
    Myself, I have Simms Guide Boots and they are great boots.
    Mine are the older version with the studs in from the factory and are about 6 years old and still going strong.

Thanks for the info ,I will be taking a pair to alaska with me this year , just wanted to make sure they were as good as they sound , I was thinking the metalhead model also .

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    Mine are the older version with the studs in from the factory and are about 6 years old and still going strong.
    We have had ours 2 years now...I have serious time on mine and love em..Easy on and off and the rubber soles dont faze me at all on the kenai
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

I just bought a pair of the metal heads. I haven't worn them yet, but just putting them on (with my waders) they felt better then any thing I have worn yet. And yes they do come with a pair with studs in them. That part though I am not sure about………..they are pretty small, at least you wont have to worry about tearing up your rafts.

[QUOTE=stid2677;1061901]Yes and they are awesome, the speed laces are even better. No more wet laces and soooo easy to put on and off. Best wader shoes I have tried so far.

Steve

Has nothing to do with my Korkers, other than I was wearing them in this pic, just love the colors.

Ditto on the Korkers speed laces. I bought the Korkers for my float in 2010 and when everyone else was having frozen lace problems I kept rubbing it in how well the Korkers worked.

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    I have simms guide boots with the rubber soles and not only do they provide little traction, but one of the soles delaminated after about 6 months. They sent me a new pair, I installed star cleats to increase traction and that doesn't work either. I haven't used them since....I suppose I will next trip to Alaska (or Missouri).

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Fly Guy View Post
    Sportsmans has the KORKER with studs for under $110.00?

I called Sportsmans Warehouse and they are slightly over $100 bucks. Like way over. The metalheads are $179.99!
    Bluemoose- Did you find some at $100. somewhere else by chance? That would be a good deal.

Little different model for just over 100 just under bucks the metal heads are more money. I was just working with a friend of mine on CO selecting a Korker boot for 119.00. Heck I was thinking of just putting on plastic bags. Sorry I am absolutely no help.

Since I wear boot footed waders, I recently bought a pair of the cleated Korker strap on soles. (Cabela's - around $100)
    Excellent traction on some Lake Erie steelhead streams. The straps worked better than I thought they would for holding them tight on the boots. A very positive hook up. As someone else stated, I don't think I want to wear them on a raft.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast