Thread: Stevens/Savage Model 73

Default Stevens/Savage Model 73

Trying to cleanup an old model 73 for a friend. This little .22 was her late husbands and has sentimental value. Pretty beat up but its time to get her son into shooting. Upon cleaning it up I noticed that the firing pin (in the center???) is ALWAYS poking out of the face of the bolt. Whether cocked or not it is always poking out.
    The firing pin has good pressure and springs back fine when pressure is applied. I would think that there should be some mechanism that would lock the pin back until the hammer falls. Any one have experience or knowledge of this action?

Most likely the firing pin is broken and just the tip is protruding from the breech block. That would explain the rear portion moving back and forth with the spring, but the front part staying put. It should be one piece.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Thanks for the reply.
    I found this dis-assembly instruction that also includes a warning against dry firing describing it as a way to quickly break the firing pin.
    I will try to break it down to that level and replace if necessary.

A, A

If you hadn't already figured it out, that center rod is not the firing pin, it is the spring loaded ejector and there is nothing wrong with it, it is supposed to stick out like that. The firing pin is actually a flat piece that rides along a groove in the outside of the firing assembly.