Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Street Legal

Default Street Legal

Found a site that sales a kit to make Rhino's and Rangers street legal in Utah. Does anyone know if we can do the same here in AK? Would love to drive my ranger to work in Anchorage.

Quote Originally Posted by Fergy View Post
    Found a site that sales a kit to make Rhino's and Rangers street legal in Utah. Does anyone know if we can do the same here in AK? Would love to drive my ranger to work in Anchorage.
    I seriously doubt it, but the best place to ask would be at the DMV.

You'd probably use more gas than an SUV, but it would be kinda fun.

This is NOT legal in most of Alaska. Some towns, like Valdez, do have local ordinances that allow it, but Anchorage doesn't.
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

Wouldn't the gearing be a problem? How fast can such a vehicle go?
    I suspect that if you changed out the tires and made sure it had all the street legal accoutrements, such as turn signals, back up lights, license plate light, appropriate restraints, etc. it would be as legal as some other rigs.

No, ATV’s cannot be modified to be street legal.
    http://www.juneaupolice.com/viewindi...ch.php?UID=423
    http://doa.alaska.gov/dmv/dealer/sop_reg/pdfs/R135.pdf
    http://alaskaatvclub.org/smfforum/index.php?topic=721.0

There are special rules for roaded areas off the road system, for example Kotzebue.
    http://doa.alaska.gov/dmv/faq/otz.htm
    Inspiration is simply the momentary cessation of stupidity.

You need your own sub-forum called, "Just Ask Seraphina".

Quote Originally Posted by Fergy View Post
    Show us the link. If a person can build a vehicle from scratch and have it registered as road worthy by meeting all criteria, it follows that a person should be able to modify a UTV to the extent that is no longer an off-road machine but a road machine (which could see off-road duty). I think any laws intended to prevent legalization of UTVs for road use could be challenged or circumvented by a person with law savvy and mechanical aptitude (not to mention, $$). Would it be worth the trade-off?

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    You need your own sub-forum called, "Just Ask Seraphina".
    Not really, I answered the OP's question just fine without one. Do you have a point?
    Sorry the facts from DMV contradicted your guesses, that often seems to upset you.
    Perhaps you need your own sub-forum, "The Imaginary World According To Sayak"?

There's this band I used to listen to years ago (Primus) that wrote this song titled DMV.

I can't help now, but to think back on those beautiful lyrics : "I've been to hell. I spell it...i spell it dmv Anyone that's been there knows precisely what I mean Stood there and I've waited and choked back the urge to scream And if I had my druthers I'd screw a chimpanzee-call it pointless When I need relief I spell it thc Perhpas you may know vaguely what I mean I sit back and smoke away huge chunks of memory As I slowly inflict upon myself a full lobotomy-call it pointless Barbecues, tea kettles, gobs of axle grease There comes a time for every man to sail the seas of cheese Now, life's a bowl of bagel dogs, but there are unpleasantries Cold toilet seats, dentist chairs and trips to dmv-call it pointless"

My suggestion is to just drive the **** thing however you wish and if you see the law in the rear view mirror make an immediate right or left turn and get OFFROAD QUICK!
    “There's a humorous side to every situation. The challenge is to find it.”
    George Carlin

Perhaps not worth the extra effort, but here ya go anyway Sayak, my final gift to you:

"Show us the link."

There are many such kits, such as bulldogatv.com and ruthlessmotorsports.com, if you enjoy such things. However, the link to the kit is totally unimportant, since the issue is different state laws, not kit marketing statements.

"If a person can build a vehicle from scratch and have it registered as road worthy by meeting all criteria,"

If it's modified from a kit, then by definition it's not built from scratch, so it can't "meet all criteria". When the DMV examines the original frame's VIN, they'll immediately know it's not eligible as a street legal vehicle.
    (http://doa.alaska.gov/dmv/titles/rechbt.htm then click on "reconstructed vehicle")

"it follows that a person should be able to modify a UTV to the extent that is no longer an off-road machine but a road machine (which could see off-road duty)."

No, actually it does NOT follow, neither factually nor logically, and "should be able to" is imaginary thinking.

"I think any laws intended to prevent legalization of UTVs for road use could be challenged or circumvented by a person with law savvy and mechanical aptitude (not to mention, $$)."

You can believe whatever you like, but that doesn't make any of it true. In Utah, state law explicitly allows such kits as street legal. In Alaska, state law explicitly forbids them, since "ATV’s cannot be modified to be street legal", per the DMV's SOP No. R-135 (2007). Given our recent legal changes, attempts to "challenge or circumvent" our road safety laws are really swimming against the tide of current legislative, judicial, and even public opinion, meaning that even with legal savvy and the money to see a lawsuit or lobby to its conclusion, success is extremely unlikely.

Good luck with those imaginary facts Sayak. (Try not to take them out on your history students though!) I've gotten an occasional chuckle over your attempts to manufacture truth, and a good laugh over your opinions of me. FWIW, I think you're pretty "touchy and opinionated" too, but even so, I wish you the best.
    From your Woman of Mystery: http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=us

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphina View Post
    Perhaps not worth the extra effort, but here ya go anyway Sayak, my final gift to you:

"Show us the link."

There are many such kits, such as bulldogatv.com and ruthlessmotorsports.com, if you enjoy such things. However, the link to the kit is totally unimportant, since the issue is different state laws, not kit marketing statements.

"If a person can build a vehicle from scratch and have it registered as road worthy by meeting all criteria,"

If it's modified from a kit, then by definition it's not built from scratch, so it can't "meet all criteria". When the DMV examines the original frame's VIN, they'll immediately know it's not eligible as a street legal vehicle.
    (http://doa.alaska.gov/dmv/titles/rechbt.htm then click on "reconstructed vehicle")

"it follows that a person should be able to modify a UTV to the extent that is no longer an off-road machine but a road machine (which could see off-road duty)."

No, actually it does NOT follow, neither factually nor logically, and "should be able to" is imaginary thinking.

"I think any laws intended to prevent legalization of UTVs for road use could be challenged or circumvented by a person with law savvy and mechanical aptitude (not to mention, $$)."

You can believe whatever you like, but that doesn't make any of it true. In Utah, state law explicitly allows such kits as street legal. In Alaska, state law explicitly forbids them, since "ATV’s cannot be modified to be street legal", per the DMV's SOP No. R-135 (2007). Given our recent legal changes, attempts to "challenge or circumvent" our road safety laws are really swimming against the tide of current legislative, judicial, and even public opinion, meaning that even with legal savvy and the money to see a lawsuit or lobby to its conclusion, success is extremely unlikely.

Good luck with those imaginary facts Sayak. (Try not to take them out on your history students though!) I've gotten an occasional chuckle over your attempts to manufacture truth, and a good laugh over your opinions of me. FWIW, I think you're pretty "touchy and opinionated" too, but even so, I wish you the best.
    From your Woman of Mystery: http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=us
    Ooops! (blushing).
    We all have opinions, some more than others, and I'm sticking to mine. Here's why: I bought a manufactured trailer which was trashed and rebuilt it. When I brought it in for licensing it was declared a home built and given its own number on the title. Same thing happened with a skiff I salvaged w/o a transom. I was given a number by the DMV. If I was desperate to get a UTV legal I would declare it a homebuilt, and see where the law takes it.
    Nevertheless, thanks for the links.

Former police officer here and if an AK city or borough allows ATV's, UTV's, or snowmachines on city or borough roads then the ordinance also usualy requires them to have all lights, turn signals, and proof of insurance. In the case of snowmachines the driver is required to use hand and arm signals. But, then the vehicle can only be driven on city or borough roads not State of AK maintained roads. I checked into this a while back and the hang-up in AK for UTV's as far as the State of AK DMV is concerned is the "Title." ATV's and UTV's never have a title they have a "Certificate of Origin" and as far as I know there is no way to go from a "Certificate of Origin" to a title at least not in AK, other states, yes, but not AK.

Quote Originally Posted by 1S1K View Post
    Former police officer here and if an AK city or borough allows ATV's, UTV's, or snowmachines on city or borough roads then the ordinance also usualy requires them to have all lights, turn signals, and proof of insurance. In the case of snowmachines the driver is required to use hand and arm signals. But, then the vehicle can only be driven on city or borough roads not State of AK maintained roads. I checked into this a while back and the hang-up in AK for UTV's as far as the State of AK DMV is concerned is the "Title." ATV's and UTV's never have a title they have a "Certificate of Origin" and as far as I know there is no way to go from a "Certificate of Origin" to a title at least not in AK, other states, yes, but not AK.

So if it was ~titled~ in another state then what?

Also if you look at the Utah laws concerning ATV use, it's pretty much the same here, rural use areas, counties that are not listed as class 1 counties, like Salt Lake county which has Salt Lake City included in it's boundries. They are also not allow on certain highways or roads.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    We all have opinions, some more than others, and I'm sticking to mine. Here's why: I bought a manufactured trailer which was trashed and rebuilt it. When I brought it in for licensing it was declared a home built and given its own number on the title. Same thing happened with a skiff I salvaged w/o a transom. I was given a number by the DMV. If I was desperate to get a UTV legal I would declare it a homebuilt, and see where the law takes it.
    The problem is that you're comparing apples and oranges. Alaska law treats ATVs, trailers, and boats differently. There's a specific form and set of procedures for homebuilt trailers. Same for boats. Same for "reconstructed vehicles", (which do not include ATVs/UTVs/snowmachines). When you rebuilt the trailer, it was correctly declared a homebuilt. When you rebuilt the boat, same thing. But if you brought in a homebuilt "reconstructed" vehicle with an ATV's VIN on several major parts, you wouldn't be legally entitled to register it as a reconstructed street vehicle.

There's certainly a possibility that you could get away with it, since the rules are complex enough that DMV staffers sometimes screw up. But more and more, they either catch their errors at renewal and revoke registration (refuse to renew), or else a LEO stops you and notices the problem and notifies the DMV to revoke registration. (That's what's been happening with many of the folks who incorrectly registered mini-trucks in the past, and are now being told they can't use them on the roads.) Nothing changed, the DMV has just started catching their previous errors.
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...uck-on-the-Hwy

Question

Quote Originally Posted by 1S1K View Post
    I checked into this a while back and the hang-up in AK for UTV's as far as the State of AK DMV is concerned is the "Title." ATV's and UTV's never have a title they have a "Certificate of Origin" and as far as I know there is no way to go from a "Certificate of Origin" to a title at least not in AK, other states, yes, but not AK.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dupont Spinner View Post
    So if it was ~titled~ in another state then what?
    Alaska is one of the only states that returns the MCO (Manufacturer’s Certificate of Origin) to the owner. In almost every state, the dealer transfers all MCOs directly to the DMV upon the original sale of each vehicle, and the owner often never even sees it. The supposed reason for this nonsense is that a title can be reissued but an MCO can never be replaced (except at the factory of origin), and there have even been a few cases of new vehicles becoming unsaleable due to a lost MCO. (Sometimes it's cheaper just to junk the car instead of trying to resolve the situation!)

There's really no reason why Alaska couldn't issue a title, we just don't. So to answer the question, if an ATV was titled in another state, then our DMV treats that title the same as an MCO. And if an ATV from Alaska were later moved to another state, that other DMV would just trade the MCO for a title. It's a bit odd but not really a problem.
    http://doa.alaska.gov/dmv/dealer/sop_reg/R135_snow_atv.htm

Seraphina, you are the goddess of information. Nothing gets past you, and I fall at your feet in awe and contrition.

http://www.ledtsk.com/StreetLegalOHV.html
    This is one site for AZ that sales a kit. Will post the Utah one in a min

http://www.bulldogatv.com/index.php?...hk=1&Itemid=69

Here is another. There are many sites with lots of kits. Was just looking with an open mind. Some states will even allow golf carts to be registered if they can do 45 mph and have all the requirements. GA I know you can but are restricted to roads 45 or under. (No highways) In farming communities the locals run the red and orange triangle and go where they want.

seraphina, can you tell me what MCO means. I have a Polaris side/side and have a legal title from outside. What would DMV say if I showed up and wanted to transfer the title to Ak? Thanks for all the info on this.
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast