Thread: Skagway?

Default Skagway?

How is life in Skagway? Anyone live there, or lived there at one time?

We are looking for our own personal Shangri-La (to quote someone else here). Wife is a elementary school teacher, and I am working on getting my schooling done so I can teach history and science.

Just want to hunt, fish, trap, and have a nice life.

Never been, but pictures are beautiful and a nice climate. Very good access to some of the best country on earth, northwest Canada.
    I'd say go for it.
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

It seems to be a tourist trap now. It has very little livable land and most of the town is designated historical so it can't be changed. Very nice place to visit for a day, even for an Alaskan, for the history. Look at a topo map of the area to see how little area is liveable. I took a motor home trip and visited there about 15-20 years ago.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Seth View Post
    How is life in Skagway? Anyone live there, or lived there at one time?

We are looking for our own personal Shangri-La (to quote someone else here). Wife is a elementary school teacher, and I am working on getting my schooling done so I can teach history and science.

Just want to hunt, fish, trap, and have a nice life.
    I used to fly groceries/mail/freight/passengers there multiple times a day, summer and winter, and have spent time in the town and surrounding area (Dyea). Skagway proper is a carnival in the summer; pretty dead in the winter. If you could find land outside of town, that might work. It's pretty cold and windy there in the winter.

You'd be on a road to Haines, Canada/America, and some of Alaska, but you'd have to take a ferry or fly most of your supplies from the main town of Juneau (no road access). You'd have to like flying in small planes in bad weather (and you're down in it, VFR, not IFR like the jets). Biggest plane you'd be in is a Caravan, smallest would be a 206 or Cherokee 6. Any major hospitalization would require flight medivac to Juneau; Whitehorse would be accessible for some things.

It's pretty in Skagway, but I wouldn't consider it a Shangri-La due to the tens of thousands of tourists that can be dumped off the cruiseships there at any one day during the summer. Also, lots of college-age kids there in the summer due to tourist jobs; it's a party-town in the summer, for sure.

I don't want to sound negative; just that it's easy to have what we call the "starry-eyed fantasies" of how it's going to be in Alaska and the reality is oftentimes much less fun. Alaska is such a big state; before you settle on one area (Southeast) you might try to visit several different areas before you settle on one. Every area has its pros and cons, and all are beautiful in their own way. Good luck with whatever you decide.

hope you like the wind!! tourist in the summer & cold dusty north wind in the winters...if you want to hunt/fish/trap i'd look elsewhere.....s.e. has a ton of variety to choose from

Pretty good fishing, but far, far away, from what you are looking for in hunting and trapping.

Ted

I would look at Haines or the islands in the SE. Most of Skagway is owned by califorina folks running tourrist traps in the summer and gone in the winter.Skagway is about eight miles from Haines by boat or 350 miles by car through BC and Yukon.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you