Thread: Terminal Ballistics of Berger VLD Hunting

Default Terminal Ballistics of Berger VLD Hunting

I recently got a new custom rifle and the gunsmith worked up an incredibly accurate load. The bullet in particular is a 7mm 180gr Berger VLD Hunting. The opinion of a friend, whom I consider an elite hunter, is that the bullet may not be up to heavy work. He has taken Goat, Bear, Sheep and Elk with lighter 7mm Berger VLDs. Does anyone have any experience with Bergers and Moose or any terminal ballistic info from personal experience?

Bergers are harder bullets, made and designed for Long Range Shooting, thru my experience the (168 gr VLD) bergers don't open up as well as softer bullets.

Long Range is purpose of this rifle... so in your opinion is that a yes or no for moose?

Yes, I'm sure it would be great for moose.

Animals I shot were under 250 yards, entry was small as usual, exit wound same diameter, they don't mushroom like a comparable solid copper barnes TSX. I was told their most effective at over 400+ yards.

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    Animals I shot were under 250 yards, entry was small as usual, exit wound same diameter, they don't mushroom like a comparable solid copper barnes TSX. I was told their most effective at over 400+ yards.
    Once you get to that range you are no longer hunting moose, just shooting them.

I'm not condoning the shooting, but here's a video of a moose being shot at 890 yards with VLDs. I will tell you that he shot the moose twice....the first shot is edited out. You can tell that the moose is starting to stagger when the second shot hits him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VL8crbvPrzQ

It looks like he was shooting 7mm 168gr bergers at 3025 from what I can make out on the turret. Looks to have worked pretty well.

Yeah, I watched that episode of "best of the west" ......I would have to get alot closer, Don't like shooting big animals from those distances.

Actually, after just watching that again, I see two empty cases laying on his pack when he takes the (third?) shot. Maybe even more editing than I knew about.

I think what looks to be the third shot is just post shot video work. Notice how he has his leather gloves on. He never would have taken that shot w gloves on. Looks like two shots.

I shoot hand loaded 308 Berger 168 VLDs and I have found them to be the most accurate bullet that I have shot. The Berger site says that the VLD Hunting bullets are designed to penetrate 2 to 3 inches then shed 40% to 85% of their weight and create a massive would channel for 13 to 15 inches. I'm surprised to hear that they don't open up. A few years ago I emailed Berger and got a reply directly from Walt Berger. If you have questions you might want to email him and see what shakes out.

And for the free video: "To order a free 30 minute video that provides more detail on the bullets, cartridge and velocity used to take several animals at a variety of ranges call 714-447-5456." I just might call and ask for that video.

MyTime

Thanks for the info. I will give them a call about that video. I just wanna make darn sure I don't wound a moose because of my bullet choice, especially when my load for my .300 wm (barnes) has proven to long ranges..... The 300 Just isn't as sexy as the custom.

Been using them (168 gr) for a while now and they work just fine. Have had no problem with them on close shots either. Accurate little buggers for sure.
    Henry Bowman for President

Quote Originally Posted by alaskabliss View Post
    Once you get to that range you are no longer hunting moose, just shooting them.
    Eye roll..........