Thread: Mythbusting in your own home... grab your gun and belt and get in here!

Default Mythbusting in your own home... grab your gun and belt and get in here!

Just found an interesting website designed for teaching skills needed in gun/shooting games. It has several drills, including one that allows you to draw and dry-fire at a target against a timer. Anyhow, seemed pretty educational. Put on your 'bear gun' and see how you do. It is interesting to see the difference between our perceptions and reality. Are you fast enough to get your gun out when you need to, before it is too late? Give it a shot and see.

Post up how you do, there aren't really any wrong answers. If you want to get real crazy, throw a shotgun over your shoulder and see if you can make time.

I have been playing with a Redhawk in a homemade holster, and running the standard target at 50% size, dry firing from just a few feet away. Anyway, with that combo, I am getting times of 1.9 seconds from hands hanging at sides to the gun snapping on the center of the target. FWIW, a good draw and shoot speed with reaction time is considered to be 1 sec or less from an open holster.

It would be interesting to see how everyone does with their various combinations of gear. Chest holsters, long barrels, etc. Post 'em up! Go to the Draw at the Beep drill and set a time. The buzzer will beep once, signalling start, and then again when your time is up. If you have the sights lined up on the target and have fired before the second beep, you've made that time. See what you can do 5/10 times or so. I am guessing the beep is .1 second long, so if you snap during the second beep, then you would probably be .1 second higher than your time.

http://www.predatortactical.com/cart...se_detail&id=5

I shoot a bit of the ABC games and do pretty well with the various lightweight auto pistols. From the beep, I shoot with my PACT shot timer and can put a shot on target in about .8 seconds. (at seven hards for an A size hit) When I put on my 4" S&W 29 with my standard field cary hip holster that slows to just under two seconds. I haven't tried with any longer barrels but that would slow things more. I do know young shooters that consistently make one shot hits in about .6 seconds, as above this includes the reaction time, sighting and trigger time.

Not to brag but there was a time when I could beat Thell Reed with a first shot on target with the 1911 but I never master his aerial marksmanship.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

That was about what I found, but I wasn't getting .8 hits with a lightweight auto...

It is amazing to see the difference in going from the auto to a good size revolver.

Using a 2.5" barreled Ruger SRH, I can consistently beat 1.8 sec and usually beat 1.7 sec from a strong side thumb break. That's using "Modern Technique" draw and an A zone aim. From a Alaska Sportsmans chest holster with buckle retention I'm more like 2.3 sec on when thing go well. However, it's much, much less consistent due primarily to either the buckle or the sight hanging up on the holster. I also get a less consistent grip on the gun, which would effect my accuracy.

Bears travel at what? 40 fps in a charge? That 0.5 seconds buys me at least 20 ft. Interesting.

Yk

with a shot gun in the crook of my arm (we don't have one with a sling, plus that is typical hunting stance) it was 1.2 second....and if the bear is coming out of the brush at 40 FPS and its 20 feet away....i'm screwed, plus I was ready for the beep.

the 1911 in one of those holsters like what the police use ( I got one for dad for christmas) that clip onto your pants was, assuming you have a bullet in the barrel and have it on half cock, was 1.4 seconds....the 44 mag in the best holster was 2.9 mostly cause of the front sight getting bought on the holster and I don't ever shoot it.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowknife View Post
    Using a 2.5" barreled Ruger SRH, I can consistently beat 1.8 sec and usually beat 1.7 sec from a strong side thumb break. That's using "Modern Technique" draw and an A zone aim. From a Alaska Sportsmans chest holster with buckle retention I'm more like 2.3 sec on when thing go well. However, it's much, much less consistent due primarily to either the buckle or the sight hanging up on the holster. I also get a less consistent grip on the gun, which would effect my accuracy.

Bears travel at what? 40 fps in a charge? That 0.5 seconds buys me at least 20 ft. Interesting.

Yk
    I was hoping to hear some how it went with a chest holster vs. a belt holster. The idea of a faster draw buying some time is interesting too.

Quote Originally Posted by FurFishGame View Post
    with a shot gun in the crook of my arm (we don't have one with a sling, plus that is typical hunting stance) it was 1.2 second....and if the bear is coming out of the brush at 40 FPS and its 20 feet away....i'm screwed, plus I was ready for the beep.

the 1911 in one of those holsters like what the police use ( I got one for dad for christmas) that clip onto your pants was, assuming you have a bullet in the barrel and have it on half cock, was 1.4 seconds....the 44 mag in the best holster was 2.9 mostly cause of the front sight getting bought on the holster and I don't ever shoot it.
    All right! You got the long gun out!

I've played with this a bit more, and noticed my time come down a bit. Might be something to mess around with, doesn't seem like it would be a bad idea to learn how to get a bear gun out in a hurry...

We need more input. Maybe some long barrels, Uncle Mike's holsters, single action... I used to do OK with a Super Blackhawk in a crossdraw holster, but I wonder if maybe that was just wishful thinking, those beeps come awfully close together.

Quote Originally Posted by HBM View Post
    We need more input. Maybe some long barrels, Uncle Mike's holsters, single action... I used to do OK with a Super Blackhawk in a crossdraw holster, but I wonder if maybe that was just wishful thinking, those beeps come awfully close together.
    My single action .44 is out on loan or I'd try it. I'm sure I would loose a couple of tenths with the longer barrel and hammer, but the biggest drawback was the split times and followup accuracy with heavy loads.

Reaction time is killer for me. Got to be paying attention out there if you expect to get a shot off.

Yk

You guys should try some Steel Challange. Those in Fairbanks can shoot at Bills range, 27 mile steese. They start shooting in April go to www.alaskagunner.com for dates.

I believe they are shooting in Anchorage as well, birchwood i believe.

I have shot in Kenai with the snow shoe gun club.

Lots of folks will use their carry rig, of course no shoulder or chest rigs allowed, stong side belt holsters only.

You'll get a more accurate feel for what you really can do as far as draw speeds, especially with a little adrenalin flow.......A much more accurate test then out practiceing alone.

Plus its a hoot and you'll get to see and shoot against some of the top handgunners in the state......

Hey Murphy......Thell Reed, haven't heard that name in some time.....saw him shoot once......

I'll get dads -06 out with a sling if I get a chance tomorrow.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Quote Originally Posted by aksalcha View Post
    You guys should try some Steel Challange. Those in Fairbanks can shoot at Bills range, 27 mile steese. They start shooting in April go to www.alaskagunner.com for dates.

Lots of folks will use their carry rig, of course no shoulder or chest rigs allowed, stong side belt holsters only.

You'll get a more accurate feel for what you really can do as far as draw speeds, especially with a little adrenalin flow.......A much more accurate test then out practiceing alone.

Plus its a hoot and you'll get to see and shoot against some of the top handgunners in the state......

Hey, that's something I didn't know about. I've managed to get enough training the last couple years that I can get a gun of a holster in a safe/reasonably correct manner, but I've had to travel to Birchwood or Palmer to get it. Looks like there is shooting/training here in Fairbanks that I was completely unaware of.

Yk