Thread: Successful Ptarmigan Hunt

Default Successful Ptarmigan Hunt

Yesterday my brother-in-law and I went riding up north. I decided to bring my new Rossi 22/410 in my backpack. After we got about 5 miles back, I saw some ptarmigan tracks and took a swing through the scrub and flushed about 75 birds. I strapped on the snowshoes, loaded the gun and chased the flock, shooting and flushing for a few rounds until I had 6 birds. We rode for another few hours and when we stopped for lunch, I found another dozen birds, so I waited for them to line up and took two with one shot. 6 birds are now in my freezer and 2 are simmering in a pot on the stove. It was a good day, but it was down to about -20 in a few places, making it a little miserable to stop anywhere for long.

Ptarmigan.jpg
    Ptarmigan2.jpg

Looks like a satisfying day to me. Congrats, I'm one of a jealous lot. Any ideas on how you are going to eat the last 6?
    Go Big Red!

I think I will try subbing for chicken in a few recipes on the last 6. Tonight's recipe of simmering in BBQ and other sauces wasn't bad, but it won't be repeated. You can't go wrong baked in foil with salt and pepper though.

Sounds like a good trip but any trip is a good trip most of the time. You see anything else out riding around?

!^&$$!!!!! Color me jealous! I'd love to get a few and soak the breasts in milk for three days. I change the milk every morning then grill them after the third day. They taste so mild as the milk draws out the blood. I'm partial to butter and salt and pepper. For me, no need to get all fancy. Ooops, just drooled on my keyboard..............
    Follow me...................

hoythunder: It was a good trip. Nobody got towed out, so that is always a positive thing. Everybody else bailed on the trip because it was so cold though. As far as seeing anything else, there were a lot of rabbit tracks and a few coyote tracks. Maybe next time I'll bring a predator call and see what shows up. There were also a lot of moose hunkering down trying to stay warm.

gunguy: I agree that simple S+P is about the best seasoning for ptarmigan as the meat already has plenty of flavor, unlike chicken. I haven't seen the need to soak them since I actually like the flavor they have, but I might try soaking in italian dressing next time for a marinade. Dangit, now I'm drooling too!

Good job!! Just curious which species of ptarmingan you harvested. They look like white ptarmingan from the photo, did they have black wings?
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Default Slayer progress report?

Slayer, how is your pursuit going? It was hot and heavy for a while this fall. Hope you are still active. I was wondering the same thing but then I saw a black tail on the smallest one in the picture so the others must have also been black. The white-tailed are the smallest (about 3/4 pound live weight) of the ptarmigan. Just a clarification, the rock and willows will have black tails, all the ptarmigan have white wings. Everyone keep up the pursuit and keep posting! I'm in the midst of a life moment and will be tabling any ptarmigan pursuit until hopefully the last week of March, if at all this season.

I love to see the landscapes and hear the stories. Plus it helps to keeps this forum from deteriorating like the Hunting forum, ugh.
    Go Big Red!

Yeah I think they were willow ptarmigan. They were all white except for black tail bars and the wing feathers had either black streaks or brown speckles. Some were smaller than others, but I think those might have just been first year birds. It put me way off balance trying to ride with that much weight in the backpack so I just buried them in the snow and picked them up on the way home.

Right on thanks for the reply, I am still in the hunt, I am after a rocky and maybe a sharp tail. I probably will look at the sharp tail in the Fall. I enjoy seeing everyones reports for sure. Thanks again
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com