Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Member of the Year 2011 Biographies

Default Member of the Year 2011 Biographies

During the last few weeks, those of us that have participated on the Member of the Year Team have had the privilege of being able to read and listen to how Members and Moderators of Outdoors Directory feel about their fellow outdoorsman by Nominating and Voting for some of the finest and elite hunters, fisherman, trappers, climbers, and gardeners that this forum board can offer to you. Most of all, they are real people just like yourself that have come to share, love, and appreciate our great State and the resources it offers us as a community.
    In return, we have received the biographies requested from some of the nominees and we would like to take a moment to acknowledge and share those biographies with you.

Sincerely,
    Member of the Year Team
    Come and visit our newly renovated and modified website at:
    www.outdoorsdirectory.com

Our Bookstore is open, too!
    www.outdoorsdirectory.com/store

Default AK NIMROD posthumously Top Three Nominee

AK NIMROD posthumously
    As told by his daughter Patrice McCabe:

Patrick T. McCabe began his love for the outdoors at a very young age; fishing, hunting and exploring with the help of his father. Pat was known as AK NIMROD to many, most would think because of his knack for mishaps or so called 'Pat Adventures' but it truly meant "mighty hunter". He loved bowhunting and bowfishing not only for the sport but to teach others his lovecean boat in PWS or in his unique one of kind jetboat. His knack for uniqueness in his life continued as he loved driving around town in his pinzgauer 710M. He loved living in Alaska and wasn't afraid to tell you about it in his travels. Pat lived his life like everyone should; by doing what he loved every day of his life.

Pat began his training to be a Physician Assistant (PA) back in 1973 with the Air Force, graduating in 1975. He moved to Anchorage, AK in 1977, working as a PA for the Air Force at Elmendorf AFB. Then the family was moved to Colorado Springs, Peterson AFB from 1982-84. The family moved back to Alaska in 1984. In 1988, he retired from the Air Force as a Captain after 20 years of service. He worked at Kuparuk from Nov.1989-Jan. 2011.

Pat was a Life Member of the NRA and Alaska Bowhunters Association, a master bowhunter education instructor and a Pope & Young measurer.

Pat was married to Judy for 37 years and has 3 children; Hylis, Robert and Patrina. He also has 2 grandchildren; Kyra and Leah. All of which reside in Soldotna, Alaska.

Thank you so very much for this opportuniy to honor Pat.

Thank you,

Patrina McCabe

Here are a few compliments of what Members and Moderators had to say about AK NIMROD:

I met Pat after loosing my kayak paddle out in PWS. I figured it was long gone and had to cut my trip short. Sunday morning siting at home drinking coffee and reading through the forum I found two separate posts from Pat. He had found my paddle and wanted to return it. We made plans to meet up that afternoon. When I got to his place he refused the reward I had promised. Said he was just happy to return my paddle and keep lost gear from junking up the sound. I finally convinced him to except a bottle of Crown Royal despite his protests. After we concluded our business he showed me the reason he was in the sound that weekend. He had taken a young woman and her father out for her first ever black bear hunt. You should have seen the pride in his eyes over this young lady harvesting not just her first bear, but her first bear with a bow and arrow!
    I didn't know it at the time but Pat was sick, he knew his time here was limited but didn't care. All he cared about was spreading his love of hunting and the great outdoors with the younger generation.
    If that's not the heart and actions of a true sportsman I don't know what is

I vote for AK NIMROD because he was always there for anyone who had questions or needed help. I've met up with him several times on the haul road and he would always stop to say hey or tell ya where the 'bou were. I've seen him stop hunting for hours only to help out another hunter with their boat or whatever. Great guy who is missed by all.

Default Stid2677 Top Three Nominee

Stid2677

Having been born in Southern Florida and raised by a struggling single Mother, I never really dreamed that I would have the means to move to and hunt in the great state of Alaska. I had no father to teach me how to hunt or fish, but was blessed enough to have an uncle or two that would help when time permitted.

While we never went hungry, many meals were often little more than beans and rice. When I was old enough to get out on my own, I would rush home after school and change out of the clothes I had for school because 3 different outfits was all my Mom could afford and she would skin me good if I damaged them while out hunting or fishing.

These hard times taught me to respect hard work and to be thankful for what we had. I honed my hunting skills chasing and killing rabbits in the cane fields of Florida using a stick as my gun. I can still remember how proud I was when I had mowed enough lawns and saved enough to purchase an old wore out sears 12 gauge shotgun.

That old Shotgun put a lot of meat on our table while I grew up. I would get up before school and run a few trot lines to catch some fish and turtles for our table. I learned to waste nothing and to fix what I had, also that there was great honor in hard work.

When I was old enough I joined the Army as a helicopter mechanic. The Army was good to me and I took advantage of all it had to offer. I had quit school to get a job to help my Mom pay the bills, so I attended night school to earn my GED. I used the Armyís tuition assistance program to earn my Bachelors degree from Embry-Riddle, and also earned my FAA A&P & pilots license.

After over 20 years of service, I was injured in Iraq and returned to the States and retired. My lovely bride of 20 years Flor, also is a Soldier and she was assigned to Fort Wainwright. It did not take us long to know that we had found our home. My Son Zachary just moved to Fairbanks and Iím eager to share Alaska with him. My daughter Jenny and my 3 grandkids got a chance to visit this summer and she also got to see what I love about living here.

It is true that I was not born here, but Alaska is HOME and it is my desire to remain here forever. I hope to live a long life, but when my days are over it is my wish to have my ashes spread over the incredibly beautiful Brooks Range.

Like many others new to Alaska or Alaska hunting, I stumbled on AOD in 2003 in my search for information and help with the daunting task of trying to figure out both the complex regulations and to find a place to start my quest.

I was greeted by many wonderful members that were eager and friendly, who helped me be properly prepared to experience the Great Land that is Alaska. They answered all my questions, even though they had been ask by the same by others hundreds of times.

Over the years I have been blessed with meeting and sharing many adventures with members of AOD, many of these members I now consider friends. We share stories here and help each other spend our money, talking about everything Alaskan, including guns, gear, reloading etc.. AOD is truly the go to place for everything Alaskan.

It would seem that I have become know as a bit of a camp cook and one that has a photo for everything. It is said that a picture is worth a thousand words. The same topics and questions often come up and I just like to try to answer some of those with a photo showing Alaska in all her beauty, plus we all love good food!!!

To me AOD is like family, and with any family we all have THAT cousin or uncle, but I would not trade our family for any other. Time and time again I have seen members come to the assistance of another with only a Thank You as payment. To me this is what Alaska is all about. Members helped Flor and I win a shotgun in an online contest, we felt it only right to put that shotgun in the hands of our future generation. It warms my heart to see young members on AOD, members such as FurFishGame, joefish00000 and many others that are an inspiration to all and represent all our future hunters.
    When I was nominated I was ask to include 4 photos. I was honored to assist a couple AOD members, that I now call friends in realizing their dreams of harvesting some fine trophies. These memories will last me a lifetime, sharing their excitement and success has been the highlight of my hunting experience. I would like to publicly thank all the members that were kind enough to share with me and I hope that I have lived up to those who came before me and hope that I have given just a little back to the Alaskan hunting community.

Here are a few compliments of what Members and Moderators had to say about Stid2677:

Stid has contributed a lot of great advice and is very knowlegeable.

Stid has my vote.

Stid2677 is my vote, awesome all around contributions all the time.

I vote for Stid2677 and do so because of the documented instances where he has offered his knowledge, expertise, and equipment to help others enjoy the great outdoors.

That guy is just sooo into helping folks, seems what the Forums are best at, and Stid personifies the concept.

The amount of information on hunting and fishing he shares is nothing short of amazing.
    Always been polite even during disagreements.
    He makes it clear he eats what he hunts and shares the recipes.

Members,
    I would like to nominate Stid2677 for Member of the Year. I have known Stid2677 for almost 5 years and I consider him and great friend and good person as well. I came to Alaska with the military and as an avid (but fairly inexperienced) big game hunter. I tried a few hunts on my own but to be quite honest, Alaska kicked my *** pretty good. I was busy at work, and frustrated with my lack of success after hunting the haul road and bear baiting off of Globe creek in Fairbanks. After taking two days to unbury my four wheeler (don't ask!), I almost decided to quit my Alaska hunting adventures. I then met Steve on the forum and he invited me to his home and we hit it off right away. He took me under his wing and was (and is) extremely generous with his time, knowledge and equipment. We have done some great hunts together and I never would have harvested some exceptional animals and shared some great times in the gorgeous country that is Alaska.
    I hope to share more adventures with Stid2677 and consider him a good friend, and mentor.

But over the years, I have read, appreciated and made mental-notes-for-future-reference on more of stid2677's posts than anyone else.
    Whether sharing a campfire, making tent repairs in the rain or meeting your family, Stid seems an ideal fellow outdoorsman, mentor and neighbor too.

Stid2677, I would say is the best man for the spot. He always is positive in all his post, and when there is a post that is being put down or bullied he is there to add a positive reply. When he goes hunting he not only gets everybody pumped up ahead of time he alway's returns with a Pic heavy hunt report with a great story. He has a Big enough heart to take people his has never ment before on this great site and take them hunting with him and has given them their first chance at game they would've never been able to hunt until meeting Steve. I could continue but don't want to miss the vote.

His posts are always positive and numerous. His trip reports and pics are inspiring.

Hands down stid should win this! Between his awesome stories and the help he willingly hands out!

I would like to nominate Stid. I always look forward in his posts, trips and pictures more than any other on the forum.

Last edited by stid2677; 01-02-2012 at 16:43.

Default strangerinastrangeland Top Three Nominee

strangerinastrangeland

strangerinastrangeland did not submit a biography for Member of the Year 2011.
    You can view his profile here:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...inastrangeland

Here are a few compliments that Members and Moderators said about strangerinastrangeland:

I have to pick stranger on this round.

Because he shares so much insight into an area of Alaska most never see, let alone live in.

strangerinastrangeland has given much advice to many on this forum and his stories and adventures are always a blast to read about.....he has helped me and a few others i know thru many things this past year

because his posts are interesting and not in the interest of self promotion.

Please enter my vote for: strangerinastrangeland

I am voting for Strangerinastrangeland for member of the year. he is real helpful and down to earth.

I vote for Stranger because he's a real Alaskan who lives the remote life everyday. He aint some road rat who only recreates for a hunting season, he's the real deal.

Strangerinastrangland is always top in his post and should be on the list

I nominate stranger for member of the year.
    He is such a positive person. Always happy to see others success.
    He has opened so many eyes to the world he lives in. It is a reminder of how our
    fathers lived. And how far the rest of the world has gone.

He has also helped me off the forum and never asked for recognition.
    He is very open and always freely admits when he hit "enter" too fast.
    A good natured family man with old fashioned values.

Default alaskachuck

alaskachuck
    Wow I am not good at this.....I was here 78-83 came back in 1989.....Grew up on the Kenai/Russian River before was what is it now...

My life changed when I met my wife....June....aka June Bug aka Ak FishGoddess.

I have been lucky enough to fish many members of this forum.....I have shared a fire or two...A beverage or two....

Iím just the average working person......I have made so many friends on this forum. I just canít think of things to say about me...God forbid...if I win Iíll give you more....I will send pics though.

Thanks,

Chuck

Here are a few compliments of what Members and Moderators had to say about alaskachuck:

But as a pretty much daily reader of these forums for the last three-plus years, I think alaskachuck most embodies the first three of the prerequisite characteristics listed in the "How to Nominate" post.
    I have no way of knowing how many infractions may have been given to him by the moderators, but I have seen his posts as consistently friendly, welcoming, helpful to those who ask questions, certainly inoffensive, and wildly enthusiastic about the Alaskan outdoors. His basic post is, "Here's some great pictures, here's what we did, this is how we did it, and we had a blast!"
    I also remember him offering to take a guy and the guy's father out for a day of fishing after they had flown to Anchorage to find out that they had been stiffed by their outfitter on their Alaska dream trip. And there is no doubt in my mind that if I had posted on his annual Fishapalooza thread that I was going to be in Alaska at that time and wanted to check it out that he would have posted back, "Sure, the more the merrier, here's how to find us, it'll be great to meet you." So I nominate alaskachuck for MOTY.

Default Akres

Akres

Akres did not submit a biography for Member of the Year 2011, but you can find his profile here:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/....php/444-Akres

Here are a few compliments of what our Members and Moderators submitted for his nomination:
    I'd like to nominate AKRES. :-)

Default Brwnbr

BRWNBR
    My name is Jake. I've lived in Alaska for 32 years. I'm a father of 2 (for now) and a husband to 1 (forever). I started guiding when I was 19 and have been doing that ever since. We run our own guiding business, Black River Hunting Camps LLC, and focus on personal intense hunting experiences. Although I'm a guide, I'm first and foremost and Alaskan, and Alaskan resources and opportunities are my priority, as I hope my kids will be able to have some of the same adventures as I did when I was young.
    I'm now 33 years old and have met great folks from the AOD forums and have enjoyed most of the information and experiences shared here.
    Thanks to whoever nominated me. I appreciate the thought. Campfires always on, coffees always hot and your always welcome!

Here are a few compliments of what Members and Moderators had to say about BRWNBR:

I would like to nominate for MOTY, BRWNBR. He always provides great stories and pictures, and insightful information to folks asking questions. I realize he's not the most prolific poster, but he does have a job that takes him away from technology for over half the year.

Default kingfisherktn

kingfisherktn

kingfisherktn did not submit a biography for Member of the Year 2011, but you can find his profile here:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...-kingfisherktn

Here are a few compliments of what Members and Moderators had to say about kingfisherktn:

kingfisherktn is always positive and takes the high road. It is people like him that keep me frequenting this forum. So much drama, so much BS, many folks have parted with this board. A few were good friends of mine in fact. People like kingfisherktn keep people like me coming around. His knowledge of outdoor activities in Alaska is valuable, but it is his candor that I admire the most. We need more people like him on this forum and I am glad to see he has become a moderator. Gives me hope that this forum is continuing to move forward.

Default Seraphina

Seraphina

Seraphina did not submit a biography for Member of the Year 2011, but you can find her profile here:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...6898-Seraphina

I am casting a nomination for the member called Seraphina for Alaska Outdoor Member of the Year. This member consistently contributes to the site with an informed attitude. The information is well thought out, intelligent and presented in a highly effective manner. The individual consistently presents questions to the forum when information is unclear and provides respectful feedback. I find that you can learn a great deal from Seraphina across a broad range of topics. If you review past postings you will find a consistent pattern of respect, intelligence, assistance and knowledge for all that is outdoors/outdoor related.

Default snowcamoman

snowcamoman

I was born in Michigan and grew up doing a wide variety of outdoor activities. My Grandfather placed a fly rod in my hand at the age of four and taught me how to use it. As I grew, I traveled all over Michigan fishing for everything from Steelhead to Bass and Pike. I worked part time for a local fly shop teaching fly casting as well as fly tying to both children and adults. My Dad took me hunting as a child as I followed along with a BB gun, learning how to safely hunt and handle a firearm. I eventually graduated from the BB gun and moved up to shotguns, rifles and a bow. Eventually, as I grew older, my travels brought me to Alaska. I'd come to Alaska in the summer for a couple weeks to fish for salmon and trout with friends. Every time I'd return back home to Michigan, I'd miss Alaska. Then, in the summer of 1999, a relative who lived in Alaska told me that I should come back up and see what a winter is like. So less than two weeks after returning from a fishing trip to Alaska, I was loading up my truck and hitting the road north with my Dad. Dad flew back to Michigan and I stayed. I enrolled and transferred my college credits from Michigan to UAF. During my couple remaining years of college, I worked as a fishing and rafting guide all over the state of AK. Guiding was a great way to meet and share with people the enthusiasm I have for the outdoors and wildlife. During the winter month's I built and sold custom fly rods to people all over the world from Patagonia to England. Twelve years later, I call Alaska my home. I love everything the state has to offer and have been blessed with a wonderful wife and family. During the winter month's I enjoy sitting out in the snow calling predators.

Regards,

Peter

Here are a few compliments of what Members and Moderators had to say about snowcamoman:

Very helpful person on the hunting forum. Always willing to offer helpful information and he is knowledgable too.

Default Tailwind

Tailwind

My name is Leon and I am the first born Alaskan from a family who moved here from Colorado in 1983. I was conceived in Denver, born in Anchorage and raised in Palmer. I like to travel but just a few days away from this great place leaves me longing for home. It really is the best place in the world and I will spend my life here.

I live for the Alaskan outdoors and choose to spend every free moment I can outside. I feel blessed that my backyard in the most beautiful place on this planet and I remind myself daily that I should be thankful to live in paradise. I am an avid hunter, fisherman and trapper and I support all of the outdoor pursuits. I hope someday I can say I have tried nearly everything in Alaska but for now I am content to stomp around South-central in chase of birds, bulls and maybe some free beer.

My favorite memory of the year has to be taking my sisters and niece ptarmigan hunting for the first time in Hatcher Pass. We grew up with a mother who was afraid of everything in this new place so far from home and subsequently none of us ever had the chance to get out and enjoy all that Alaska has to offer in our youth. It wouldnít be until I was old enough to get the girls out on my own that my family would get to hunt and fish Alaska. To see the excitement and joy in their eyes is priceless for me and I now understand why experienced hunters like Stid, Hunt/Lanche and Stranger prefer to share their time in the sticks with loved ones. I wonít soon forget our first family hunts and I hope that the girls continue to allow me to show them around these wild places. The last three pics below are of each girls first successful hunt.

No bio for me would be complete without some credit going to my best friend E. I was a bit of a rambler in my younger days and she, along with family, are responsible for me taking my life from negative to positive. She is always there to support me and has saved my life a hundred times. Even though we are no longer together I owe anything good that has happened in my life to her. All I can say to E, my family and all my friends on this forum is thank you for putting up with this odd duck, I appreciate your support. I get by with a little help from my friends.

Leon

Here are a few compliments of what Members and Moderators had to say about Tailwind:

I would like to nominate Tailwind as member of the year.

When I was up and coming on this forum he was always answering my questions, and it times when other folks were being nasty, he was there watching out for me, he always seems to post nice things and help out new folk, his answers are clear and to the point, no bull in his answers. Plus he is just awesome.

Default Mr. Pid

Mr. Pid

Mr. Pid did not submit a biography for Member of the Year, but you can find his profile here:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...hp/3209-Mr-Pid

Here are a few compliments of what Members and Moderators had to say about Mr. Pid:

[I nominate] Mr. Pid for his intelligent and very helpful contributions to this site

Default shphtr

shphtr

shphtr did not submit a biography for Member of the Year 2011, but you can find his profile here:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...php/817-shphtr

Here are a few compliments of what Members and Moderators had to say about shphtr:

I find his posts to be useful and informative. He has an excellent handle on sheep hunting in Alaska and this is reflected in his posts. He commonly helps folks with their first steps toward planning a sheep hunt. He doesn't self promote. For these reasons, I nominate him for member of the year.

Default Alaska Grandma

Alaska Grandma

Alaska Grandma did not submit a biography for Member of the Year, but you can find her profile here:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...Alaska-Grandma

Here are a few compliments of what Members and Moderators had to say about Alaska Grandma:

I think out of everyone here theres 2 members that I never heard argue with others or try to belittle others, this person has done nothing but try to help and make things smoother for anyone that loves the outdoors and is willing to help most anyone my choice is Alaska Grandma.

Alaska Lanche

Alaska_Lanche

I was born and raised here in AK. Grew up mostly in Cantwell where my love for the outdoors really took off. Having the opportunity to able to hunt big game literally out the back door of our house for caribou, moose, bear, and sheep spoiled me more than I realized at the time. My outdoor activities that I experienced through my high school years usually was accompanied by my younger brother (Hunt_Ak) and left a lot of adventures for two young punks to experience usually Mt. McKinely looming in the background.

Currently I work on the slope and spend as much time as possible when not on the slope doing outdoor activities. Whether it be snowmaching, hunting, fishing, backpacking, or, packrafting. I'm blessed to be able to spend nearly 100 nights in the field this past year most of which with my lovely wife along.

I'd like to thank everyone on this forum that has helped educate me on all that AK has to offer and look forward to learning much more here. Looking forward to 2012 with lots of adventures and hunting trips already planned out for the coming months. I wish everyone a wonderful 2012 fishing/hunting year.

-Alaska_Lanche

Here are a few compliments of what Members and Moderators had to say about Alaska_Lanche:

With so many truly great members it is very difficult so select only one. However for me Alaska_lanche is a shining example of what MOTY should be.

He is an honest, hard working Man that truly enjoys everything that Alaska has to offer and is eager and willing to share his passion with the members of AOD. I have shared a campfire with many hunters and Luke is the best of the best. I have never heard him utter a negative comment and he is always willing to allow another hunter first opportunity.

Thewolfwatching

Thewolfwatching did not submit a biography for Member of the Year 2011.

Here are a few compliments of what Members and Moderators had to say about Thewolfwatching:

She routinely created the most memorable forum contributions. In addition, her valuable forum contributions helped create a forum atmosphere for both introspective though and appreciation for diversity among other forum members. Under her forum name, she obtained
    a total of nine (9) green dots in only a year, clear evidence that her forum contributions were appreciated by others.
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 01-06-2012 at 21:51.

Default AKDoug

AK Doug

AK Doug did not submit a biography for Member of the Year 2011, but you can find his profile here:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...php/684-AKDoug

Here are a few compliments of what Members and Moderators had to say about AKDoug:

I nominate: AKDoug.
    Consistently level-headed, well-informed and experienced advice /comments on these forums.
    In addition to the mods, there are some terrific regular contributors and several worth nominating, but
    in my mind AKDoug scores most often with great, sage advice.
    Should be an interesting year for this award.

Default spike9542003@yahoo.com

spike9542003@yahoo.com

spike9542003@yahoo.com did not submit a biography for Member of the Year 2011, but you can find his profile here:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...2003-yahoo-com

Here are a few compliments of what Members and Moderators had to say about spike9542003@yahoo.com:

I nominate spike9542003@yahoo.com he has been very helpful to me this year as I began trapping. And as I read other posts he is helpful to anyone who has a question that he can offer advice on. thanks

Default BrownBear

BrownBear

BrownBear did not submit a biography for Member of the Year 2011, but you can find his profile here:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...2602-BrownBear

Here are a few compliments of what Members and Moderators had to say about BrownBear:

Forum Member of the year - BrownBear

These are your 18 Member of the Year 2011 Nominees.
    Congratulations again, Members! You have been nominated by fellow Members and Moderators on this site because you have made significant contributions to our shared Outdoors Directory forum board.

Member of the Year Team

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast