Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new gc advice

Default new gc advice

im told my 27ft coho will be completed soon. it looks close at least. in the spirit of positive thinking, i would like to solicit advice and suggestions from current owners. what would you have differently during the rigging, motoring, electronics. any odds and ends you added later when the boat was in use that you would like to share. of course im particularly interested in owners of 27 footers. ill take any thoughts you have. the boat layout is pretty simple. a heater, head, considering a stove. (type?) motors will be twin suzuki 175hp. no electronics chosen yet.
    i know this may be old territory. i have read past posts. perhaps there are some more thoughts out there.
    thank you

Work I have had done since I got the boat (27 foot GC) in 08.
    1. Extended the transom
    2. Kicker bracket added
    3. Lowered the anchor puller.
    4. Tie downs welded onto transom/swimstep
    5. Removeable rod holders x 4

Alot of this stuff could have been done at GC before delivery. I just wasn't sure how I wanted it done. I wanted to use it awhile before I started making changes.
    "Ebbtide" 27 X 9 GlacierCraft
    MMSI#

Default new gc advice

Quote Originally Posted by Ebbtide View Post
    Work I have had done since I got the boat (27 foot GC) in 08.
    1. Extended the transom
    2. Kicker bracket added
    3. Lowered the anchor puller.
    4. Tie downs welded onto transom/swimstep
    5. Removeable rod holders x 4

Alot of this stuff could have been done at GC before delivery. I just wasn't sure how I wanted it done. I wanted to use it awhile before I started making changes.
    thanks for the reply. why did you extend the transom? and why the anchor puller change. what did you motor it with? are you happy with your heater and electronics?

Quote Originally Posted by icram56 View Post
    thanks for the reply. why did you extend the transom? and why the anchor puller change. what did you motor it with? are you happy with your heater and electronics?
    I have twin 150 yamaha 4 stroke motors. They have plenty of power and top out about 42-45 mph. The reason for the transom extension is because the rear of the boat sat too low in the water if there was alot of weight in the back of the boat and for better/more efficient crusing. If I had alot of weight in the back of the boat I would have water coming in the scrubbers. The transom extension fixed that. The anchor puller was mounted too high. It was pretty difficult to see to get on the trailer and created a blindspot at cruise. To fix this we removed the 3 inch bracket it was mounted on, cut out the deck, and created a dish to sit on the cut-out that recessed into the anchor locker and drained to the outside of the boat. The heater is an airtronic L (diesel) model and I have no problems with it or the nav net vx2 1724 electronics. I opted for the twin 7 inch screens (one on each side of the steering wheel) as opposed to a 10 inch dash model because I did not want to offset the steering wheel.
    MMSI#

Default gc advice

ebbtide thanks v much for all the info. i find it quiet helpful. i will take all in consideration. i welcome any more wisdom.

I have twin 150 yamaha 4 stroke motors. They have plenty of power and top out about 42-45 mph. The reason for the transom extension is because the rear of the boat sat too low in the water if there was alot of weight in the back of the boat and for better/more efficient crusing. If I had alot of weight in the back of the boat I would have water coming in the scrubbers. The transom extension fixed that. The anchor puller was mounted too high. It was pretty difficult to see to get on the trailer and created a blindspot at cruise. To fix this we removed the 3 inch bracket it was mounted on, cut out the deck, and created a dish to sit on the cut-out that recessed into the anchor locker and drained to the outside of the boat. The heater is an airtronic L (diesel) model and I have no problems with it or the nav net vx2 1724 electronics. I opted for the twin 7 inch screens (one on each side of the steering wheel) as opposed to a 10 inch dash model because I did not want to offset the steering wheel.

EBBTIDE...
    How much weight do you have that is causing water to come in the scrubbers? How does the extended transom compare to the original? How far was it extended? I am asking because my 27' GC is in the rigging stage and after reading this I am freaking out! I was planning on twin yamaha 150's as well.

Quote Originally Posted by overtime View Post
    EBBTIDE...
    How much weight do you have that is causing water to come in the scrubbers? How does the extended transom compare to the original? How far was it extended? I am asking because my 27' GC is in the rigging stage and after reading this I am freaking out! I was planning on twin yamaha 150's as well.
    approx 800 pounds will do it. Especially if you have the heavier parts of the load all the way in the back, near the transom. Less weight if you flood the fish holds. I have a fishing charter and with 4 clients and a deck hand in the back I would have water washing in the scrubbers. I put flaps on the scrubbers and that helped alot. The bad part is some of the water washing in would seep into the fish holds and weigh the back down even more.
    I had the bottom of the boat extended out to the end of the swimstep and about 4 or 5 feet wide so I would not have to move the trim tabs. This extension lifted the transom of the boat about 3-4 inches and helped tremendously especially in a following sea. As a side benefit it also realized improved economy and holeshot. Downside is I find it is a little more rolly on step when seas are from the sides.
    I know of at least 3 other GC's that have extended their transom after delivery. Not sure what their reasons were but maybe they can chime in here and elaborate.
    I will see if I can find some pictures.
    MMSI#

We had Jason extend our transom, as well. We would also get water coming in the scuppers on occassion. Now it just doesn't happen. Even when we are deploying the RIB with the crane. We sit 4-6" higher at rest now. She planes at lower speeds, cruise economy improved, and I do not use the trim tabs as often.

Here are a couple of crappy cell phone shots of what we did:

She now sets level at rest.

Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Spoiled one you are not getting any of that nasty gel coat on ya from the sea sport are ya?

Quote Originally Posted by elim View Post
    Spoiled one you are not getting any of that nasty gel coat on ya from the sea sport are ya?

Ha, ha! I say that all the time when we raft up. In fact, the only time I use buoys/fenders is when we raft up. I rarely use them t the dock.

I have a 27' and want to have the transom done because I sit low in the stern and water comes in. I have twin Yamaha 150 and a 9.9high thrust kicker. I built a crane last winter for mine and put the winch in my rear steer station, it would have been a lot easier to have it done at GC. If you have it done I would consider the starbird side because it seems most of these boats are a little port heavy. I also cut openings in the foot rest of my seat boxes for extra storage.

Ebbtide any chance you have a picture of the flaps you put on and where did you get them? My 27 has the same problems with water coming in the back with a load. Also who did your transom extension? I also need to do this. Also anyone else who had it done could you recommend a good welder. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GoneAgain View Post
    Also who did your transom extension? I also need to do this. Also anyone else who had it done could you recommend a good welder. thanks
    A former welder for GC did all of our extensions. He no longer resides in AK.

I think Dave at Heavy Weather Boats has done several extentions on GC boats.

Talk to Garret at Alaska Frontier Fabrication, he's an incredibly skilled welder and could easily do the job. 357-9323

Where is Heavy Weather Boats located at? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GoneAgain View Post
    Where is Heavy Weather Boats located at? thanks
    His shop is right next to AK Steel off of Arctic (S turns and RR tracks).

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    His shop is right next to AK Steel off of Arctic (S turns and RR tracks).
    In the same building on the farest east side phone# 349-4325

GoneAgain,
    My extension looks just like Spoiled One's above and was done by the same guy who moved out of state. The trim tabs don't have to be moved. The extension is between the tabs, assuming GC is still putting the tabs in the same place, and straight down from the motor bracket to the bottom of the boat. Sorry could not find my pic's of the transom extension. Depending on where you are located someone might be able to let you take a look at their boat in person. If I had to do it over again, I think I would make my extension even wider though.
    MMSI#

GoneAgain, I also had the same X- GC foreman / welder add the extension to our 28'er---what a difference in performance & additional fuel efficiency. As Spoiled One & Ebbtide mentioned previously, it's well the worth extra $$ to weld up.

Attached are a couple pics of the CET that's been modified to full:
    http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/a...00134-Copy.jpg

http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/a...02840-Copy.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast