Thread: Where to start on getting 6 Pack license?

Default Where to start on getting 6 Pack license?

Hi All,

New to the forum here. My wife and I currently live in Louisiana (northern) and are in the process of selling our property to move up to SE Alaska. I'm interested in doing some guide work. It appears that a six pack certification is necessary for ocean fishing. My question is where do you start. I'm sure some of you have yours. Does the Coast Guard have a site explaining the process? All help appreciated.

LOGDOG

You need to have a log book for all of your time on the water, as you will be required to prove a certain number of hours opperating boats. Then there is a test and some other requirments.

With the continual proposals to make halibut limited entry, ie only those that have been guiding for so many years will be able to get a permit, which can then be sold as a commodity, I'd say planning to guide on the saltwater is one of the last places a newcomer should look to as a possible job. That and the cost of boats, insurance, fuel, et al, make it a very expensive gig to get into, and questionable returns on investment.

I don't mean to put a damper on your plans, but you should honestly look at the ups and downs of the business. Not to mention you'll need a backup plan for the off season.

This site should get you started - http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/state...s/GRequire.cfm
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Thanks guys.

Paul, you may be right. I'm not opposed to guiding inland on streams and rivers. I'd prefer it in fact. We plan on buying a large boat once up there and I figured the Coast Guard training would be an asset either way.

As a back up plan for the off season I have that covered. I actually own a portable sawmill and all the equipment necessary to produce log cabin logs, flooring, trim , mouldings, etc. I'm a skilled builder and wouldn't think twice about doing only that as long as there was enough demand.

Personally, I'd just as soon keep fishing in the recreational column of my life as it has always been. Not opposed to getting paid for it though if need be. I would be interested in doing some Boat based bear hunts though. A friend of mine here was the chief editor for Petersons Outdoor Magazine for many years and now runs camps throughout western Canada in the fall. He's chomping at the bit for me to get something going in SE AK. Any of the guys here on the forum doing similar hunts?

Thanks again,

LOGDOG

Just remember that being a good fishing guide is much more than having good fishing skills. Most folks that take fishing charters are doing so for the "Alaskan experience". Hence what will make them happy is pointing out wildlife, natural features, and making them enjoy the trip. Motoring out, dropping bait, and getting each person their two halibut as quickly as possible telling them how nice their small fish are, then motoring back, is sadly what many crews do. It's not that much harder to make the trip memorable even if the fishing is mediocre.

Considering how much capital one has to tie up in a boat, and the fact that there will in the future be some means of controlling the catch or fleet, it is not the place I'd be sinking my money for an Alaskan business.

As far as hunting, you need to decide if you want to be a guide or a transporter. Look into the differences. To get a guiding license is similar to the requirements of a sixpack, but you need to be an assistant guide under a master guide for several years, then you need to find an area to guide out of, and all areas already have a sufficient number of guides.

I think the area that has growth potential are "eco" tours, ie hikers, kayakers, photographers etc that want to get out and see the wilds of Alaska.

Default do you guy know how many 8 hr days

it takes to get your transporter license? been thinking about it in the future, been logging my days for the past three seasons. just never checked on that part. heard 360 but think that was a 60 ton masters or something. thanks for any info.

Default all said and done... http://www.aknauticaltraining.com/

Quote Originally Posted by LOGDOG View Post
    Hi All,

New to the forum here. My wife and I currently live in Louisiana (northern) and are in the process of selling our property to move up to SE Alaska. I'm interested in doing some guide work. It appears that a six pack certification is necessary for ocean fishing. My question is where do you start. I'm sure some of you have yours. Does the Coast Guard have a site explaining the process? All help appreciated.

LOGDOG
    We've had several folks through this class and they've had good things to say about it: http://www.aknauticaltraining.com/

Default PS still looking for top notch 6 pak jetboat drivers anchorage/girdwood/palm based

Quote Originally Posted by chriso View Post
    We've had several folks through this class and they've had good things to say about it: http://www.aknauticaltraining.com/
    PS still looking for top notch 6 pak jetboat drivers anchorage/girdwood/palm based... 250-1235